Oversized box 524 Liters!

Bern Wansen

Freshman
Nov 10, 2013
Hi people!
I'm brandy new to these forums and as the topic may push to the butt this one box I built here was a little oversized. Hopefully no speaker can play with it but maybe a little foam will grab and dignify the dimensions back to a usefullness!
Hey, although the box may look horrendous and can't even enter/ leave a house or anything because of its size, it was built to be dismantled and all the boards were sharply cut but the because the box is not sealed anyway may that trick even more our picked volunteer?
The box has been recently filled with siliconized fiber up to 2 inches below the speaker's cone position, and improvised insect wire was put into place to prevent chips of foam from flying around through the vent. When visiting a sound shop in my town one oldie showed me a subwoofer box of similar size fulfilled with foam, so, do the theme bring any idea to work on this biug baby?
Or should I just throw it away and do things correctly next time?!
I've been playng a 1700W woofer in it but wondering how far the box is messing the beats!

Re: Oversized box 524 Liters!

Sorry, maybe I pushed it too far in the pursue for nice talk!
Basically the question is: what to do with my 36x36x36 inches soundbox??

Make it a single 18", or a dual 15" sub.

There are plenty of drivers that would be happy in a large box.

Alright! Thank you guys for your patience!
Now what I'm I supposed to achieve by applying the knowledge of a veteran in box manufacturing? A good 1500W 12" Digital Design subwoofer might fit well in the front board of the box, as it is constructable!
I got plenty of stuffing in there already, about 2 inches below the speakers core and filling the box all the way down.
I've heard somewhere that a good pressure/ reverb build up is necessary for some boxes to let the speaker strike with amplified volume, but I'm not sure if thats the case of subwoofer nor am I aware on how to thinker the vent exits!
Tips?

(Ah, and again, thank you guys and forbid any misspellings and that should be ok)!

Alright! Thank you guys for your patience!
Now what I'm I supposed to achieve by applying the knowledge of a veteran in box manufacturing? A good 1500W 12" Digital Design subwoofer might fit well in the front board of the box, as it is constructable!
I got plenty of stuffing in there already, about 2 inches below the speakers core and filling the box all the way down.
I've heard somewhere that a good pressure/ reverb build up is necessary for some boxes to let the speaker strike with amplified volume, but I'm not sure if thats the case of subwoofer nor am I aware on how to thinker the vent exits!
Tips?

(Ah, and again, thank you guys and forbid any misspellings and that should be ok)!
You need to stop listening to people who talk about "reverb buildup" and "speaker strike".

How is "amplified volume" different from "unamplified" volume?

How is "amplified volume" different from "unamplified" volume?

In the way the Qtc of the box may improve the sound by 9db which is equivalent (theorically?) to playing with 8 speakers of equal power, at the "ressonant" frequency.
Hows that 9db raise coming to be true or not??

In the way the Qtc of the box may improve the sound by 9db which is equivalent (theorically?) to playing with 8 speakers of equal power, at the "ressonant" frequency.
You also need to stop listening to people who tell you that.

I think you hang out with the wrong crowd-who are filling you full of falsehoods.

Do you have any idea how LARGE 9dB is? It is NOT trivial. Just ask a PA provider to "add 9dB" to the output-and see how much that costs-------------

You also need to stop listening to people who tell you that.

I think you hang out with the wrong crowd-who are filling you full of falsehoods.

Do you have any idea how LARGE 9dB is? It is NOT trivial. Just ask a PA provider to "add 9dB" to the output-and see how much that costs-------------

I talk to the marketing guys about this all the time. How do you get it across to the customer that we just spent 9 months trying to squeeze another 1dB of sensitivity into a new transducer.

Are you talking about the phenomenon developed by the Big E speaker scientists?

Are you talking about the phenomenon developed by the Big E speaker scientists?
They using a "spinning vortex" or something like that-whatever that is. And they have the highs come out of the rear of the speaker cabinet so they "ride on top of" the low freq.

I have asked (and not gotten a response) what happens when there are no lows to "ride on top of"? Can you still hear a solo flute? If so-how does that work with no lows?

I haven't seen any even halfway description of the theory behind it. You don't have to give away the secrets-but a basic idea would really help people understand-unless you are just supposed to "believe"-like in the hi-fi market.

Well one thing is audio signal: that effectively makes for the difference in maximum output if the speaker can handle its power properly, a second thing would be to simulate this with a box. Honestly, you guys are right, I've seen no difference whatsoever with this new smaller box (90 liters). Clean voice although very loud in the audio signal may be so clean that it passes mute to our ears thatsa very strange thing in the highest pitch the human voice can reach, but if you add effects like reverb in the audio signal if will get much more hidden peaks in the same time span of the audio.
Well, a box simulatiung that is just a nonsense trying to come out of nonsenseness.
But then we come across guitar acoustics, which is similar, but in this case the strings are already there with their power, unlike the speakers which are giving all they got already.
Well this was an attempt to proff extreme high pressure inside the box would inflict, on the speaker, an SPL increase in which sense the sound produced could be similar to a shockwave!
Have we experimented with horns before? Can one tell exactly what are we hearing out of that? Why can't we mimic that with the woofer? :p

Have we experimented with horns before? Can one tell exactly what are we hearing out of that? Why can't we mimic that with the woofer? :p
What do you mean by "horn". Horns have been used in audio-way back in the 1800s

And some manufacturers build almost nothing BUT horn loudspeakers-so yes-it is done all the time.

Well one thing is audio signal: that effectively makes for the difference in maximum output if the speaker can handle its power properly, a second thing would be to simulate this with a box. Honestly, you guys are right, I've seen no difference whatsoever with this new smaller box (90 liters). Clean voice although very loud in the audio signal may be so clean that it passes mute to our ears thatsa very strange thing in the highest pitch the human voice can reach, but if you add effects like reverb in the audio signal if will get much more hidden peaks in the same time span of the audio.
Well, a box simulatiung that is just a nonsense trying to come out of nonsenseness.
But then we come across guitar acoustics, which is similar, but in this case the strings are already there with their power, unlike the speakers which are giving all they got already.
Well this was an attempt to proff extreme high pressure inside the box would inflict, on the speaker, an SPL increase in which sense the sound produced could be similar to a shockwave!
I don't mean any offense-but it is REALLY hard to have any idea what you are talking about or saying. sorry

If you are saying that the smaller box makes no difference than the larger one-then you are listening very hard. There will be a big difference in the low freq between a 90L and a 524 L box-both in the freq response and how loud it can go at the lower freq. If am still not sure if this is a ported box or not-and that can also make a big difference.

box.JPG
Here is a picture of my baby!
The green stuff inside is actually plastic chicken wire to prevent the stuffing from flying around when the speaker is turned on!
Im not sure what to do with this port.
You can scream inside the box and but the volume gets significantly muted in a manner people can't definitely say you cryed at all.

View attachment 8562
Here is a picture of my baby!
The green stuff inside is actually plastic chicken wire to prevent the stuffing from flying around when the speaker is turned on!
Im not sure what to do with this port.
You can scream inside the box and but the volume gets significantly muted in a manner people can't definitely say you cryed at all.
And interesting tuning indeed. Was there a plan or just "stick something in and hope for the best"?