JBL SRX Discontinued.

Re: JBL SRX Discontinued.

This was discussed elsewhere. The SRX line will continue with changes to model numbers and transducers. Because of model line re-alignment and the new VTX line array, the 728 will not be back in its current form or number, and another model is said to not come back. This will also cause the VerTec 4880 and 4880A subs to be phased out as well.

Inventory orders for big-box web/mail order shops were cut off by JBL in January to avoid massive product dumping. Smaller retailers will be able to order most SRX models indefinitely, some models will be end-of-life by July.

There is not a neodymium availability problem. There was neodymium price inflation, which has largely settled down to about 2.5x as much as it used to cost. This cost is still somewhat being absorbed, at least by B&C, and the folks that need neo (read: speakers that go in the air) are capable of paying the increase. The cost of neodymium will likely continue to go down, but it is unlikely to ever return to approximate parity with that of ceramic. What this really means is that designs that used neo because it cost about the same as ceramic are being re-evaluated and many re-designed around ceramic motor woofers. Designs that require the weight (read: big woofers that go in the air or get moved a lot) or density (read: high performance compression drivers) are staying with neodymium which, again, we have no problem getting.

I should have been more specific by saying that the current line of SRX is being discontinued, not the entire series. So if ultimately cost is the issue for JBL, we will probably see ceramic versions of some or all of the SRX?

It's probably that retailer discontinuing the SRX line, not JBL.
JBL would release a new line before it discontinued a popular line.

I should have been more specific by saying that the current line of SRX is being discontinued, not the entire series. So if ultimately cost is the issue for JBL, we will probably see ceramic versions of some or all of the SRX?

I would hope not... I currently have SRX in my inventory and that would make me start looking at other speaker lines/manufactures.

OK I spoke with JBL today and got the real story.

1. JBL cannot continue to afford to build neo drivers for SRX boxes. The cost of neo has gone up so much that to keep the boxes profitable they'd have to raise the price of the boxes significantly, pricing them out of their market tier.

2. SRX has NOT been discontinued, yet. They have only suspended MAP on them, so you may seem them being blown out online.

3. There is word that JBL is going to introduce a new SRX replacement this summer using traditional magnets.

4. Only after the new series is introduced might SRX be discontinued.

5. SRX boxes will likely always be available through the custom shop at a significant price premium.

The PRX600 series uses neo but I see the new PRX400 series does not. That fact is reflected in the increased weight. Interesting!

1. JBL cannot continue to afford to build neo drivers for SRX boxes. The cost of neo has gone up so much that to keep the boxes profitable they'd have to raise the price of the boxes significantly, pricing them out of their market tier.

2. SRX has NOT been discontinued, yet. They have only suspended MAP on them, so you may seem them being blown out online.

3. There is word that JBL is going to introduce a new SRX replacement this summer using traditional magnets.

5. SRX boxes will likely always be available through the custom shop at a significant price premium.

Do you think this will affect the VRX line as well? Specifically the VRX918/VRX915 since its practilly the same as the SRX718/SRX715? I actually wouldn't be opposed to the ideal of merging the two lines under the VRX Series, then keep the flying versions and discontinue the non flying versions. Then they can continue to offer then and at a higher price point to justify the neo (rather than a custom shop item).

If not the above do you buy SRX now while you still can? Or is the SRX replacement going to be "better" yet heavier??

Last edited:

;-P

:lol:

He'll be here all week, folks.

You can learn about neodymium magnets at Wikipedia, but the primary factor is that a very strong magnetic field can be delivered exactly where the designer wants it. The big performance/small package allows designers placement freedom they would not have with larger, heavier magnets.

I wonder if there will be a noticable difference in sound quality between the newer and older models? I can see that being a real problem for people who are looking to add another set of tops to "match" their extisting cabs.

I wonder if there will be a noticable difference in sound quality between the newer and older models? I can see that being a real problem for people who are looking to add another set of tops to "match" their extisting cabs.

There should be plenty on the used market for the foreseeable future - and the original SRX Neo boxes will always be available via the custom shop.