Oh It's so snappy!

Ian Coughlin

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
New York
www.dtgentertainment.com
What a pleasure to click a link and the page changes faster than you can blink!
icon_biggrin.gif

Re: Oh It's so snappy!

Interesting, it will be interesting to see if the can live up to their word.

I was low balled by another DJ that told the client he had more than ample equipment for the job and showed up with two glorified 8'' Yamaha home speakers (?) as mains and a guitar amp with a 10 foot XLR and Mic...

Back on topic, I recently started looking in to COLOCATION (edit, not hosting) costs and came across all sorts of information I didn't know about and found quite rediculous... 95% percentile billing, port speeds and pricing, 1/4 rack, 1/2 rack, and full rack spacing offering only one 20A circuit and all astronomical pricing IMO.

Edit for clarification/typo

Back on topic, I recently started looking in to COLOCATION (edit, not hosting) costs and came across all sorts of information I didn't know about and found quite rediculous... 95% percentile billing, port speeds and pricing, 1/4 rack, 1/2 rack, and full rack spacing offering only one 20A circuit and all astronomical pricing IMO.

If you need help with something like that, feel free to email/PM/AIM/etc me. I've been in that business for a long time.

95th percentile billing is the industry standard, and has been around since the early-1990s. The electric power industry has been doing it a lot longer. Say you own a factory and sometimes need to run some big machine that melts metal, so it takes a huge amount of power. The power company won't just give you a 26kV line and bill you by the kilowatt-hour like a resident or smaller business. Their capital investments, and substantial portions of their operating costs, are driven by peak demand, and the same is true of the Internet. So they measure usage by the largest customers, typically in 15 minute intervals, and bill them based on the highest 15 minute sample each month, or some lower percentile e.g. 95th, like is commonly done with telecommunications networks.

A forum really does not need all that, though. With more efficient software (FUDforum is pretty crappy from an internals point of view) the SR Forums, with its 600k posts, could easily run on one $1000 server. I do not know their bandwidth needs, but my guess is a few megabits/second (95th metered/billed.) The real cost of that bandwidth is < $10/Mbps these days, and around $1/Mbps for larger buyers (like my clients.)

This is why I was so irritated with that PSW guy, it really is pretty easy to host a silly forum.
icon_smile.gif

while not as big at the LAB, another forum i'm a member of was written by the administrator, and has a very good UI and uptime. It also has the best internal chat system I've seen on a site. It is completely supported by user donations. It's an impressive (to me) database and access system that supports threads that go to almost 100 pages long before they cause issues with the forum.

Also if you change the number after the equals sign, from one to 14 or 9 or 7 or 13 or 3, the UI changes, but the content stays the same.

http://www.uer.ca/forum_showcats.asp?fid=1

just thought you might find this site interesting.

Interesting, it will be interesting to see if the can live up to their word.

I was low balled by another DJ that told the client he had more than ample equipment for the job and showed up with two glorified 8'' Yamaha home speakers (?) as mains and a guitar amp with a 10 foot XLR and Mic...

Edit for clarification/typo

Unless you're doing VERY intensive data processing, have high security requirements, and/or tremendous bandwidth needs, co-locating a server is most likely gross overkill. I ran a co-located server for several years before switching to a VPS hosted at linode.com and will never go back (unless the fore mentioned criteria will apply).

I'm not affiliated with Linode in any way, but so far I'm a very happy customer and essentially have full root access to my server (VPS). Their are other similar services and for the value, it's very hard to go wrong.

Jeff

Right now the plan we are on is more than adequate. We are getting unlimited bandwith. If need be, I guess the next step would be to move it onto a VPS at some point. Dreamhost offers that, although I haven't done much research on the service.

Totally beyond the scope of the thread but I'm looking in to virtualizing my company. I'm already running ESX for server consolidation and now I'm toying with the ''desktops as a managed service'', they have a great little SMB package for around $1,800 and a free 60day trial with a 10PC license. I just need to find an appropriate 64bit machine before I can start my pilot program.

VMware website states for...

Quote: said:
WAN and PCoIP support... The Following examples show how PCoIP can be expected to perform in various WAN scenarios:

Work from home, a user with a dedicated cable or DSL connection with 4-8Mb download and less than 300ms latency can expect excellent performance under the following conditions: 2 monitors, MS Office Apps, Light use of flash, periodic multimedia, and light printing with a local printer.

mobile user...

Branch or remote office Plan for 3 concurrent active users per 1Mb of bandwidth. Users at an office that has a 20Mb dedicated site-to-site UDP-based VPN with less than 200ms latency can expect acceptable performance under the following conditions: 2 monitors, MS Office Apps, light use of flash, light printing with a locally connected USB printer

At the moment I would have 3 remote offices, 2 with one PC each and the third with 8PC's. Teleworkers would vary but I'd figure 2 at any given time.

I also have the 35/35 FiOS and could/would upgrade to the new 150/65 plan so I'm not concerned with keeping the servers in house. I was just curious as to what it would cost to colo.

I also have the 35/35 FiOS and could/would upgrade to the new 150/65 plan so I'm not concerned with keeping the servers in house. I was just curious as to what it would cost to colo.

Co-location cost of rack space and power, and the minimum increments available, vary greatly by city, type of facility, how many ISPs are available to choose from in the co-location space, and so on. Figure on a bare minimum of $100/month, though most co-location providers do not offer less than full racks, which you would typically pay around $1000-$2000/month for (including power.)

Your bandwidth needs will be dictated by your application and usage patterns. A Citrix administrator might be better able to answer this for you than me. I can tell you that the price of bandwidth for small buyers pretty much ranges from $5/Mbps to $50/Mbps depending on what co-location facility you are in and how many ISPs are there competing for your business.

IMO if you have high-speed FiOS options available, you would be best served by locating your server at the facility that has the 8 users.