PK Sound

Re: PK Sound

It is pretty much like driving: Expect all others to be inattentive, me-first, discourteous assholes. Be happily surprised when they convince you otherwise. Still remain wary.

Greg: Fly everything you can in a multi-use space. Subs too. Fewer overall callbacks.

It is pretty much like driving: Expect all others to be inattentive, me-first, discourteous assholes. Be happily surprised when they convince you otherwise. Still remain wary.

Greg: Fly everything you can in a multi-use space. Subs too. Fewer overall callbacks.

These Rat subs aren't the flyable version. But even if they were I probably wouldn't since I'm not a fan of the extra destructive interference of having the subs up in the air and bouncing off the floor. The layout I have with them on the floor currently gives pretty ideal coverage & coupling. So I'll live with putting them away on the few occasions they need to move ;)

But even if they were I probably wouldn't since I'm not a fan of the extra destructive interference of having the subs up in the air and bouncing off the floor.
Greg,

The sound from the subs will bounce off every room boundary regardless of whether floor mounted or ceiling mounted. Ceiling mounted there would be less destructive interference with the mains, and SPL and frequency response (especially in the LF crossover "punch" range) would be more consistent from front to back.

But since your subs aren't the flyable version, fly hardware or a shelf would need to be installed if you did wish to make the change, and the venue would not likely pay you a dime for that...

Art

You are correct. The undamped cone movement will cause notches in the response of the working sub.

When I bring in a rig to a venue with an existing system I always ask the system tech to please turn on all the amps-and mute the DSP.

The amps will at as a "brake" on the cone movement.

Not as good as if they were not there or if there was a short on the speaker connector-but better than leaving the amps off.

God help me, but I do believe J. Gordon Holt, founder of STEREOPHILE, recommended this practice when demo'ing home speakers, at minimum. In the 1970s HiFi heyday, showrooms would have a wall of speakers on display, with no regard for placement or interplay.

If you were gonna go long bread you had the "appointment" listening room.

God help me, but I do believe J. Gordon Holt, founder of STEREOPHILE, recommended this practice when demo'ing home speakers, at minimum. In the 1970s HiFi heyday, showrooms would have a wall of speakers on display, with no regard for placement or interplay.

If you were gonna go long bread you had the "appointment" listening room.

Lemme guess, the audiophools thought that bringing a fresh baguette with them made the sound "warmer" and "crisper" at the same time somehow?

In the 1970s HiFi heyday, showrooms would have a wall of speakers on display, with no regard for placement or interplay.
And different speakers in different physical positions will have different reflection paths, causing different sounds-EVEN if they were identical.

Simply move a pair of speakers to a different position in a room and they will sound different-due to the different paths.

That makes it a lot harder to compare speakers.

The sound from the subs will bounce off every room boundary regardless of whether floor mounted or ceiling mounted. Ceiling mounted there would be less destructive interference with the mains, and SPL and frequency response (especially in the LF crossover "punch" range) would be more consistent from front to back.

Hey Art,

The commonly cited complaint is that for large audience areas the reflection off the floor, by the time it reaches ear height, is usually out of phase with the main energy around 75Hz. As everyone knows 75Hz is the only point of subwoofers, and having them on the floor reduces this issue. Of course the mains still exhibit the problem, and questions about audience absorption and floor material may render the point moot.