New presonus mixer

Re: New presonus mixer

So what does a bunch of fat guys hitting their consoles with hammers deduce about the difference in impulse response between 48K and 96K operation?

So what does a bunch of fat guys hitting their preamps with "hammer-level" gain deduce about the "quality" of the preamps? /snark at Midas fanbois and others who think preamps are THE big deal.

Uwe,

Discussions in the context of measurement are a different animal than what Max was asking.

When looking at the phase behavior of a device under test (DUT), the total phase is the combination of the DUT's inherent phase response, and the phase that accrues due to time of flight from the DUT to the measuring transducer.

In the naive case, the arrival time alignment delay of the two signals that are used to calculate the transfer function (i.e. the input stimulus and the measured response) can only be controlled by buffering on the interval of one sample. This means that the phase calculated by the TF could be off due to the limited granularity of the delay time you can pick. Note that this isn't a limitation of the math, but rather of one's ability to pick the alignment delay time for the signals fed to the transfer function. If you could pick the delay time precisely, the phase would be known precisely.

There are more advanced techniques available that allow for inter-sample delay time choices, FWIW.

Thanks Phil for the explanation,

many years ago I thought that Ive heard enough math for the rest of my life, but this focker keeps hunting me

So what does a bunch of fat guys hitting their preamps with "hammer-level" gain deduce about the "quality" of the preamps? /snark at Midas fanbois and others who think preamps are THE big deal.

Well, Production Partner mag Germany measured the Pro2 in Mai 2012, the X32 in Sep 2012, the SC48 in Feb 2013
and I am sure we will see Data for the M32 too.
The article for the X32 is available on the Behringer site, though the diagrams are blurred, you can get an overview, what is measured.

AFAIR Anselm Goertzs comment on the X32 preamp-AD combination was "upper mid class" and on the SC48 " as good as it gets".
Dont remember reading the Pro2 article, but I will, as soon as the Data for the M32 are there.

Uwe