Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ask the TM, I just push buttons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jeffsw6

Freshman
Jan 10, 2011
Louisville, KY
I think a Wiki would be great. I am not at all familiar with administration of Wikimedia or any other similar software, though. I'm guessing it is straight-forward, and I will create a Wiki if it is generally desired, unless David and crew would rather create it on the same hosting service used for the forum.

I presume a Wiki is basically easy to migrate from one server to another if needed in the future, just like a forum. So its first home need not be its permanent home.

Thoughts?

Re: Make a Wiki?

I can host anything within reason at no cost to me (thanks, day job!) If there is someone who is knowledgeable about the sysadmin part of running a Wiki, then I would rather rope that person into it than learn how to set one up myself.
icon_smile.gif

I voted yes, but I believe the wiki should be connected to this site in someway.

That is what I meant. If it were hosted separately (temporarily or permanently) it could be, for example, http://wiki.soundforums.net and would be easy to have on the same server, or a different server, without breaking hyperlinks to the content on it. It could also be named that way if it were on Dreamhost, in case there is a need to divide them onto different servers in the future (plan ahead.)

I think a Wiki to store knowledge would be great, but I also know nothing about starting it. It should be easy to stick it on the same server running this software, as wiki.soundforums.net or soundforums.net/wiki. What's the best software? If we have a consensus I will try and make it happen, but I don't want to be the one ''in charge'' of it.

I think a Wiki to store knowledge would be great, but I also know nothing about starting it. It should be easy to stick it on the same server running this software, as wiki.soundforums.net or soundforums.net/wiki. What's the best software? If we have a consensus I will try and make it happen, but I don't want to be the one ''in charge'' of it.

I set up vault.soundforums.net. I put on MediaWiki, as it was an easy install through Dreamhost, and looks pretty much the same as Wikipedia.

It'll be there, but I don't know anything at all about setting up a Wiki.

I vote big YES. I actually just mentioned this in another thread. I'm an idiot when it comes to putting stuff together online, but if you need help generating content I can help out building excel matrices to compare some products, gathering images, etc.

I'm pretty busy these days but would much rather help build content that will actually remain useful and won't be lost in the press release bullshit of PSW.

Now on to learning about wikis....

I was mulling around today wondering about the concept of ''user generated content'' and how it related to the old forum; thinking about the regular lashings the Study Hall articles received and our ongoing jokes about repeat threads, I also thought a wiki would be great.

I'll start adding some blank pages; once things get filled in, we can send people in useful directions when they come in with newbie questions, things like that.

It was always the userbase that made PSW great. The more of us land here, the better.

And, I am not at all above feeling a bit of an F-You to people who decided maximizing profit was more important than the huge amount of content and community we had.

I have made one ''gear page'' with basic specs of the LX7ii console, as well as a list that may be formatted in a way that would be useful to quickly compare products at a glance. http://vault.soundforums.net/index.php?title=Live_Analog_Consoles

Anyone can change it, of course; so if you think my format is not useful or can be improved ... edit!
icon_smile.gif

Obviously this Wiki should contain information about concepts and methods, as well as gear. I may write about parallel compression later tonight. Articles on a Wiki should (in theory) be a little bit more structured than a forum post explaining the same topic, and written without any assumed context in mind (such as the user's application or existing knowledge.) So that makes it a different challenge than explaining the same thing to a forum poster, but it is IMO the reason a Wiki is useful.

Thanks to David and crew for setting up the Wiki!

I am probaby not going to write any new information, but if anyone would like me to act as an editor, feel free to have me look at things, either before or after posting.

I am probaby not going to write any new information, but if anyone would like me to act as an editor, feel free to have me look at things, either before or after posting.

Editing is contributing! You can click on the ''Recent changes'' link on the Wiki to see an edit history of a page or related pages, so anyone can identify new edits and proof/adjust/correct them.

I also thought there might be some people who want to go through the editing process in private before posting the material.

edit-See, homonym problems right in this post

I also thought there might be some people who want to go through the editing process in private before posting the material.

I imagine this is true, but the nice thing about a Wiki is an author can pretty much feel free to post what we have done at a given moment, not spell check every word or proof-read every sentence, and maybe even get some facts wrong; and the author or anyone else can later correct mistakes. I would hope everyone feels free to make any constructive edits/corrections/etc to items on the Wiki, since that process makes it better than a directory of outdated PDFs.

We have all seen, and maybe participated in, bashing some of the ''articles'' on PSW. With a Wiki, we can have a repository of more ''formal'' content like that, check each-others' work, and give Tim Mc plenty of reason to keep on saying ''use the search!''
icon_smile.gif