Large aircraft hangar acoustics

Re: Large aircraft hangar acoustics

Hi Tom.

Yes at the Wings Over The Rockies and yes the doors will be closed.

I can stack two subs under the 153's. trying to figure out how to get them higher than that without flying them.

The stage deck is about 2ft up. I have 6.5' and 4ft truss being used for lighting but I am not sure that will be stable enough to put a speaker on top not to mention difficult to aim.

I suppose I could put them on te 6ft truss and the truss on the floor and the stage would offer a little lateral support . I don't want to risk them getting knocked over.

Rent some scaffolding, and the subs, you may not want to plug them in.

Well the event came and went and I am still hearing the echo.. :)

The band rocked it and did their best to keep levels low. There was a bit of a communication gap between the venue and the organizer. We were told by the organizer to start sound check at 2:30 and finish no later than 3:45 (event started at 4). The band started playing and all of a sudden the facility manager comes running over to me to shut it down and saying we cant do sound check until 4. So sound check didn't really happen till after the doors opened. Oh well...would have liked a bit more time to fine tune it.

Overall it turned out ok. It definitely sounded the best within 100 feet of the stage, beyond that the room noise overpowered it. We didnt setup any delays. They plan to make this event an annual event and if they want it to be bigger, next time I definitely know what I want to do different. The KW's are decent speakers but do run out of gas in that room. Since the stage was smaller than expected we ended up having to stack the subs on the floor and pole mounted the KW153's on top.

Photo Feb 23, 4 30 26 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 23, 7 38 59 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 23, 7 52 55 PM.jpg

Very cool. I've never visited that place, though I was stationed at Lowry AFB back in the '80s. I spy an F-4 (left of stage) ... my favorite A/C to work on.

A few more pics of the aircraft...

And yes that is the model X-wing used for the star wars films. Harrison Ford is on the board of directors of the museum.
Photo Feb 23, 7 54 38 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 23, 7 55 59 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 23, 7 58 38 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 23, 7 58 57 PM.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the photos and for the close up of the F-4. I worked RF-4C reconnaissance.

Just north of Salt Lake City is the Hill AFB Aerospace Museum. Link: http://www.hill.af.mil/library/museum/
They have a respectable display of various aircraft inside and outdoors, including an SR-71 and an F-111 that I worked on in England over 20 years ago. Lots of events are held there, especially retirements. Sound is always challenging, given that it's always set up by someone helping the retiree. Usually just powered SOS (Anchor brand).

We also hold a number of events at a hangar used by active duty (F-16 and soon to be F-35), which is especially challenging because they "deployed" six (6) MI level speakers on top of the roofs of the offices inside the hangar. They are level, pointing outward and not down, and present a great example of how to achieve comb filtering. One of these days I might talk to the person in charge in an effort to make improvements.

Actually a big F@@@ off horn like that turned WAAAAAAY down and aimed correctly is probably exactly what you need. I went to see General Tibbett speak at an event in an A/C hanger and knowing what I know moved way out to the side near a speaker to hear what the man said, I'm sure a lot of the people in there didn't hear much that day other than low level rumble and the passing aircraft outside. Shame really as the old man was very interesting, and the seats were circa $250 minimum each. G

Did you move the stage? Pic 3 from from the earlier post looks like you poured a some Mio on the event… "it changes everything."