Midas Pro 1

Randy Gartner

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Pennsylvania
randygartnersound.com
My Pro 1 started acting up about a year ago. I had one channel that was showing strong signal ( clipping ), even though nothing was plugged into it. No biggie because it was a channel I didn't use. Then about a month ago, I had another channel that did the same thing though the signal wasn't as strong. Last week, I had trouble getting the outboard effect through the board.After repatching it,I got it working. Then last night it really got weird. Mic plugged into channel 2,was coming through channel 7. Many other channels weren't working. I had to use my back up. Anyone else with similar problems? I've had the console several years. Could reinstalling the software correct it?

Hello Randy,

I have a Pro 1 which, when it works, works very well. However, I have, and continue to have, several issues with the console, one being a similar problem to yours; not exactly the same problem, but similar.

And just yesterday I was experiencing patching issues with a KT DN9630, that are not consistent so are very difficult to troubleshoot. I continue to encounter various issues, much of which doesn't appear to be due to my lack of familiarity with the console.

It's always a coin toss as to how well it's going to perform. Which is sad for a console that cost what it did (plus the tour case...plus the stage box, etc).

I hope you get yours sorted out in short order. I've given up with the Music Group, but I hope you are more successful. The Pro 1 is a very good-sounding console...and I enjoy using it and working on it...when it's working well (though I believe I might just have to bite the bullet and consider purchasing something else that is more reliable).

Good luck,

Stu

I still have the same problems but now some new ones. One channel doesn't work at all. I have several channels showing signal but ntohing is plugged in or even patched to those channels. I have tried other show files and have the same problems. Not sure if creating new show or downloading latest firmware would fix it.I did send Midas my one show file and they said they didn't see the issues I am seeing. It almost seems like it could be a hardware issue. Any thoughts?

Hi Randy - do the inputs show level even when no cable is connected to the input? If so, it's a hardware issue. We had a similar problem with one of our Avid SC48, just out of warranty. Avid swapped out the offending 16 channel input module and all is well.

Do you have DL series stage box? If so, connect it up, do whatever routing voodoo Midas requires to assign the DL to the desk and see if the problem channels remain to be problems. If it goes away I'd say the Pro1 local input cards need solder touched up.

Sounds like you need to talk to the Midas folks at the Music Group "care" facility in Lost Wages, Randy. Good luck with that as many of the savvy folks in the Midas division have been surplussed.