Looking for budget bass amplifier advice

Re: Looking for budget bass amplifier advice

I brought it up as an example of scale.

But the question is what constitutes effective help? And what constitutes puny mains service? I feel that my area on NY has some of the oldest infrastructure in the nation yet on an indoor bar show I can get a full band on one or 2 20A circuits (LED lights). Of course I prefer having more but as a practical measure it can and does work.
Most of us I guess have suffered through shows with some form of power issue. Certainty I have several time this year. But all the issues can be traced back to insufficient wiring in some way or another.

If you assume the smallest likely service is a 200 amp 220 V single phase panel that can provide 44,000 watts (approx) that means the pole transformer is sized for that or greater. The power companies and codes enforcement are very strict on this.

I understand the benefits of maximum power transfer I just don't feel it has any real useful benefit in the stated problem: "which amp for my bass rig"

Being QSC fan i suggest something in the PLX line. The 3602 will maybe cost just over $1K new.

Wow, you hit it, as I'm a lineman for the company serving power to you.

Just a few key thoughts, there is no 220 service to any house, its 240volt, 120/240. Also the most common used transformer is a 50 kva, which is good for 208 amps a leg, now this transformer normally feeds 5 to 20 houses, I know broad ranges but depends on customer demands.
Transformers can be run at there rated output, it does add a lot of heat and depending on the outdoor temps things can get pretty hot. What we are regulated to is maintaining a voltage of 113 to 124 at your riser head, doesn't matter on transformer size at this time. Regulators and cap banks on the primary side are also there to maintain constant voltage, lol in many cases.
As usual lot of topics get off topic, but if the op is thinking of the crest pro 200 series, bring a spare.

Ps, Tim, you do have some old infrastucture, before the 3 stooges era, back in the horse and buggy day linemen to be more exact.

Just a few key thoughts, there is no 220 service to any house, its 240volt, 120/240. Also the most common used transformer is a 50 kva, which is good for 208 amps a leg, now this transformer normally feeds 5 to 20 houses, I know broad ranges but depends on customer demands.
Transformers can be run at there rated output, it does add a lot of heat and depending on the outdoor temps things can get pretty hot. What we are regulated to is maintaining a voltage of 113 to 124 at your riser head, doesn't matter on transformer size at this time. Regulators and cap banks on the primary side are also there to maintain constant voltage, lol in many cases.
As usual lot of topics get off topic, but if the op is thinking of the crest pro 200 series, bring a spare.

Ps, Tim, you do have some old infrastucture, before the 3 stooges era, back in the horse and buggy day linemen to be more exact.

Slight clarification:
Those capacitor banks are there to provide reactive power (power factor correction)

Just a few key thoughts, there is no 220 service to any house, its 240volt, 120/240.

I stand corrected :)

Also the most common used transformer is a 50 kva, which is good for 208 amps a leg, now this transformer normally feeds 5 to 20 houses, I know broad ranges but depends on customer demands.

I still see knob and tube wiring in use here.. not in the city but the barns in the surrounding countryside.

I see many instance of substandard electrical work. at present I have sound and lights + power distro in an old building that was once a textile mill. some of the breakers in the panel had exploded apparently due to getting wet.

All the facilities that I take care of full time had substandard/insufficient power for for the existing loads. All were upgraded at significant expense. One 200A service was upped to 600 A which required pole transformer change. After an arson fire, one site was changed from closed delta to Y. This necessitated adding a buckboost transformer to operate some remote 230V relays.

One bar was originally a "coach house"

This fall I was recording at a benefit where the electric panel getting wet because it was raining and the roof was leaking. This was the stage power. No it wasn't like this just because someone was working on it. But help was close at hand in the event of a fire... after all this WAS the fire department.

<edit typo>

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Slight clarification:
Those capacitor banks are there to provide reactive power (power factor correction)

Which in turn drop current, less current less voltage drop, so on,,,

In an electric power system, a load with a low power factor draws more current than a load with a high power factor for the same amount of useful power transferred. The higher currents increase the energy lost in the distribution system, and require larger wires and other equipment. Because of the costs of larger equipment and wasted energy, electrical utilities will usually charge a higher cost to industrial or commercial customers where there is a low power factor.

Vinny - the amps are out to a select few, steve on peavey forums has a few IPR higher watt series. I would say they will be out on the streets soon.

I am gonna grab a few and beat on them if they hold up good ill switch over to them.