Lumbar Array?

Re: Lumbar Array?

Would need a huge budget if they mic'd each piano with 17 mics like that guy on LSI did a few years back (for Warren Zevon)...

But seriously - does anyone know the reason for this array setup ? I initially thought it was to do some sort of 360 degree audience but the second pic doesn't show seats in that area.

Flown monitors for the band or, a kind of cancellation PA like cardiod subs ?

Andrew

Would need a huge budget if they mic'd each piano with 17 mics like that guy on LSI did a few years back (for Warren Zevon)...

But seriously - does anyone know the reason for this array setup ? I initially thought it was to do some sort of 360 degree audience but the second pic doesn't show seats in that area.

Flown monitors for the band or, a kind of cancellation PA like cardiod subs ?

Andrew

The rear facing cabinets are for the French Horns...

The first picture made me think flown stage monitors under the main arrays until I looked at the second picture and saw where they were aimed.

Looking at where the arrays are relative to the seating and their aiming, I also have to wonder if someone thinks they are actually providing a stereo system for all of the seating or if they don't expect a full audience.

I also wonder about the purpose of the two speakers on a stick upstage of the choral/orchestra risers, although they do cast nice shadows in the projected image. Makes you wonder what happens with the projection when you have people on the risers.

According to Ivan Brusic:
This "S-array" is a part of quite complex system designed with goal to improve acoustic evironment both for artists and audience. As one can see from first photo, venue is an old-fashioned universal concert and congress hall, with side walls too far apart. With such proportions, acoustics can't be ideal. So I designed sound system which has to improve known shortcomings of room acoustics. Besides this array, I used surround system which consists of 54 cabinets mounted along walls, some speakers on the ceiling, and few cabinets on the stage, specially for choir, which is situated on risers behind pianos. I used PM5D to make kind of delay matrix in order to correlate all the mics and speakers.

I believe he's the house tech at the Sava Center, where the pics were taken.

Last edited:

According to Ivan Brusic:

I believe he's the house tech at the Sava Center, where the pics were taken.
But his statement say NOTHING about the concept or usage.

I do not know of him-but just as a "general statement", I hear people do all sorts of "things" all the time-yet what they do has no basis or science behind it, and just because somebody does it-does not mean it is right or that it works.

But just from looking at the photos-it "appears" as if the installed system would have a hard time covering the seats-especially those off to the sides.

But there may be things I am missing and don't have enough information on.