My head is spinning....

Re: My head is spinning....

Welcome JR...

Bennett posted on this forum pretty promptly after the slow down began on the old PSW forum... and I think we are all in agreement that such attacks are just absolutely uncool.

I agree that there is absolutely no need to assist in creating anymore trouble for the PSW forum... they seem to have plenty to deal with on their own.

Any content that you provide to either forum will be a great boon to the audio community at large, I hope you find a place where you feel compelled to continue to share your vast amounts of knowledge and insight... I know I will continue to read and follow your posts, regardless of their location.

Dick,

To contribute to hosting (and there's a button at the bottom): http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=14220

If you really mean steak dinners... PayPal David and I, I guess?

Just quoting from the DreamHost blurb:

''Because you're donating directly through DreamHost, rest assured that your donation will only be used to pay for this site's hosting fees. The site owner won't be able to run off and spend your donation on DVDs, fine steak dinners, or anything else completely unrelated to their web hosting bill!''

I'll be sending in my $.02 as soon as I get my PayPal activated again. Haven't used it for a while and keep forgetting my password.

I believe it's ''curmudgeonly skandahoovian''

Dick,

To contribute to hosting (and there's a button at the bottom): http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=14220

''Because you're donating directly through DreamHost, rest assured that your donation will only be used to pay for this site's hosting fees. The site owner won't be able to run off and spend your donation on DVDs, fine steak dinners, or anything else completely unrelated to their web hosting bill!''

I'll be sending in my $.02 as soon as I get my PayPal activated again. Haven't used it for a while and keep forgetting my password.

''1....2....3....4....5.......

Amazing!!!! That's the same combination that I've got on my luggage!''

....President Skroob

Dick,

''1....2....3....4....5.......

Amazing!!!! That's the same combination that I've got on my luggage!''

....President Skroob

Quoting Spaceballs!
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Actually -

I would guess that if you went back and read the agreement you okay'd when signing up, you'd see that all posts, comments, etc. become their property. Which means that if you have great information on PSW, I would not blindly copy it to this new forum - think of it as plagiarism.

Nope. You granted them a non exclusive license to use the content. For example if repost something I wrote at the LAB forum on my own site, or any other for that matter, unless they have a specific assignment of copyright it's not actionable. OTOH, if I post the articles for hire I recently did for them they do in fact own that work product verbatim, but not the ideas. For example the two ear pieces I did I could use the same ideas in an unedited format (Keith did some good editing on those).

It's clear from looking at the situation from what little I've seen (I knew nothing about it until earlier today) that EH doesn't get the concept of user generated content nor the value of the archived content with respect to how that plays into search engine ranking. It basically kills the page views and Google ranking and lowered the value of the site with respect to ad value via page views. That was the case when I was the captain of the ship and we did these kinds of moves, even though we kept the archived content available.

Actually -

I would guess that if you went back and read the agreement you okay'd when signing up, you'd see that all posts, comments, etc. become their property. Which means that if you have great information on PSW, I would not blindly copy it to this new forum - think of it as plagiarism.

Nope. You granted them a non exclusive license to use the content. For example if repost something I wrote at the LAB forum on my own site, or any other for that matter, unless they have a specific assignment of copyright it's not actionable. OTOH, if I post the articles for hire I recently did for them they do in fact own that work product verbatim, but not the ideas. For example the two ear pieces I did I could use the same ideas in an unedited format (Keith did some good editing on those).

It's clear from looking at the situation from what little I've seen (I knew nothing about it until earlier today) that EH doesn't get the concept of user generated content nor the value of the archived content with respect to how that plays into search engine ranking. It basically kills the page views and Google ranking and lowered the value of the site with respect to ad value via page views. That was the case when I was the captain of the ship and we did these kinds of moves, even though we kept the archived content available.

Dave,

It looks like they need a crash course on SEO (for those of you out there who need a translation: Search Engine Optimization, an important strategy for making one's website more visible) and G-Cred (a term taught to me by my social media guru: Google credibility).

Google crawlers take time. I submitted the URL on the google page yesterday ( http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl ), though I agree more could be done.

That's not the point. Let's say I have an inventory of 10k page views a day, much of that from search engines. If you deep six that inventory those page views are gone and you then have to implement a rewrite strategy to deal with all the visitors coming to see content. It's not there. It's a double headed issue. Because there is little content at the new site, traffic and potential revenue is impacted. Because the old site is deep sixed, or at least in archive mode, there can be no new discussions and as a community it's tough to gain traction on a closed property.

It's possible that a smaller walled garden with fewer, higher end, preselected participants may eventually offer better content but once the property has reached critical mass, like the LAB has, they are disenfranchising the very people that create the content. The trick is striking the right balance between higher end content and entry level content and not letting one drag the other down. In the case of the LAB the balance shifted to entry level content long ago. That's neither good nor bad in the big picture, that's just how it is.

Because the property is run by publishing execs and not sound guys, there is a disconnect of the value of the content and a lack of understanding of the culture of the community. To run and operate a successful online community the owners/operators have to understand the community. By that I don't mean the moderators but the people that have skin in the game as the owners.

I am a lot more comfortable with donating $10 (I am not sure it is really a donation because the value returned is far more than that) and then we are the owners, we really don't have to worry about numbers of hits, etc.

This is not the first time I have been involved in a forum growing beyond its core user base, and then collaspe trying to be everything to everyone. Sometimes you just have to say ''Leave the ghost light on''.

Google crawlers take time. I submitted the URL on the google page yesterday ( http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl ), though I agree more could be done.

That's not the point. Let's say I have an inventory of 10k page views a day, much of that from search engines. If you deep six that inventory those page views are gone and you then have to implement a rewrite strategy to deal with all the visitors coming to see content. It's not there. It's a double headed issue. Because there is little content at the new site, traffic and potential revenue is impacted. Because the old site is deep sixed, or at least in archive mode, there can be no new discussions and as a community it's tough to gain traction on a closed property.

It's possible that a smaller walled garden with fewer, higher end, preselected participants may eventually offer better content but once the property has reached critical mass, like the LAB has, they are disenfranchising the very people that create the content. The trick is striking the right balance between higher end content and entry level content and not letting one drag the other down. In the case of the LAB the balance shifted to entry level content long ago. That's neither good nor bad in the big picture, that's just how it is.

Because the property is run by publishing execs and not sound guys, there is a disconnect of the value of the content and a lack of understanding of the culture of the community. To run and operate a successful online community the owners/operators have to understand the community. By that I don't mean the moderators but the people that have skin in the game as the owners.

My apologies, as I misread that. I saw Mike's reference to SEO and Dave and was immediately thinking about David Karol and this site, which is of course starting from nothing. I agree with you about PSW from an indexing/search perspective and your thoughts on the forums in general are full of insight for a relative newbie like me. I hope I bring no disrepute to these or other forums and wish everyone everywhere the best!

Cheers,

Marlow

Why am I having to scroll left to right to read this thread?

Nevermind.. it seems to have just fixed itself.
icon_cool.gif

After 5 years and several thousand posts.. I just hate to see my counter reset to 0....
icon_eek.gif

My apologies, as I misread that. I saw Mike's reference to SEO and Dave and was immediately thinking about David Karol and this site, which is of course starting from nothing. I agree with you about PSW from an indexing/search perspective and your thoughts on the forums in general are full of insight for a relative newbie like me. I hope I bring no disrepute to these or other forums and wish everyone everywhere the best!

Cheers,

Marlow

Yes, I was referring to the LAB (PSW). It is obvious that they are not sound guys from how ''tone-deaf'' they are not to realize the immense value of their <font size="5">LARGE</font> amount of content, and its <font size="5">HUGE</font> impact on search engine visibility. It is (or was) by its very nature ''optimized,'' and one could hardly Google any topic relevant to the business without them showing up in the results. That takes years of writing by lots of contributors, and you can't buy that kind of visibility. What a waste!