Lumbar Array?

Re: Lumbar Array?

What they were trying to accomplish was having a very diffuse sound-as a large pipe organ would have (that has pipes in the front and rear of the room) and is located in a reverberant room in which the sound is bouncing around all over the space.

Part of the "organ experience" is being surrounded by sound-hitting you from all directions.

Everything that we "go for" in terms of sound system design is COMPLETELY OPPOSITE to what you want with an organ system. You WANT multiple time arrivals-no localization and so forth.

So all the rules get thrown out. If you look at a typical electronic organ speaker setup, the speakers are facing all kinds of different ways-nothing coupled and such.

Yes, I realize this. First of all, I find it a little funny, that the system sounded right after they made it "wrong". Mind you, in this context the L'acoustic speakers are essentially "backline" so there goes all the "rules"...

Secondly, I mentioned it just to give an example of someone who had done something similar to what was reported in the OP.

BTW, the noise cancellation systems I have heard of were either in cruise ship piano bars or in the cab of laung haul trucks - both intended to cancel out LF engine rumble.

I know Yamaha make and sell "speaker matrixes" With DSP engines intended to make a room sound as if it is more "live" than it really is - very cool stuff.

I find noise canceling headphones more tiring to listen to. That makes me wonder if the ear or the brain is registering that there is energy there whether it is perceived as sound or not.

And I have done the point the speaker at the wall thing but for diffusion of effects in a theater setting where we didn't want any localization to the speaker itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I know Yamaha make and sell "speaker matrixes" With DSP engines intended to make a room sound as if it is more "live" than it really is - very cool stuff.
The "problem" with the Yamaha systems (that I am aware of) is that the most they can "stretch" out the reverb time is twice the natural reverb of the room. They do not add a reverb engine (like the other systems).

So the "effect" does not have as much range as a LARES system for example.

Yes the Yamaha system can give a bit more life to a room-but (in my opinion) is expensive for the result that can be achieved. Others systems have a lot more "wow" factor to them and can simulate a lot more different acoustical spaces for more variety.

Based on this, http://www.jblpro.com/press/june07/SAVA.pdf, it seems that the venue apparently already incorporates some form of physically variable acoustics and perhaps some of the wall speakers referenced by Ivan Brusic may be the JBL cinema surround speakers installed as part of the cinema system upgrades.

The comments Andrew quoted referenced only delay, not reverb. My guess is that since they apparently have two 'layers' of surround speakers, probably one serving the center of the room and one the areas closer to the walls, he can have a shorter delay for the speakers covering the center of the room to try to make that perceived as early lateral reflections. But with just delay of the direct signals they would seem to be be more discrete rather than diffuse reflections.

Last edited: