Pair of DIY 90 wanted

Jan 19, 2011
Oslo, Norway, Norway
drbentsen.no
I'm not sure if this belongs in the marketplace or not.

I have a tour coming up next year where I need to bring a small PA with sufficient SPL for some venues. Normally I would just bring my KF650-rig but I'm looking into saving some kg's in the trailer and rigging time.

The DIY 90 looks like an ideal replacement, it should perform on par with a pair of KF650 powered by an X8.

I currently don't have time for a new build project so if someone here has a pair they wish to sell or can build me a pair, send me a PM and we can have a talk.

Ideally I'm looking for a pair ready to go to a gig, but I can load them with horn/drivers myself and paint them if that makes it easier.

Feel free to message me if you have anything to offer. [email protected] or PM.

Sent from my iPhone

Do you want them to be flyable? I'm sure there are issues with shipping from the US to Norway and all, but I've been designing my version from the beginning with the express purpose of building them for other people. I havent got the flying hardware worked out, and Im not sure I could deal with the liability requirements either.

Do you want them to be flyable? I'm sure there are issues with shipping from the US to Norway and all, but I've been designing my version from the beginning with the express purpose of building them for other people. I havent got the flying hardware worked out, and Im not sure I could deal with the liability requirements either.

I don't need to fly them, my idea is to polemount them or groundstack.

Shipping is not an issue, I have a freigt forwarder in NJ that handles all the paperwork, all you would need to do is ship it to them, they handle the rest.

Do you think you can make me a pair?

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: Klaus Zimmermann
I don't need to fly them, my idea is to polemount them or groundstack.

Sent from my iPhone

I used my 90s yesterday at a military base. First time ground stacked. Had to since we were shooting under event tents set up right in front of the band. As you can see the HF is right about chest high on a 2 sub stack. I use them pole mount when ever possible.

Attachments

• IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2841.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 18
Building the box is one thing; building the processing is another. I'm curious about your plan to create the parameters to feed the X8 DSP

Mee too.

I have a Lake LM26 as well so I was thinking about setting both units up, load the settings on the Lake and try to recreate it on the X8.

If this was a regular IIR-filter set it should be pretty easy but I have no idea if I can do this with FIR-filters.

Sent from my iPhone

Mee too.

I have a Lake LM26 as well so I was thinking about setting both units up, load the settings on the Lake and try to recreate it on the X8.

If this was a regular IIR-filter set it should be pretty easy but I have no idea if I can do this with FIR-filters.

FWIW from a guy 'maybe' starting to get a grip on FIR...

If I had a X series powersoft, I'd do a little divide and conquer, FIR vs IIR, ....to dial the DIY in.

Use IIR for the usual eq necessary to smooth magnitude in each passband, and also to flatten magnitude reasonably beyond the passband for smooth summation through crossover region. I've found unanimous agreement across the web that using IIR for this is a proper first step.

Then I'd use the X series 364 FIR taps per channel (I believe that spec is right ?) SOLELY for building linear-phase crossovers.
This would only add 3.8ms latency to each channel, with impulse offset centering.
364 taps used this way could do a nice job at 24 db/oct, even 48 db/oct, for the mid section lowpass, the HF coax bandpass, and the VHF coax HP.
It is amazing to me how easy phase alignment mid-to-HF, and HF-to-VHF, becomes when the rotation of IIR crossovers is removed.
It simply becomes a matter of physical time offset between drivers.

IMO .......364 taps can't handle the mid section HP very well.
This is the one x-over area where an IIR crossover is called for .....unless you find more taps somewhere, can live with more latency, and want to try to really dial in sub to DIY phase throughout x-over. My experience here ls it is only worth doing this extended FIR effort, when the DIY is right on top, directly coupled, to sub.

The above is the easiest way I can picture to wade into FIR.
After all that goes well, you may find you want to imbed the IIR eq's into the FIR file, but by then that will sound like no big deal.