OMG... ProSoundWeb'd forums are pissing me off...

Re: OMG... ProSoundWeb'd forums are pissing me off...

I admin/moderate the Rat Sound board. We also implemented Captcha style sign up. But apparently the spammers have teams of real humans which necessitates manual approval of everyone that wants to sign up.

Yep, some of those spam people are very clever putting together quasi-meaningful statements from key words and the like. You have to really read them to realize they say nothing. Our anti-spam software is pretty good, but some still get through... it is less effort to catch the ones that make it through than to manually approve every entrant, and so far there's only been one false positive that I'm aware of.

First you have to start with real, paid (and supported) forum software. vbulletin (same software used here) is what I recommend. Next, make sure registration has a few question/answer items, with questions SPECIFIC to the topic of your forum. e.g. if your forum is about drums, have the question be something only a drum enthusiast can answer, and make sure there's several questions that randomly come up. If that's not enough, add a spam-rejecting addon. I use Glowhost's Spam-A-Matic (free) add-on and it's been pretty flawless. In extreme cases, if that's not enough, make a "new users" forum in your forums which is the only forum a new user can post to. Disable all abilities to create links for the new users and you only have to monitor that forum for new posts. Once they've made a post that seems reasonable, you can upgrade them to full status. In your case, with a low-volume forum, the question/answer should be all you need, as long as you're asking the right questions. Robots and human spammers can't answer industry-specific questions.

I don't have time to get too in depth about what goes on with spam prevention here, but here it goes.

Robots and human spammers can't answer industry-specific questions.

You'd be surprised at how many can! A lot of the spammers make posts that relate a lot to the topics. A human being paid to make spam posts all over the web knows how to make a Google search!

We use Spam-O-Matic as well. We had a bunch of problems when we first started with the Glowhost software, but things are good now. Whenever a new member registers, if they get passed vBulletin's captcha/human verification system, all of the information they enter (including email address, username, IP) gets checked to the Stop Forum Spam database. The problem we run into with that registration system is a college, or public area's IP being blacklisted by the Stop Forum Spam database. It doesn't happen much, but once in a while we'll get an email from someone who was told they're a spammer, and we'll have to manually go in and create an account for them.

I don't recall how many of a user's first posts we check, I think it's one or two- but if a newly registered user's first post contains certain things like a URL, it will require moderation before showing to the world. If they make it through that, their post will be checked against the Akismet database, which contains millions of spam postings. If all goes well, the post will appear on the site.

A few times a month a post will require moderation, most of those aren't spam. The last one that came up was a new user posting in the market place.

But without any of this, the amount of spam a smaller site like us has to deal with is very minimal in the big picture. The guys over at larger forums have a much bigger pain dealing with hundreds or thousands of spam posts/registrations daily.

I can't speak about user registrations, but I will say that the guys at other larger forums do a very good job of handling spam posts.

Re: OMG...

Not to be a debbie downer on such an up day, but we can all be thankful that these spammers are capitalists, trying to make some easy profit, and not anarchists or simply intent on being destructive.... They don't want to kill the WWW, just suck some blood from it.... Imagine how much damage they could do if they were trying to.

JR