Phase align subs to mains

Re: Phase align subs to mains

Which begs another question....so how do you determine at what frequency the sub and the mains intersect so that you can choose the right frequency sine wave without the aid of an analyzer?

What? You mean the *electrical* crossover might not be the correct frequency choice? Blasphemy!

/sarcasm 8)~:cool:~:cool:

This is of course completely off-topic as such, but I bet that in most cases you can get the alignment as good as it gets by the old method of flipping the phase of the subs and delaying to max cancellation using a sine at the crossover frequency. Can Smaart really improve on that?

Yes,...this is how I did it for years. The warble is a much better method, brought to me by my friend BINK. By that time I was already using Smaart but I definitely saw the benefit of the warble.
The key to your method is still using at least an RTA with 1/24 or 1/48 octave resolution and using pink noise as the stumilus. Also being outside and having only the 2 sources would be great. Put the mic on the ground too. If you use a single sine wave at crossover you can't tell how far off you are. Could be 360, 720, 1080, degress off, or more.

Smaart makes it a lot easier and a lot faster.

Yes. Quite a lot. The old way is just valid for one frequency, Smaart gives you the whole picture for all frequencies :)

And you can adjust it and see what's going on in real-time and find a compromise for any given situation. It's easy to demonstrate, I can give you one if you wish.

I have to disagree with this statement. If you use a single sine wave then you are correct but this can be done with noise if you have an RTA and can see the frequencies just outside of the equal loudness point (the crossover). Some people CAN and DO, achieve this by ear. I have measured behind them and wouldn't have changed anything. I just get it done a little faster with the computer. Some people will take much longer with the computer until they have had a lot of practice.

You can certainly get a usable alignment, but you definitely cannot get it as good as it gets. You're making a number of compromises that are invisible to you. How do you choose relative timing between the balcony and the floor? Only one of them can be correct. I always use polarity, delay, and changes in the LPF of the sub bandpass to get the mains and subs to align over as wide a bandwidth as possible. You are forced to rely on the limited resolution available to you in the frequency domain. Maximum cancellation happens from 120° to 180°, pegging 180° exactly is pretty hard when that range is only 1/3 of the phase wheel - and there are plenty of other complications in the frequency domain from reflections to screw you up. Not to mention you have no way to tell if you're one or more entire periods off. Personally it seems like a waste of time to me when you can just get it right.

You just need to stop bringing real life into these theoretical discussions. :p

Fact is if you fly the main speakers and put the subs on the ground there is only one spot you can get them aligned and everywhere else will NOT be. I choose mix position.

If you are stacking your mains on your subs, or flying your subs next to your mains, it makes a big improvement when they are aligned. This improvement is felt throughout the room.

Which begs another question....so how do you determine at what frequency the sub and the mains intersect so that you can choose the right frequency sine wave without the aid of an analyzer?

Don't use a sine wave. I thought all this was well hashed out years ago. Why are we still talking about it? It's all right there on the interweb.

Finding the frequency is easy, the acoustical crossover is fairly well defined by the relative levels, the high-pass/low-pass frequencies and the slopes.
My contention is that Smaart can't perform magic, and either you are aligned or you are not. Walking the venue with a steady signal gives you a good indication of how things work out, and you still have to do that with Smaart. I do agree that if you have more options available, allpassing etc. to move the phase about etc, then you really need a tool, but here we are basically talking about getting two systems in phase at crossover frequency.
Aligning phase between units in a line-array, that's another kettle of fish.

Don't use a sine wave. I thought all this was well hashed out years ago. Why are we still talking about it? It's all right there on the interweb.

Um, that was exactly my point Harry. My response was directed to Per, nobody else.

And Per, can you elaborate on the "easy" method of how you find the *acoustical* crossover frequency without the aid of an analyzer? I'm curious! ;)

Um, that was exactly my point Harry. My response was directed to Per, nobody else.

And Per, can you elaborate on the "easy" method of how you find the *acoustical* crossover frequency without the aid of an analyzer? I'm curious! ;)

I guess I might ask if you need an analyzer to set the crossover frequency? :razz:

Basically, when setting the low-pass frequency and slope for the subs, one takes into account the response and intended gain/level of the subs to hit the intended crossover point where both systems are equally loud. 3dB extra on the subs with a 24dB/oct slope shifts the crossover point by 1/8 octave and so on.
However, for pure time alignment, to get back to the OPs problem, it is fairly easy to get a time reference if one isn't using bandpass subs. Frontloaded BR subs have response high enough in frequency to get accurate timing if one runs the trace on the subs without the low pass filter engaged (or actually set really high so the timing is representative). Of course, resetting the filter will alter the phase, so that has to be accounted for, but you can get a baseline time by this method. Using the baseline time as a starting point for the delay setting, and then tweaking the alignment delays and filters while looking at the full system response and phase. ( one should not be too concerned with finding the actual propagation delay for the different parts of the system since it all has to work to the same time reference eventually )
Knowing the system, i.e. what is the base alignment times when the system is on a single axis in open air is of course a big help in setting up any system.

I guess I might ask if you need an analyzer to set the crossover frequency? :razz:

Basically, when setting the low-pass frequency and slope for the subs, one takes into account the response and intended gain/level of the subs to hit the intended crossover point where both systems are equally loud. 3dB extra on the subs with a 24dB/oct slope shifts the crossover point by 1/8 octave and so on.
However, for pure time alignment, to get back to the OPs problem, it is fairly easy to get a time reference if one isn't using bandpass subs. Frontloaded BR subs have response high enough in frequency to get accurate timing if one runs the trace on the subs without the low pass filter engaged (or actually set really high so the timing is representative). Of course, resetting the filter will alter the phase, so that has to be accounted for, but you can get a baseline time by this method. Using the baseline time as a starting point for the delay setting, and then tweaking the alignment delays and filters while looking at the full system response and phase. ( one should not be too concerned with finding the actual propagation delay for the different parts of the system since it all has to work to the same time reference eventually )
Knowing the system, i.e. what is the base alignment times when the system is on a single axis in open air is of course a big help in setting up any system.

So I guess the answer to Arthur's question is NO.

One important factor that you forgot is that a loudspeaker itself acts as a bandpass filter, on top of whatever you send to it electronically from the DSP. So while you think all that you need to know is what is happening electronically from the output of the crossover to figure out mathematically what the frequency is where the two intersect, there is more to it than that. Apart from using a very high end speaker modeling software package, the ONLY other way to find this frequency is through the use of an analyzer. That is the ONLY way in which you can actually see the accumulated effects on both passbands, and see exactly where the *acoustic* transition is between the two. Remember that systems interact most where they are equal in level. It is at this frequency that you want the two parts of the system to be aligned.

I guess the question is, if you're already clearly having to set up and use an analyzer, why squint and fight with a single input RTA display when you can just use a transfer function? It's not like they were invented to make life more difficult. You can get a lot more information and look at it in more ways much faster than screwing around with the bars of an RTA. Certainly I understand what you're saying, that it's possible to get a rough sub/top alignment with just an RTA and some looking at the real world to make sure you're being realistic. None of us understand why you'd want to do this unless you just can't justify the cost of a real TF analyzer, in which case you still have to have all the skills that would allow you to use a TF analyzer in the first place to do this alignment method. Most people who can't afford Smaart don't need it and don't know how to use it. Clearly you know what's going on, so why screw around in the dark ages wasting your time?

I guess the question is, if you're already clearly having to set up and use an analyzer, why squint and fight with a single input RTA display when you can just use a transfer function? It's not like they were invented to make life more difficult. You can get a lot more information and look at it in a more ways much faster than screwing around with the bars of an RTA. Certainly I understand what you're saying, that it's possible to get a rough sub/top alignment with just an RTA and some looking at the real world to make sure you're being realistic. None of us understand why you'd want to do this unless you just can't justify the cost of a real TF analyzer, in which case you still have to have all the skills that would allow you to use a TF analyzer in the first place to do this alignment method. Most people who can't afford Smaart don't need it and don't know how to use it. Clearly you know what's going on, so why screw around in the dark ages wasting your time?

I was a late convert to measuring. Actually my FIRST real experience using SMAART was version 7. Prior to that I had occasionally seen it at other guys FOH but mostly ignored it.

I used the same arguments about being able to align subs by ear. Sure, for a two way system, and considering you have easily plus or minus 15 milliseconds of leeway, it really wasn't that hard to get something usable by Kentucky windage. An eyeball estimate, and some playback music to check, and all was good.

Of course all that goes out the door as you start to use more and more complex systems, or want to add attributes like steering.

When I first started using SMAART, if I felt a time crunch, the measurement system would be the last thing I would set up. And then I finally realized that was costing me time.

The Ah!Ha! moment, for me, came at a PAC show where I had burned up all my soundcheck time and still did not have a usable mix. I KNEW I was making changes at the console that weren't being reflected in the system. I knew that the mids were nonexistent, but I kept getting the "thats the way its always been" argument from the house tech. I finally set up the measurement system and showed him the rig wasn't producing anything from 100-3000 hz.

At that point (now about 1/2 hour from doors), they finally let me into the system processor where I found a three way crossover wired into a two way system. Basically the LF band went to the subs and the HF band went to the tops and the MF band went no where. There were audience members in the room as I wrote a quick 2 way crossover, and first heard some walkin music. We ended up doing a quick festival style line check and just going hot on the first song. It was still 10000 times better than anything we had in soundcheck.

So now the first thing I do is set up to get a baseline measurement. On my system or someone elses that tells me everything is good or there is a problem to be addressed. While some playback would do the same thing, the measurement gives me some solid clues as to what the problems might be, and if it is someone elses system, some evidence that there IS a problem that we should be trying to fix.

Often the trying to convince someone else is the real timewaster, and having the measurement helps shorten that process.

I love this story. If I had been there with you, I would have continued to tweak the system while you mixed the show until I got it real close. No need to go muting outputs in the middle. After a while you can see a lot of stuff live. Stuff we would fight all night. It can be frustrating to get a stable trace with live music but Smaart 7 definitely helps with that.

I was a late convert to measuring. Actually my FIRST real experience using SMAART was version 7. Prior to that I had occasionally seen it at other guys FOH but mostly ignored it.

I used the same arguments about being able to align subs by ear. Sure, for a two way system, and considering you have easily plus or minus 15 milliseconds of leeway, it really wasn't that hard to get something usable by Kentucky windage. An eyeball estimate, and some playback music to check, and all was good.

Of course all that goes out the door as you start to use more and more complex systems, or want to add attributes like steering.

When I first started using SMAART, if I felt a time crunch, the measurement system would be the last thing I would set up. And then I finally realized that was costing me time.

The Ah!Ha! moment, for me, came at a PAC show where I had burned up all my soundcheck time and still did not have a usable mix. I KNEW I was making changes at the console that weren't being reflected in the system. I knew that the mids were nonexistent, but I kept getting the "thats the way its always been" argument from the house tech. I finally set up the measurement system and showed him the rig wasn't producing anything from 100-3000 hz.

At that point (now about 1/2 hour from doors), they finally let me into the system processor where I found a three way crossover wired into a two way system. Basically the LF band went to the subs and the HF band went to the tops and the MF band went no where. There were audience members in the room as I wrote a quick 2 way crossover, and first heard some walkin music. We ended up doing a quick festival style line check and just going hot on the first song. It was still 10000 times better than anything we had in soundcheck.

So now the first thing I do is set up to get a baseline measurement. On my system or someone elses that tells me everything is good or there is a problem to be addressed. While some playback would do the same thing, the measurement gives me some solid clues as to what the problems might be, and if it is someone elses system, some evidence that there IS a problem that we should be trying to fix.

Often the trying to convince someone else is the real timewaster, and having the measurement helps shorten that process.

Sorry, busy week-end, no time for forums.

No you didn't. What you describe requires an analyzer of some type.

No it doesn't, not in a known system. Even when the system is unknown, some assumptions can be made about the response. These assumptions might not always be accurate, and I accept that there is a margin for error here. However, your typical front-loaded sub climbs about 3dB/oct from 100 Hz, and your typical top drops 10dB/oct below 100 Hz. In a smallish system it often stops there, there is no extra sub power, and the crossover frequency and the acoustic crossover are equal and around 80-100 Hz. End of story.
If we add some subs and don't do anything else, and we're getting 6 dB extra from the subs, we are shifting the acoustical crossover by an amount that can be calculated from the slope of the low-pass and the response of the sub. Assuming a 24dB/oct slope, acoustically we have around 21 dB/oct. If we have not changed the high pass of the tops, we'll match up somwhere where the tops are slightly louder, so our frequency shift is (6dB-1.5dB)/21dB/oct= 250 cents = 1.15 times the crossover frequency (roughly).
Now assuming that we have some extra subs, 10dB worth, and the subs themselves are lowpassed at 6dB/oct @ 65Hz to flatten the response curve, so they'll roll off at 3dB/oct above 100 Hz, the shift is going to be less, but likely there are going to be more phase issues, but an actual acoustic crossover is still relatively easy to calculate.

Basically, and this is a very easy method: With a 24dB/oct lowpass, the frequency will shift one semitone for each 2 dB added

One important factor that you forgot is that a loudspeaker itself acts as a bandpass filter, on top of whatever you send to it electronically from the DSP. So while you think all that you need to know is what is happening electronically from the output of the crossover to figure out mathematically what the frequency is where the two intersect, there is more to it than that. Apart from using a very high end speaker modeling software package, the ONLY other way to find this frequency is through the use of an analyzer. That is the ONLY way in which you can actually see the accumulated effects on both passbands, and see exactly where the *acoustic* transition is between the two.

I'm not forgetting the loudspeaker, and remember I was also referring to not using bandpass subs for some of this exercise, with a bandpass sub, like a 4th or 6th order job, and a totally unknown system where one doesn't know anything about the system, things certainly get very difficult to calculate. If it gets bad enough, one just have to A/B the bottom and tops untill one finds a frequency that is close. Still, in most real life situations, one will have a low-pass filter on the bandpass subs that is still defining the crossover frequency, and therefore also what happens in the quarter to half octave above the crossover frequency, bandpass subs generally mean steeper cut-off, therefore less shift.

Remember that systems interact most where they are equal in level. It is at this frequency that you want the two parts of the system to be aligned.
Yes, that is the acoustical crossover frequency we are actually discussing at this point.

The main problem with bandpass subs, filtering and shaping the response curve and generally doing anything, is the shift of phase that occurs, not finding the actual frequency. Typically, anything we do that shapes the upwards sub response and anything that moves the acoustic crossover upwards in frequency will make the phase of the subs lag further behind (become more negative, have a downwards slope on the curve), which in terms of alignment will mean we have to delay the tops more to get the phases to match up. This is of course a good thing in a way, it means we can start off with a delay that reflects the differences in physical distance (which can be reasonably accurately eyeballed) and then increase from there when listening.
Will the result be perfect? Of course not, you can only tune perfect for one location, but as with any other method, walking the venue and making sure there are no really bad spots with the setting that is chosen is important. In many ways, adjusting the delay between tops and subs is an exercise in steering the lobe at crossover frequency.

Tuning any system, no matter what the tools are, one really needs to know what one is doing and what one tries to achieve, and the methods for getting there.
It might for instance become obvious that the time alignment between tops and subs is not right when phases match, so a phase flip is in order. I believe that the subs shoud always be positive phase, so I'll elect to flip the tops if a phase flip seems appropriate.

I guess the question is, if you're already clearly having to set up and use an analyzer, why squint and fight with a single input RTA display when you can just use a transfer function? It's not like they were invented to make life more difficult. You can get a lot more information and look at it in more ways much faster than screwing around with the bars of an RTA. Certainly I understand what you're saying, that it's possible to get a rough sub/top alignment with just an RTA and some looking at the real world to make sure you're being realistic. None of us understand why you'd want to do this unless you just can't justify the cost of a real TF analyzer, in which case you still have to have all the skills that would allow you to use a TF analyzer in the first place to do this alignment method. Most people who can't afford Smaart don't need it and don't know how to use it. Clearly you know what's going on, so why screw around in the dark ages wasting your time?

I don't own a Smaart license, partly because it is fairly expensive for my needs, and partly because it doesn't really appeal to me as a tool.
I see people putting up loads of Smart traces on the forums without seemingly having a good explanation for the correlation between the real physics going on and the traces. I have heard very dull systems that looks good in Smaart and really awesome systems that doesn't look that great. Smaart and other advanced tools might convince operators to try and fix what doesn't need to get fixed. Like the purist preamps from the 70's and 80's that might just have a RIAA stage and a volume control, I believe less is more when it comes to tuning a system. I do sometimes play around with REW and have Blue Cat Frequency Analyst Multi running a comparative trace, and I have to admit that I've even sometimes been thinking that maybe Smaart could confirm or explain things I think I'm hearing.
However, most of the time I'm using either my own system that I know well or a venue system where I have no access, so I'm not in the typical pro Smaart user category at all.

Interesting thread.

We can sit here all day and talk about how a system 'feels' etc... but at the end of the day, if we are trying to define whether 2 loudspeakers are aligned at a certain frequency, that is a quantitative question, that can only be accurately answered using quantitative tools.

Sure, systems that look nice on a trace sometimes don't 'feel' right, and sometimes you get technically poor systems and have a great show. But thats not what's being asked here.

Here are the salient points for me:

First: Physical alignment is the first issue. This is true for all speakers, not just subs. The art of good system design is in physically positioning the speakers in such a way that they will later align well after processing. This is true when deploying delays for a main system, and its true when deploying subs.

Second: In the typical subs-on-the-ground-speakers-in-the-air scenario, the subs and tops can only be 'aligned' at one point. This is purely because the relative distance (and thus the relative arrival times) change as you move throughout the venue. Picking your point is important. I normally pick the middle of the audience area. In an arena, this is normally about FOH position. If you pick the middle, then the absolute difference in alignment for the audience members will be better, because the absolute distance to the point of alignment is lower.
For example: better that at the front the subs are 5ms early, and at the back they are 5ms late, than being aligned at the front, and 10ms late at the back.

Third: There are lots of OK ways to get your subs aligned, but using a transfer function is by far the easiest. Simply pick your point, find the delay to the mic using the main system and capture a trace. Leave that delay in place, and capture a trace of the subs. Compare the phase traces at the crossover region (which can be easily located using the magnitude traces). delay the earlier system so that the traces overlap through the crossover, and voila. Normally, if the subs are on the floor, they will be early (since they are closer).
Sometimes, if the relative distances are large, the amount of delay required might not be obvious. In this case, you can approximate the delay time required by using the relative distance measurement and start with that before measuring. This will hep you get in the ballpark, and then your TF will get it spot on.

Lastly: Smaart cost me <£300 from a dealer. Since owning it, I've used it on approximately £100k worth of work. So in terms of investment, its pretty minimal, and paid for itself in no time at all.

I was doing a noise study last year. The FOH tech for the company doing the gig made a comment about how someone had "smaarted" his system a few months back and it was so dull sounding. I had been thinking for over an hour how horribly harsh it was. It was indeed the worst sounding VDOSC rig I ever heard anywhere. He called it good, and had no credibility with me at that point. I didn't get into it. I wasn't even there to measure the system and I didn't. It was like sticking your head inside a large format HF horn driver being over driven. Even with foam plugs in, it did not sound good at FOH. Most of the engineers for the household name, bands that played were quite satisfied. I think a lot of people have burned out ears out there. One thing we promote about Smaart, help for tired ears. One reason why people leave concerts and the world sounds like they have their ears covered with their hands is because of too loud, shows mixed by burned out engineers with way way way too much HF. Then on top of that the euro systems seem to love this extra top end to the point of adding it to the systems but that's more a matter of taste. I'll tell you this, all I want from the system is what I put into it. Then if it's harsh it's on me for mixing it that way. I don't want the subs hyped either, but that doesn't mean my sub bass won't be 24-30 dB hotter than the rest of the frequencies. I just do it on the desk, instead of the system.

This is what I would write IF I could write.....it's like you are inside my head...get out of my head sir!

Interesting thread.

We can sit here all day and talk about how a system 'feels' etc... but at the end of the day, if we are trying to define whether 2 loudspeakers are aligned at a certain frequency, that is a quantitative question, that can only be accurately answered using quantitative tools.

Sure, systems that look nice on a trace sometimes don't 'feel' right, and sometimes you get technically poor systems and have a great show. But thats not what's being asked here.

Here are the salient points for me:

First: Physical alignment is the first issue. This is true for all speakers, not just subs. The art of good system design is in physically positioning the speakers in such a way that they will later align well after processing. This is true when deploying delays for a main system, and its true when deploying subs.

Second: In the typical subs-on-the-ground-speakers-in-the-air scenario, the subs and tops can only be 'aligned' at one point. This is purely because the relative distance (and thus the relative arrival times) change as you move throughout the venue. Picking your point is important. I normally pick the middle of the audience area. In an arena, this is normally about FOH position. If you pick the middle, then the absolute difference in alignment for the audience members will be better, because the absolute distance to the point of alignment is lower.
For example: better that at the front the subs are 5ms early, and at the back they are 5ms late, than being aligned at the front, and 10ms late at the back.

Third: There are lots of OK ways to get your subs aligned, but using a transfer function is by far the easiest. Simply pick your point, find the delay to the mic using the main system and capture a trace. Leave that delay in place, and capture a trace of the subs. Compare the phase traces at the crossover region (which can be easily located using the magnitude traces). delay the earlier system so that the traces overlap through the crossover, and voila. Normally, if the subs are on the floor, they will be early (since they are closer).
Sometimes, if the relative distances are large, the amount of delay required might not be obvious. In this case, you can approximate the delay time required by using the relative distance measurement and start with that before measuring. This will hep you get in the ballpark, and then your TF will get it spot on.

Lastly: Smaart cost me <£300 from a dealer. Since owning it, I've used it on approximately £100k worth of work. So in terms of investment, its pretty minimal, and paid for itself in no time at all.