My head is spinning....

Geri O'Neil

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
US
(at my age, that doesn't take much anymore...
icon_lol.gif
)

...from the shitstorm that has blown up over there in just a couple of weeks.

I have't posted much lately, but just what the hell happened to cause all of this? I was kinda following along the progress of the new PSW testing, but it just, like, came un-glued.

I could make a couple of calls, but I'm afraid the parties on the other end of the phone lines have their hands full at the moment.

Oh, well, this place should be fun to watch (especially with how fast it appears to be coming together).

Geri O

Re: My head is spinning....

(at my age, that doesn't take much anymore...
icon_lol.gif
)

...from the shitstorm that has blown up over there in just a couple of weeks.

I have't posted much lately, but just what the hell happened to cause all of this? I was kinda following along the progress of the new PSW testing, but it just, like, came un-glued.

I could make a couple of calls, but I'm afraid the parties on the other end of the phone lines have their hands full at the moment.

Oh, well, this place should be fun to watch (especially with how fast it appears to be coming together).

Geri O

Simple answer... Someone forgot rule numero uno. The customer is always right.

Welcome to SF.net Geri. Glad you could make it.

At least Doug said there'd be some sort of archive of the old threads. It'd kill me to see all that info gone

The sad thing is that the Powers That Be at PSW saw absolutely no value in it, at least until a bunch of us made noise. It has served as a personal reminder to me that anytime I write something remotely technical, I should put my copyright notice on it and keep a copy for myself.

As for PSW, while I wish them well, I think they might have shot themselves in the foot and are on their way to being the next Harmony Central. Time will tell. I'm not gone from PSW until they lock the old forums, and I'll pop into the new store from time to time, but I doubt I'll ever hit 8,000 posts there again.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

The people mattered to me more than the format. When I saw how people and their opinions were treated, I was not happy. I think the interest of community and a chance to define our own editorial position can make this sets of boards stronger.

I hope that the longstanding members of this community reach out to their professional contacts and make sure we have the same (or better) cross section of the people who design, market, and use the equipment.

This is the crux of the matter:

''All content is the property of the original poster.''

You'll find this statement at the bottom of the page you're reading at the moment.........

All content is the property of the original poster.

You'll find this statement at the bottom of the page you're reading at the moment.........

Yes, I saw that. My comments are regarding whatever content I create and post elsewhere, but in general it's asserting one's ownership rights at the time of creation the work.

Actually -

I would guess that if you went back and read the agreement you okay'd when signing up, you'd see that all posts, comments, etc. become their property. Which means that if you have great information on PSW, I would not blindly copy it to this new forum - think of it as plagiarism.

This seems sucky, but best to keep relations friendly.

Not dissimilar to working for companies such as Mattel in their bratz case, where they asserted that ideas generated at Mattel or even 2 years later were mattel's property. Why? Because Mattel works on concepts 2-3 years out at a time, so they were protected. Their place of work probably helped stimulate concepts, ideas that wouldn't have been borne out of a vacuum. Interesting case to Google.

Actually -

I would guess that if you went back and read the agreement you okay'd when signing up, you'd see that all posts, comments, etc. become their property.

First, no that is not the case. I actually went back through the registration process when this all blew up. There was no such indication.

Quote: said:
Which means that if you have great information on PSW, I would not blindly copy it to this new forum - think of it as plagiarism.

Second, I'm not sure ones copyright can be given away with no payment for services rendered. Even if they claimed sole copyright in the registration agreement, I doubt it would hold up in court. As authors of the ''contract'' the burden is on them to prove that the contract was broken and to prove the contract lawful and valid in the first place. That is the nature of contract law in the US at least.

This seems sucky, but best to keep relations friendly.

Agree, but no one is going to tell me that my copyright to my work has been taken away when it clearly has not.

Not dissimilar to working for companies such as Mattel in their bratz case, where they asserted that ideas generated at Mattel or even 2 years later were mattel's property. Why? Because Mattel works on concepts 2-3 years out at a time, so they were protected. Their place of work probably helped stimulate concepts, ideas that wouldn't have been borne out of a vacuum. Interesting case to Google.

This is very much a different case from the current one. As an employee to a company it is well known and understood that the ideas you create related to the business in which you are involved while employed are property of the company at which you created them.

Ideas or creations off company property are up for debate, but the courts can split hairs. Unless you have a strict contract, there is very little that a company can do to enforce that. They may get lucky in court, they may not. The closer the new idea is to current or future business plans, the less chance the defendant will have.

I am not an attorney but I do work in Intellectual Property for a Federal agency and spend most of my days with attorneys discussing IP issues.

As a federal agency, we have agreements with every employee that stipulate any work done on or off work hours at any location belong to the federal government as long as they relate to your principal duties for the government. If you work as a federal plumber and invent a new toilet, they own it. If you invented a new distro you own it. The basis is that the employer invests great deals of money and time to train you in your professional duties and anything created from that rightfully belongs to them since they effectually invested in it.

Copyright can be freely given away without any monetary exchange. The Federal government cannot claim copyright on anything because of federal law. However, Federal agencies may HOLD copyright which is freely given to them. We routinely get IP from our contractors through a simple letter that says ''We own copyright to project xxx and have decided to assign our interests to the federal government.'' No exchange of money required. It is the form of a gift, but could have been provided as a requirement under contract.

All content is the property of the original poster.

Let me make it clear that anyone who would like a copy of the entire database will be accommodated. This is not our data, it is ''our'' data. There is no point in trying to own it, the value is in the community around it.

''All content is the property of the original poster.''

Let me make it clear that anyone who would like a copy of the entire database will be accommodated. This is not our data, it is ''our'' data. There is no point in trying to own it, the value is in the community around it.

I goofed in not placing quotes in the original post. I have edited it above to correct that oversight.

I was not making a statement, merely quoting what I was delighted to find written at the bottom of the page.

You may now rock on.....

Dick,

To contribute to hosting (and there's a button at the bottom): http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=14220

If you really mean steak dinners... PayPal David and I, I guess?

Just quoting from the DreamHost blurb:

''Because you're donating directly through DreamHost, rest assured that your donation will only be used to pay for this site's hosting fees. The site owner won't be able to run off and spend your donation on DVDs, fine steak dinners, or anything else completely unrelated to their web hosting bill!''

I'll be sending in my $.02 as soon as I get my PayPal activated again. Haven't used it for a while and keep forgetting my password.

And it seems with the shit storm, most, if not all of the power posters from PSW have moved on...

We'll see what happens

Evan

I'm not sure if I am considered a ''power poster''. I do hold myself in high regard.
icon_cool.gif
I have not moved on yet (and i don't make casual threats).

I joined here today for one reason, and that is to ask whomever is mounting the denial of services attack on the old PSW to cease and desist. While I don't expect anybody to admit doing it, (it is probably a criminaI act), I suspect somebody here knows who is doing it, if he doesn't see this post.

This is not playing fair, and will be deducted from his lifetime karma acct. This asymmetrical attack (pissing in the community well so to speak) is indefensible on any level.

The tone of moderation, at least from the self-appointed ''sheriff'' over there has gone from bad to worse. I will not defend his judgement, or behavior, but I can understand why he is so angry, at least this week.

We are supposed to be adults, at least those of us older than Evan. :lol:so lets act professionally. If PSW decides to commit suicide it is their option, they don't need to be pushed down the rabbit hole.

JR

PS: bennie there looks like a mistake on your registration ''I agree'' screen where it says for 13 year olds to sign up here... unless that's what you meant.. looks like maybe a redirect link is missing..