Nuendo Live and Yamaha Console Connector

Anyone had to troubleshoot the Nuendo/CL connection and had some success?

I have the console LAN connection in the same switch as the Primary Dante switch. The system is running in redundant mode.
My PC (Win7) can see the Dante signals, record them and play them back.
I can connect to the console from my PC with CL editor.
The console sees the computer as a DVS connection in the Nuendo Live setup screen on the console, and I can select it.
Nuendo Live does not grab the track names/colours, and the console cannot control Nuendo Live play/record and so on.

The weird thing is it DID work for a minute or two at one point, but after than no dice.
I've reinstalled Console Connector, Nuendo Live, rebooted both the CL and my computer many times. I simply cannot get the communication working again.

Hoping that perhaps someone has run into the same problem and figured out what needs to be done?

Re: Nuendo Live and Yamaha Console Connector

Yes, I've had the same problems with the Nuendo Live console connect function. It works as advertised perhaps a quarter of the time. This is across four different Macs, haven't tried with any Windows machines. No clear pattern to a solution. Many times multiple restarts and reconnections will achieve success, many times it will simply record but without the connect functions like channel name transfer as you've noted. Its really getting to the point that Yamaha needs to have a user forum much like any software product might have. Its increasingly all about the software and getting support for the software much more than the hardware.

Yes, I've had the same problems with the Nuendo Live console connect function. It works as advertised perhaps a quarter of the time. This is across four different Macs, haven't tried with any Windows machines. No clear pattern to a solution. Many times multiple restarts and reconnections will achieve success, many times it will simply record but without the connect functions like channel name transfer as you've noted. Its really getting to the point that Yamaha needs to have a user forum much like any software product might have. Its increasingly all about the software and getting support for the software much more than the hardware.

Is Console Connector the same thing as the CL or Console Extension?

I've never had any trouble recording tracks from the CL to my MacBook and playing back, but I've always tussled with the extension, which I think is the part that transfers input names and allows transport control (and correct me if I'm wrong). Re-boot, restart, reinstall, and eventually, it works.

Right, I'd like to blame my mistake with the name on the fact that Yamaha changed the name of this piece of software at one point, but I really can't. I just guessed at the name, and you knew what I was talking about. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

I have had the same problems with the CL Extensions and trying to record or play back through Nuendo Live. And I have never been able to get it to pull track names and colors.

I can record straight into Protools (for the first 32 channels) without issues. But Nuendo Live seems to require some secret voodoo magic to get it to work. It may also be due to the tact that Steinberg/Yamaha have not updated Nuendo Live since it was released and the most current version is still 1.0.0

Nuendo live is such a stripped down DAW, I can't imagine anyone ever paying money for it. If Yamaha wants to help Steinberg's reputation by encouraging the use of the 2 products together, they have to make it seamless. I'd really like it to work with the CL as advertised as it would be convenient to control it from the console and it is after all included for free.
Yamaha needs to get this fixed or remove that functionality. If everyone is having trouble with it as it seems, then it's embarrassing.
Maybe some wise guy will create a 'extension' that works with Reaper. I'd love that.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm inclined to think that Nuendo Live was purpose built from the stock Nuendo DAW to fill that key function that PT does with the Avid consoles. Beyond that it has a " buy a real Nuendo seat" sign on its back, that's all. I've been running Cubase for a couple of years now and I find it a bit more reliable than PT but then I bailed on ProTools back at version Six.

We do work for a church in the area that has a CL3 and records to a dedicated iMac and we haven't had any trouble with the connection at all but, when we go to align the audio from the multitrack (that we get first get mixed and mastered) we have drift issues. Has anyone run into a similar problem?

Yes the church has a panasonic 160a digital camera to record video of worship and sermons and it records audio from the services via a shotgun mic running straight into the camera. At the same time, we multitrack record the whole service from the CL5 into Nuendo Live and, in post using Adobe Premiere, match the multitrack recording audio (after being mixed and mastered) up with the audio recorded on the camera itself so that it should be perfectly aligned. We then get rid of the audio from the camera so that the multitrack record audio is the one that's used and "in perfect sync" with the video. But we've been having trouble with it not matching correctly. Also when we've sent the multitrack to be mixed and mastered the studio tech says that he's been seeing issues when trying to line up all the tracks perfectly. His strategy is to line everything up off of the kick drum and for some reason according to the multitrack the kick is reaching the overhead microphones before reaching the kick microphone itself even. As you can see below:

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 10.22.19 AM.png

Any thoughts?

A really low tech way to look at the timing differences is to make an obvious and easily synced to sound, like bashing a snare or something similar. Do it once casually by itself before and after a service, and see what does and does not line up - including the camera and it's audio track.

Or actually solve the issues with information and technology, it's much more reliable. Definitely consider adding a timecode or clock.

Unless the two sources are running from the same clock source there it's inevitable for there to be a small amount of drift, generally it should be a simple linear drift so speed or slowing one recording a fraction of a percent will keep them in sync.

Regarding the multitrack not being sync with it's self where are you picking off the signal to Nuendo? Stright from the Rio boxes, channel direct out? (in what location)? Might inserted processing on the kick cause the delay you see?

Philip

Nuendo Live and Yamaha Console Connector

Anyone still struggling with trying to get Nuendo Live controlled by the CL/QL console, I have the solution.
Set your console's network address to something in the same subnet as Dante (169.254.x.x) and your computer to DHCP and it just works.
The last digits seem to make no difference.

No need to connect the console's "control" network connection to the Dante network, BTW.

Having the console at the factory default (192.168.0.128) will for some reason change the Nuendo computer to that same subnet, causing the controls to stop working.

Another solution is to use a fixed ip on your computer within the Dante subnet (169.254) but it's always easier to keep your computer on DHCP of course. Changing the console IP will allow you to do that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422574505.472068.jpg

Sent from my iPhone