Need advice on a generator to run my sound system

Re: Need advice on a generator to run my sound system

Increasing RPM changes the frequency, not the voltage. The voltage is regulated by the excitation circuit, on larger units this is dynamic, on smaller units it is fixed.

Adrian, please chime in here and clarify my answer.

--------------------------------------------------

Richard, I like big generators. I regularly use 68k and 30k units with no problems. I have used a 25k Whisperwatt running some Itechs for about 20,000 watts of system power, and it handled 40 amp peaks without a problem, though the voltage and frequency did sag slightly on each peak.

I'd shoot to have double the generator watts as you have sound system watts.

Sorry Silas, that is not true at all.

I have personally measured the increase in voltage from this exact generator by increasing the RPM without a commensurate increase in operating frequency. The oscilloscope I used to prove this is a fluke 199c 003/s, so if you have measured something different, you need a better scope. Additionally, the generator is unregulated, meaning that is it un-regulated, see also: not regulated or the opposite of having an electrical regulator. The voltage is tuned via the throttle position, making it possible for the layperson to ensure that their generator has the voltage that they want. There are other electronics in the generator head which appear different from other generators of this type--perhaps it includes a circuit that ensures 60hz output?

Re: Need advice on a generator to run my sound system

Richard,

Just as an FYI, i'm pretty sure the diesel generators aren't made by Hyundai in Korea, but rather are rebadged Chinese generators. They sell them here in the US as OPTI brand.

Here's one as an example:
ProductOPTI

I've heard mostly lackluster reviews.

P.S. Appears Walmart here also sells a unit that appears identical:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Amico-Pow...tor-with-Wheelkit-and-Electric-Start/14881950

Last edited: