lighten up some subs

Re: lighten up some subs

IMHE I've not had a single Eminence driver fail om me. I believe there are Eminence drivers in my SH-50s and I know there are some in my Labs. Never had a driver issue in close to three years operation on those speakers :)
There are no Eminance drivers in the SH50's-at least from the Danley factory. No telling what happends to cabinets when they get in the hands of "the public".

But there are Eminance drivers in some of the other Danley products.

I ran 8 Eminance Omega 18's in W horn boxes for 10 years with no failures. Not even a burp. Interestingly enough all 8 were blown within a year after I left the company. I tend to agree with Ivan's take on operator induced problems.

Our version has a larger voice coil and different vent cooling-among other differences-although the basic construction/look is the same.

I'm not sure how many people grasp HOW much this effect has on the properties of a speaker. Light speakers will be drastically effected by their coil design(BL product)/weight, spider configuration, and venting mechanism. Many manufacturers contract specific drivers from OEMs for their enclosures. Putting COTS (commercial off the shelf) OEMs into a enclosure designed for a specific driver might not work out very well if it is not the exact driver it was designed for. Without taking measurements to verify, you might find your self with a highly over/under damped enclosure after the replacement.

Mark.