K&M mic stand - Crimp wobble/looseness fixes

Marlow Wilson

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Montreal/Ottawa
What are your preferred fixes for this?

I'm talking about where the threaded boom attachment is crimped to the tube. I've got a handful of stands that are less than perfect and some that are downright unusable.

All ideas are appreciated regardless of tools or skills required...

Re: K&M mic stand - Crimp wobble/looseness fixes

I used two part epoxy glue to fix one of mine that did that. I am sure there are other ways, but this was cheap and easy. It should hold as well as a crimp does.

I prefer hot melt glue for similar space filling bonding. It allows you to get it apart is needed at a later point.

Are you talking about the piece that the mic clip attaches to liaison the boom arm? That piece that just starts spinning after time?

This was my first idea, but I wasn't certain about longevity versus recrimping, brazing or other combined techniques.

I did this for my K&M kick drum stand that came loose and it hasn't shown any signs of coming apart any time soon. A pop rivet is a pretty solid mechanical fastener and should last forever.

I re-roll a crimp all the way around on ours with a vice and a pair of wobbly screwdrivers. Sometimes it doesn't do the trick, those are drill and pin (or outright replace since they are decades old)

I drill a couple 1/8" opposing holes in the tube and give each one a quick plug weld. Quick shot with a high speed air sander and some paint and all is solid.

I'm an avid do-it-yourselfer, and I use K&M stands, but aren't all of these solutions pretty dramatic for a stand that should be under warranty? I haven't had any of my stands do this yet, and they're a few years old, but if one did, I would sure hope that K&M would provide parts to make them as good as new, so I wouldn't have to resort to welding!

Of course, there are many different qualities of K&M mic stand, which ones are everyone using? I'm using, I think, the best ones they sell. I don't know the part numbers off the top of my head.

Are you talking about the piece that the mic clip attaches to liaison the boom arm? That piece that just starts spinning after time?

I too am having a hard time understanding what part of the stand you guys are talking about. Any pictures? I have never had any trouble with my K+M stands.

I too am having a hard time understanding what part of the stand you guys are talking about. Any pictures? I have never had any trouble with my K+M stands.

This, but mine all have the larger "american" mic clip fitting.

While K&M stands tend to hold up for a very long time, this crimped mic clip attachment seems to be one of the most common failure points. Usually this only happens on stands that at over a decade old.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-22 at 11.02.56 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-22 at 11.02.56 AM.png
    16 KB · Views: 0

This, but mine all have the larger "american" mic clip fitting.

While K&M stands tend to hold up for a very long time, this crimped mic clip attachment seems to be one of the most common failure points. Usually this only happens on stands that at over a decade old.

Oh, OK! I guess at that point, I'd buy new stands for the real shows, and leave the repaired stands for rentals and other abusive climates.

Kudos to K&M for building stands that last 10 years, and are still in good enough condition to be worth repairing at that point!

What are your preferred fixes for this?

i've only had a few that were worth putting the repair time into over the years.

on some, i simply cut the end off and re-crimped using a press.
on others, i drilled perpendicular to the crimp and inserted a roll-pin.
i suppose another option would be to remove the adapter, knurl the shaft and press-fit it into the tube with an epoxy or loctite bonding agent.

R~

Oh, OK! I guess at that point, I'd buy new stands for the real shows, and leave the repaired stands for rentals and other abusive climates.

Kudos to K&M for building stands that last 10 years, and are still in good enough condition to be worth repairing at that point!

Yes. My nicer stands are in a trunk for 'real' shows while the more battered ones are in smaller canvas bags for rental use. As things are going, the battered ones see more use and need some TLC. Most of my stands are the 210/9's or 210/6's, if model number has anything to do with it.

Put two finishing nails where the original crimp was. Put it in a vice, and crank away.

Works everytime and takes about 30 seconds.