Meyer Leo

Aug 15, 2012
Orlando
Anybody have the details on this system? Where does it fit in among the current products? Driver Complement?

I will probably hear it in action later this month just wondering what to expect.

Re: Meyer Leo

Anybody have the details on this system? Where does it fit in among the current products? Driver Complement?

I will probably hear it in action later this month just wondering what to expect.

As you probably know, there is no information yet on the Meyer website, and AFAIK the only public appearance was the Outside Lands Festival that made the trade press. Considering the way it was used in that event (as mains with Milo delays), I'd guess it fits in at the top of the line array products. Who cares what the driver complement is?

Mac

Many people do out of general interest. Much like they might care how many cylinders their car has or what processors the newest digital mixer has.
I just bought a new car. The numbers that were most important to me was 0-60 time-gas milage etc. I didn't care if it was 2 cylinders or 12.

While most people are "interested" they (in many cases) "predetermine" what "they think" the cabinet is capable of.

ANd this knowledge is most often based on information that they have experiences with other products that use the same size drivers.

Now never mind the fact that one cabinet may be using a better quality driver-or using it in a way that provides beter results and so forth.

The old "I've heard xyz size dirvers and I don't like them-or a driver that size can't do that" and so forth.

So the cabinet is never given a chance to pass or fail on its own actual performance.

I do agree it is an interest-but usually not in a good way-or at least it gives preconceived notions-however how true or false they may be.

I just bought a new car. The numbers that were most important to me was 0-60 time-gas milage etc. I didn't care if it was 2 cylinders or 12.

While most people are "interested" they (in many cases) "predetermine" what "they think" the cabinet is capable of.

ANd this knowledge is most often based on information that they have experiences with other products that use the same size drivers.

Now never mind the fact that one cabinet may be using a better quality driver-or using it in a way that provides beter results and so forth.

The old "I've heard xyz size dirvers and I don't like them-or a driver that size can't do that" and so forth.

So the cabinet is never given a chance to pass or fail on its own actual performance.

I do agree it is an interest-but usually not in a good way-or at least it gives preconceived notions-however how true or false they may be.

I am just interested that is all. I know better than to prejudge it based on this. Why do so many Danley spec sheets and comments from Danley employees brag of high driver counts summing in one horn? It must be because some people (me) are interested and impressed by such info. On the other hand Geo T uses 8" drivers and sounds huge. Its just me being a geek that is all. I will now quietly wait for the spec sheet. :)~:)~:smile:

carry on

Steve

We have it at Caprices Festival, Crans Montana.

I am on stage, not out front, and of course all the Meyer guys with their glasses and laptops set it up.

Of course lots of people say it sounds great. The subs are flown which I think makes the system sound as a whole rather than separate "subs and tops". In cardioid mode I think with 2 facing back and 4 facing front. Sub is a really comfortable level on stage, even though we're right underneath them.

Sub coverage though is not so great, I think FOH guy said there is actually not enough now up front. But sounds really nice at FOH.

The are fucking heavy, of course with the amps built in.

Still have that horrible live sound HF. I don't care if it measures flat. There is always that harsh ringing or distortion or resonance or whatever it is. Just plays with the vocals in such a distracting way. Of course it could be the combo with the room, in a big tent, so could be early reflections from the sides or roof that are relatively close to the speakers.

I'm not sure if it is something I am especially sensitive to, or it just is how live sound should sound, but I hope one day that the harsh HF will be fixed!

Of course there is plenty headroom for any genre. The festival has had a cool lineup this year, covering a big range of styles, I don't think there has been any complaints. Hip hop night tonight and then we're out of here!

According to the Meyer Sound website, driver complement is 2 x 15" and 2 x 4" compression drivers. It also reveals that the front of the line array boxes open up when splaying which tells us, if my understanding of physics is correct, that there must be some self-interference going on since we have short wavelengths emanating from spatially separated sources. At least I don't know of a way to cheat physics on this?

There is at least one large install with LEO. Last report was that it didn't sound to great because it was covered in ice. I am indeed interested in what is revolutionary with these boxes.

Meyer Leo is out of this world (game changer). We have it and available to go out mid April.

Ugh... I hate when people use that phrase.

No offence to you personally Daniel, but unless Meyer have redefined how a line array works, then its not a game changer. the game is exactly the same, they might just be better at it.

The only large format product I've seen of late which potentially changes the game is Martin MLA, but thats because it actually works differently to everything else...

/rant :)

I read through the Meyer website, and one thing surprises me. If you look at the Marysville application profile, it seems like they haven't increased hf output capabilities or extension on the leo compared to some of their older designs. I really like a lot of their boxes, but I find that they in general lack hf compared to some of their competitors, especially when you try to cover long distances.

http://www.meyersound.com/sites/default/files/leo_application_profile_marysville.pdf

There is at least one large install with LEO. Last report was that it didn't sound to great because it was covered in ice. I am indeed interested in what is revolutionary with these boxes.

Here are some news articles we have posted on the LEO system:
Meyer Sound LEO Unleashed at San Francisco Outside Lands Festival
Meyer Sound LEO to Power the Nobel Peace Prize Concert on Dec 11
Michel Sardou Takes Meyer Sound LEO on Arena Tour

I have yet to hear the boxes, but have heard only good things from those at Outside Lands.

We have it at Caprices Festival, Crans Montana.

The are fucking heavy, of course with the amps built in.

Just on the weight thing with Meyer... in the article Helge posted (great read thanks!) it lists a LEO box as weighing in at 120Kg. VDosc is 108Kg and K1 is 106Kg so LEO it isn't miles off the mark. Ok you have to run mains and signal up but overall to hang either the Meyer (and I bet the grid is also heavy if it's anything like the Milo grid) or the L-Acoustics your still going to need similar loadings/ratings on you points. To truck either it will be similar and you'll still need a good crew call / telehandler to get the boxes on/off the truck.

p.s. I know it uses 12inch drivers instead of 15 but Milo is 107Kg.