New Power Amplifiers??

I have been looking for maybe (2) new amplifiers for my larger PA system.

Is there anything new out there that maybe I am over looking?

I have been holding out hope that someday Peavey may actually produce and ship there IPR4500 amplifier.

That amp on paper looks like it would be ideal to replace what I am currently using.

(1-PLX3402, 1-RMX4050HD)

There is nothing wrong with what I have currently, they have been solid performing amps and get the job done in every room that I work in with my larger system.....but the weight of the 6-space rack is really getting old to move around.

It is the only piece of gear that I currently move that really just sucks.

I can (or my girlfriend, believe it or not) move my Peavey QW3f and EV QRX218 subs easier then moving that one 6-space rack.

I have even added casters to the rack to help but still lifting it in the truck at the end of the night just plain sucks!

For the amps I am looking for they need to be in the area of 1500w @ 4ohms per channel (a little more would not be a bad thing)

They key to everything is the PA needs to be able to operate off of (1) circuit (which it does now with ease, including a PLX3002 for monitors)

The clubs in my area are very limited to what they have for useable AC power
icon_rolleyes.gif

downsized_02260020131.jpg

Thanks!

Just needed to add that DSP is not all that important, simple clip limiters like the QSC amps have is all I really need.

Re: New Power Amplifiers??

I like my trailer with the ramp door in back.

So do I, but I still haven't found many venues that will let me try to drive it up their stairs, or even over the front steps or over those nasty thresholds! And then there are the ones that have a loading dock, and nothing else. Try loading a 500lb rack of Crest 9001's down to the bottom of a 900 person party boat with three floors but exceptionally narrow stairwells. Ah.. memories of summer. And then for winter memories is the fun of pushing a rack through the snow.

Vinny, I was in a similar position to you, with two RMX4050's and one PLX3602. I went the expensive route with three IT5000hd's, but in all honesty you'll have a hard time beating a used IT4000 for efficient use of power, light weight and quality. For me the efficient power thing was a foremost factor, because I do occasionally get stuck with just wall power. With efficient speakers and amplifiers you can do a lot with 20 amps!

If you can't swing that (or justify it from an ROI perspective, which I respect) why not just get another 3402? It's the RMX that's weighing you down and the difference might not be as great as you think. If you keep an eye out you could snag a deal on some other good amps too.

A PL380 sold for $1200 a few weeks ago, and I've seen Crest 8200 and 9200's sell for reasonable sums. I'm not sure what XTI pricing is looking like on the used market, but it must have come down a touch with the new series out.

Don't take this as me bashing Peavey, Behringer and whoever else makes affordable light weight amps. 90% of my clients couldn't care less what amps I have, but I try to keep my system able to pass the sniff test, and the occasional 'no Peavey, no behringer, etc' pops up now and then.

I like my trailer with the ramp door in back.

So do I, but I still haven't found many venues that will let me try to drive it up their stairs, or even over the front steps or over those nasty thresholds! And then there are the ones that have a loading dock, and nothing else. Try loading a 500lb rack of Crest 9001's down to the bottom of a 900 person party boat with three floors but exceptionally narrow stairwells. Ah.. memories of summer. And then for winter memories is the fun of pushing a rack through the snow.

Vinny, I was in a similar position to you, with two RMX4050's and one PLX3602. I went the expensive route with three IT5000hd's, but in all honesty you'll have a hard time beating a used IT4000 for efficient use of power, light weight and quality. For me the efficient power thing was a foremost factor, because I do occasionally get stuck with just wall power. With efficient speakers and amplifiers you can do a lot with 20 amps!

If you can't swing that (or justify it from an ROI perspective, which I respect) why not just get another 3402? It's the RMX that's weighing you down and the difference might not be as great as you think. If you keep an eye out you could snag a deal on some other good amps too.

A PL380 sold for $1200 a few weeks ago, and I've seen Crest 8200 and 9200's sell for reasonable sums. I'm not sure what XTI pricing is looking like on the used market, but it must have come down a touch with the new series out.

Don't take this as me bashing Peavey, Behringer and whoever else makes affordable light weight amps. 90% of my clients couldn't care less what amps I have, but I try to keep my system able to pass the sniff test, and the occasional 'no Peavey, no behringer, etc' pops up now and then.

I am not a name whore, I pretty much use what I get to work for me.
The Peavey QW3f tops sound very nice, it's surprising how well they sound to many others once I pulled the labels off of them :D~:-D~:grin:
I just ordered some custom grills for them so they will closely match my EV QRX subs!
If I could score a pair of used IT4000 they would probably be exactly what I need.
I was not fond of running the PLX3402 on subs before, never seemed like it had any get up and go, the RMX4050 does a much better job but just too heavy.
I have looked into the Pro8200 before but I just am not convinced that they will play nicely on just one circuit.
They are nice amps but I am pretty sure the newer offerings that are out there would be more AC effecient.

I gotta come out and hear your rig somtime, looks sweet. Ditch the boat anchor and you'll be fine, can't beat the PLX stuff. I've got racks full of RMX 2450's (12), that my back has filed a greivance against. I'm probably gonna go the the QSC PLX stuff myself, not sure I will trust the Peavey IPR. I did mostly corporate gigs for a while, failure is NOT an option, and the IPR hasnt got enough of a track record for me yet.

BTW, what clubs can you not load out of a trailer at around here? I carry everything I need in a 5x8 tall trailer, and it fits at most places (007, Gansett Cafe, RiRa, Effins, Harborside), never had a problem really, just have to detach to park. I'm pulling it with a longbed F-250.

The 5x8 will fit 4- SRX-4718 subs, 2 SRX-4735 tops, 4- QSC K12s for monitors, 2- 8 space amp racks, 1 outboard rack w/ slant top, folding table, 1 - 24'' cube case for speaker/ ac cable, 1 24'' cube for xlr/ snakes, 3- french hens, 2- turtle doves, 1- drunkin guitar player, and assorted breifcases for mics. Easy to park too, nice when it rains

Gotta say that I've used a lot of different amps in a lot of small to medium rigs..and the PLX are my least favorite. They just seem to run out of gas quicker than anything else.

BTW, what clubs can you not load out of a trailer at around here? I carry everything I need in a 5x8 tall trailer, and it fits at most places (007, Gansett Cafe, RiRa, Effins, Harborside), never had a problem really, just have to detach to park. I'm pulling it with a longbed F-250.

Effin's is probably the easiest for a trailor.
Rira would work provided there is parking in the lot...which is never a guarantee.
I don't work at 007 all that much, but it would work there also.

I am in Newport a lot which just sucks to begin with, winter time could be doable in some places but forget about the summer time.
The parking is just rediculous, along with the parking fees :roll:
Plus in some places I use my smaller system were a trailor wouldn't be needed anyway.
I know the Senders use a trailor everywhere, but Dan just has much more patience then I ever will have :D~:-D~:grin:
So it's probably more *me* :D

But lighter amplifiers would certainly be the cure for my situation!

Hi Vinnie-

As much as I like new amps, I think what you need is a RAMP. The fold-up ''accessibility'' ramps are cool and will support 400#.

You might want to search the PSW FUDforums as ramps have been discussed in the past 6 months or so. IIRC there were links to a variety of compact ramps...

A ramp will serve you well in a variety of situations and will help with more than a single 6 space amp rack.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Hi Vinnie-

As much as I like new amps, I think what you need is a RAMP. The fold-up ''accessibility'' ramps are cool and will support 400#.

You might want to search the PSW FUDforums as ramps have been discussed in the past 6 months or so. IIRC there were links to a variety of compact ramps...

A ramp will serve you well in a variety of situations and will help with more than a single 6 space amp rack.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I have wooden ramps that I use at home and they do help a lot, if I could find some quality folding ramps cheap they may possibly work.
The problem is, I am really maxed out with how much available room there is left in my truck.
As it is now I am holding items with one hand and slamming the door shut with the other to get everything to fit!

Hi Vinnie-

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

This discussion has been interesting for me. A PM from Dick mentioned ADA compliance. We have similar laws in some provinces, but they are very weak here in Quebec. I also live in the part of the Province that has stairs EVERYWHERE so I think I'm a bit biased towards thinking lighter is better in all cases.

Here's a pic of the street I live on the corner of... the commercial building are like this the whole way up:

View attachment 466

Yes, many newer and larger venues have proper access, but it's not really something you can count on here. Doesn't make me proud to live here, and from my research I've actually joined a petition for greater accessibility in Quebec.

I would say that 90% of 200 person and smaller venues are not accessible, while many 500-1000 person venues are not accessible. This is in the old part of the city, and of course convention centers and large hotels are all modern and accessible.

I'll admit that if the ADA compliance means you can roll everything in everywhere and the issue is only getting stuff into your pickup/van/whatever than the ramp would be all you need.

In terms of your amp choices, I can tell you a Pro8200 will be just as good/bad on power as the RMX - look at the AC draw and you'll see they are just about the same. Modern PFC amps will be better than both of them, but if you're fine now, you'll continue to be fine with most other amps.

View attachment 467

View attachment 468

Vinny, would trading the 4050 up to a couple of PLX's get you anything? Seem truck pack/ weight is the deciding factor. What about a 16 sp slant top for the mixer and FOH, and then carry one PLX on board with that, and then swap a PLX for the 4050 in the amp rack? Would the 16sp be too big/ heavy for the truck with an amp in it? What are you using for monitors? Would an IPR 3000 fit for monitor duty?

Perhaps, but if he's using something like the SRX 712m's for monitors, I'd be more apt to replace the amps, probably cheaper. I use the QSC K12's for bar gig monitors, and they work great, draw very little, and have a narrow (75 degree) horn pattern. Great dispersion for a small stage.

Vinny, would trading the 4050 up to a couple of PLX's get you anything? Seem truck pack/ weight is the deciding factor. What about a 16 sp slant top for the mixer and FOH, and then carry one PLX on board with that, and then swap a PLX for the 4050 in the amp rack? Would the 16sp be too big/ heavy for the truck with an amp in it? What are you using for monitors? Would an IPR 3000 fit for monitor duty?

The mixing board and effects etc. are now housed in a 12-space slant rack thingie.

I can't put a amplifier in there as in most places the amps are not near the mixing board (just works out best in the club were the pic. was taken).

Powered speakers.......

My small system is powered speakers, I need help with my larger system
icon_biggrin.gif

P4030179-1.jpg

once all this gear is loaded in the truck (a 93 F150 with a utility cap on it) and the stands, snake, lights, cables etc. are all added.......I am out of room!

I know she ain't much too look at now, but I have owned the truck since new in 93.

It still runs fantastic with just 139k on the motor.

The rear suspension has had F250 leafs installed along with load helper shocks.

This truck doesn't even budge when it's fully loaded, by looking at it you would think it is empty.

P1300467.jpg

Powered speakers.......

My small system is powered speakers, I need help with my larger system :D~:-D~:grin:

P4030179-1.jpg

once all this gear is loaded in the truck (a 93 F150 with a utility cap on it) and the stands, snake, lights, cables etc. are all added.......I am out of room!

So you have a general space issue or a weight issue with that specific case?

I think you need to work on a long term plan. If you anticipate everything you have will be fine for the foreseeable future, maybe switching the one amp will help. If you are already bursting the seams, you need to get bigger transport or smaller equipment in general.

I have both small format analogue and digital mixers, and the digital stuff takes up less room by far. With an 01v96 I no longer even bring graphic EQs by default either.

I guess what I'm getting at is that in the grand scheme of your space issues, the amp might be inconsequential. If the weight is really an issue, just sell it and buy something lighter. With new inexpensive lightweight amps flooding the market, you might be well served to hold off purchasing for a little while too.

So you have a general space issue or a weight issue with that specific case?

Yes, it is pretty much just that amp case.
I don't ever see me needing a larger system, I don't work in the rooms that would need it and I don't have the clientel that would pay for it!
It is why for me I feel what would fix my issues is just replaceing the amp with a lighter one......
But this is back to my main question :)is there anything new out (coming out) that I should consider?

I like the look of the new Crown XTI series, but just curious if they will be hated as much as the original XTI series :D~:-D~:grin:

What ever happened to the new lightweight Crest amps? (still waiting for Peavey to finish there IPR series?)

I wish QSC would make a PL360! the PL340 just isn't quite enough and the PL380 is too much!!