New presonus mixer

Re: New presonus mixer

This is just what has been begging to materialize since A&H introduced the iLive racks a few years ago. Kudos to Presonus for being the first to realize the potential of what has really been totally available for five years and more (stage racks with processing, largish touch screens, wysiwyg daws and plugins)
And I bet it wasn't even that difficult, repackaging what already existed and having a couple of talented programmers do the human interface.:thumbup: :nod:

"With UC Surface, it’s very quick and easy to save all of your StudioLive RM settings for quick setup and recall—unlike some digital mixers."
Yeah, StudioLive just to mention one, but I'm sure that's not what they meant :roll:.
The hype and inaccurate comparisons will still be there, and obviously they are just repackaging the old shit, but getting rid of those motorless faders was just what Presonus needed, the question remains about the flexibility etc. of the remote apps, are they really as good as the video seems to suggest? Certainly looks like a good effort and definitely/probably/maybe better than any of the competitors offerings at the moment. At the right price, these are going to be big sellers.

Last edited:

Looks like can only buy a 16 or 32 ch unit -as said is a repackage of the Ai models - the only upgrade path from the 16 is either to replace it with the 32 model or another 16 provided they can be linked sensibly.
But do like the look of the UC sw.

Prices are here on page 11-->
http://eadox.com/EAwebPubDocs/PLretail/PreSonus_sep14_retail.pdf

I really like the look of the GUI. Presonus always had a pleasing to the eye corporate design.
It seems, that the recording card can be setup as ASIO inserts. I like:) But Firewire..really?
96kHz for the "audio spec nerds" will arouse some interest I guess.
Hmmm, $2749 for the rm32ai compared to the x32-rack... I'd thought it would be much cheaper?!

Looks like can only buy a 16 or 32 ch unit -as said is a repackage of the Ai models - the only upgrade path from the 16 is either to replace it with the 32 model or another 16 provided they can be linked sensibly.
But do like the look of the UC sw.
This is probably their stagebox as well, using the optional dante cards...

Hmmm, $2749 for the rm32ai compared to the x32-rack... I'd thought it would be much cheaper?!

That's their suggested retail. The retail of the 16.4.2ai is listed at $2625, but MAP is $1999. With a retail of $2749, I'd guess the MAP will be around $2100, with actual street under $2K. Right in line with the X32 Rack + stage box. Pricing is thus competitive.

Looks like a good effort put forth there... Still waiting for this product....42" iPad style touch screen, weatherized that can have "console skins" loaded on it so the op can use whatever "console look" he wants to use... Midas/Yamaha/ digico/.. So that all the controls are familiar to him/ her. And then same thing here... Hardware and pres are on stage in the snake head...
Bring me that!

"With UC Surface, it’s very quick and easy to save all of your StudioLive RM settings for quick setup and recall—unlike some digital mixers."
Yeah, StudioLive just to mention one, but I'm sure that's not what they meant :roll:.
The hype and inaccurate comparisons will still be there, and obviously they are just repackaging the old shit, but getting rid of those motorless faders was just what Presonus needed, the question remains about the flexibility etc. of the remote apps, are they really as good as the video seems to suggest? Certainly looks like a good effort and definitely/probably/maybe better than any of the competitors offerings at the moment. At the right price, these are going to be big sellers.

I was thinking the same thing. If they only had recall on the pres, and motorized faders I would have been the owner of a SL long ago.

So 2,700+ bucks for the 32 ch. Why? I can get an X32 rack, and S16, and I do have them already, for 2,000. Or 2 X32 Racks for 2,400. And it is 96K ready, Midas pres (designed, I know!) more effects, very good iPad app, awesome 3rd parts Android app (have you seen what Dave did to the look, wow, nice work.) More effect slots, DCAs, UltraNet devices, Linking, Routing...

And the winner still is?

Oh, and as for the large touch screen, Google Raven. Nothing new about any of it. The box looks good.

Only con for Behringer X-Stuff is that the PC, Mac, Linux app that needs some rework. It does not have to be identical.

Last edited:

If an android app were to come from them or a 3rd party it may be worth considering for small stuff, i have people asking to rent my stuff so they can run it from their tablet and you can't expect everyone to have Apple. The Ipad i've been sending out in taking a TON of wear and tear and its in a nice Trident case.

Combine these with their speakers and you may have a good little low maintenance system for rentals.

Don't tell JR...
I saw this in my crystal ball for years (since media matrix made stand alone audio engines)... and is especially logical for Presonus in light of their lack of moving faders.

I am still waiting for some kind of standardization between processing engines and remote control surfaces, but not holding my breath for obvious reasons.

JR