New presonus mixer

Re: New presonus mixer

That comes right after standardized definitions for EQ, right???

Exactly.... Without an acceptable definition for Q in a boost/cut EQ section, like most (all) consoles use for channel EQ, there is no universal way for a predefined console work surface front end to get an expected result from a generic processing engine back end.

I can imagine wanting to replicate some favorite console EQ and work flow on a venues installed standard hardware and not being able to get there from here.:-(

Note: EQ voicing is one of the very few remaining things that actually sound different between modern well executed consoles.

JR

So 2,700+ bucks for the 32 ch. Why? I can get an X32 rack, and S16, and I do have them already, for 2,000. Or 2 X32 Racks for 2,400. And it is 96K ready, Midas pres (designed, I know!) .

Again, you're comparing STREET price against LIST price. The X32 Rack has a LIST price of $1799, compared to the 16 channel Presonus box for $1875. Street price of the 2 units should be fairly similar. Not sure where you heard that the X32 Rack is 96K ready. It's max rate is 48K, and that's all she's got. The Midas M32 boards are promising 96K, but they don't have that functionality yet. The Persons does ship with 96K available, so if that's important to you, then the Presonus wins.

Again, you're comparing STREET price against LIST price. The X32 Rack has a LIST price of $1799, compared to the 16 channel Presonus box for $1875. Street price of the 2 units should be fairly similar. Not sure where you heard that the X32 Rack is 96K ready. It's max rate is 48K, and that's all she's got. The Midas M32 boards are promising 96K, but they don't have that functionality yet. The Persons does ship with 96K available, so if that's important to you, then the Presonus wins.

Original lit specs show 96K ready.

I did not know that was MSRP.

Yes, and it's hugely subjective. Guaranteed to keep fanboys and fangirls pimping their favorites for at least a couple more decades.

While the personal preferences for different EQ executions will be subjective, IMO Q is (should be) an objective metric listed on the console spec data sheet. Q is not some squishy perceptual thing that different people hear differently. We simply lack the will and effort to properly quantify this. I grow weary of the topic.

IIRC some of the more rigorous european magazine reviews include frequency response plots that could be used to visually compare EQ voicing.

Sorry about the hijack, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

JR

If you want the large multi-touch touchscreen monitor like they show, expect to pay an additional $600-800 for a 27" model. I have also seen a 46", but it was > $2500. Plus a computer to drive it and run the software.

Interesting, glad to see some competition in this space, it will be good to keep the innovation moving forward.

If you want the large multi-touch touchscreen monitor like they show, expect to pay an additional $600-800 for a 27" model. I have also seen a 46", but it was > $2500. Plus a computer to drive it and run the software.

Interesting, glad to see some competition in this space, it will be good to keep the innovation moving forward.

Good that they make some pretty stable all-in-ones these days.

Maybe if they finish... I attended meetings at NSCA shows a few decades ago talking about similar stuff.

They list EQ as one of the low level "objects" so if they do it right they will have to come up with the definitions i refer to.

Forgive me if I do not hold my breath just yet. :)

JR

Price wise, it is close enough to the X32 Rack in MAP so that it won't matter (within $100-$200).

The routing doesn't appear to be as flexible as the X32, the current incarnation of the app for the Presonus doesn't have colored scribble strips (it wouldn't match their color scheme, but I think it is an important feature), and it doesn't appear to have an off-line editor/manager program.

It does support 96K, The GUI looks to be easier to use than the X32 app is, and it supports the AI integration with their speakers (which are pretty good sounding from what I hear).

IMHO, the X32 line (and M32 line) will never have 96K internal processing. They may well allow the use of 96K AES50 devices, but the internal processing appears to be tapped out at 48Khz and would likely require a major hardware change to get to 96K (IMHO).

Having said that ..... why does a mixer specifically designed for LIVE use need to have 96KHz operation?

It appears to be a nice entry into the market. Of course, the final analysis will have to wait until the stability of the software and sound quality can be objectively tested in anger out in the field ;)

I noticed that the newest version of Studio One brings integration of mixer and daw to a new level in terms of out-of-the-box ready-to-go capture of every desk parameter and plug-ins to replicate mixer processing, thus making it easy to make a non-destructive recording of the actual mix. Again, stuff that is well known from before, but not really readily available on anything but high-level studio integrations costing a hundred times more.
Of course, in some bizarre way, this is going to make the non-existence of flying faders on the AI even more painful, but in the new RM world where the acquisition of a largish multitouch screen is obvious anyway, faderless home/project studios is probably the most likely scenario anyway.
If reality matches the release hype, Presonus might be the definite choice for the low budget recording crowd.
(It is of course slightly worrisome that the single expansion card limitation leaves one with really no expansion option, since yanking out the existing one will most likely kill any recording integration and low-latency plugin use.) (Yes, the Presonus shares that predicament with the X32, but at least the X32 also have the AES50 ports).
EDIT: Since the replacement card will have Firewire also, the only worry is probably going to be the price if anything.

Last edited:

It is of course slightly worrisome that the single expansion card limitation leaves one with really no expansion option, since yanking out the existing one will most likely kill any recording integration and low-latency plugin use. (Yes, the Presonus shares that predicament with the X32, but at least the X32 also have the AES50 ports).
Since presonus has announced that their option cards will have firewire in addition to whatelse this will probably be a non-issue. (Other than the firewire problems that we are aware of today)

Last edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSq8pnXCc7Y

more elaborate information from 24.45min concerning "use as an stagebox for SL AI mixers", cascading and street prices.

Around 16:30, just after he makes a big point about the software being complete, all features implemented etc., he gets a question about a button that is obviously not working yet since he's reluctant to push it and starts referring to bugs in the software :lol:

Since presonus has announced that their option cards will have firewire in addition to whatelse this will probably be a non-issue. (Other than the firewire problems that we are aware of today)

Yes, I saw that in the newest video, certainly a relief in that respect. Maybe it will be shipped with the Dante card so that one doesn't have to waste money on swapping out the cards. It definitely has one up on the X32 in this respect then, being able to do Dante and Firewire at the same time.

Yes, I saw that in the newest video, certainly a relief in that respect. Maybe it will be shipped with the Dante card so that one doesn't have to waste money on swapping out the cards. It definitely has one up on the X32 in this respect then, being able to do Dante and Firewire at the same time.
Maybe not at the same time - Just like the x-uf card you may have to choose one interface or the other.

Just scanned through the demo video.
Overall like the interface - the x32 Core & rack need something like this!.
Of the features liked the ability to audition presets - a sort a-b - but better , the copy facility looked good as well (quick & easy) - Like the fact that the L/R & mono outputs are separate from the 16 aux's. Also would be interested to know if the internal effects have dedicated buss sends rather than using the main busses.
it also seems that in the future you will be able to cascade desks to create a 64 ch mixer.

But no DCA's - but I am sure they can add these ( as the x32 android developer has added the ability to define additional DCA's) - could not see sends on faders ( is this in their qmix sw?

The surface is also going to be available for the current Ai mixers - though still the issue here of no motorised faders.

So a good effort - but still a presonus Ai - whether that is good or bad I am not sure!

MSRP: $1875 & $2749
US MAP prices are $1999.95 for the RM32AI and $1399.95 for the RM16AI.

Maybe not at the same time - Just like the x-uf card you may have to choose one interface or the other.

I doubt that, because it would render the whole concept useless since the computer interface is such an important part of working the system to its capability ("Yes, you can use the stage box and record, but not at the same time of course" :blush:).
I thought for a moment there was a major flaw to the logic of the system they presented, but equipping every option card with the FiWi ports is taking care of that, and probably the solution that is needed to make it work. One must wonder why they are not equipping the units with fixed FiWi ports when those are so important to the system.

I noticed that the newest version of Studio One brings integration of mixer and daw to a new level in terms of out-of-the-box ready-to-go capture of every desk parameter and plug-ins to replicate mixer processing, thus making it easy to make a non-destructive recording of the actual mix. Again, stuff that is well known from before, but not really readily available on anything but high-level studio integrations costing a hundred times more.
Of course, in some bizarre way, this is going to make the non-existence of flying faders on the AI even more painful, but in the new RM world where the acquisition of a largish multitouch screen is obvious anyway, faderless home/project studios is probably the most likely scenario anyway.
If reality matches the release hype, Presonus might be the definite choice for the low budget recording crowd.
(It is of course slightly worrisome that the single expansion card limitation leaves one with really no expansion option, since yanking out the existing one will most likely kill any recording integration and low-latency plugin use.) (Yes, the Presonus shares that predicament with the X32, but at least the X32 also have the AES50 ports).
EDIT: Since the replacement card will have Firewire also, the only worry is probably going to be the price if anything.

Need someone to figure out how can use osc and say reaper to do this sort of thing for the x32!