PG58 Wireless: Ass-like or just me?

Greg Cameron

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Had a well known, very good reggae performer at the venue last night. He brought his own wireless dual PG58 setup. It's one of the worst vocal mics I've worked with. Woofy, too loose of a pickup pattern, required a lot of notching to get it stable in the house as well as monitors. I got it useable, but man, it shouldn't be that hard. Blah! I should probably recommend an upgrade to them to at least a setup with standard SM58 capsule. At least there were no RF problems. The BLX288 receiver has no external antennas so you're stuck with what you got.

Re: PG58 Wireless: Ass-like or just me?

Had a well known, very good reggae performer at the venue last night. He brought his own wireless dual PG58 setup. It's one of the worst vocal mics I've worked with. Woofy, too loose of a pickup pattern, required a lot of notching to get it stable in the house as well as monitors. I got it useable, but man, it shouldn't be that hard. Blah! I should probably recommend an upgrade to them to at least a setup with standard SM58 capsule. At least there were no RF problems. The BLX288 receiver has no external antennas so you're stuck with what you got.

Isn't it near the bottom of the line? That's what bottom of the line can be like.

Sent from my iPad HD

To call a wireless PG58 ass-like is very kind. I commend you.

At least it didn't stop the show from being a good one. Soundcheck photo attached. There were 2 offending mics, one on keys. The lead singer (Pato Banton) took the photo.

Attachments

• 10325532_1629192897306217_1205736414929003293_n.jpg
    10325532_1629192897306217_1205736414929003293_n.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0

The PG58 mic itself sounds like ass. I bought one for talkback use, couldn't stand the sound of my own voice. Filling the shaft with cotton balls made it marginally better, but a wireless version probably would not have that possibility. To make things worse, the switch (the reason I bought it) gummed up to the point where it requires a screwdriver to push it back and forth.