Power conditioning for active arrays

Jeff Kenney

Freshman
Mar 4, 2013
Anyone got a solution for 15amp 120volt power conditioning for perm installation?
Got a room with bad power and voltage sags are not gonna be fixed by power company.. its frying amps.

Re: Power conditioning for active arrays

Anyone got a solution for 15amp 120volt power conditioning for perm installation?
Got a room with bad power and voltage sags are not gonna be fixed by power company.. its frying amps.

Typically low power is not going to "fry amps".

The problem with trying to use a "conditioner" to fix power sags when using power amps is current. If the voltage is low-then the unit (along with the amps) will pull additional current to "make up" for the loss of voltage.

The could cause the breaker to trip-depending on how hard it is pushed.

What exactly is going wrong with the amps?

If bad power was killing amps, it would be killing all the rest of the electronics in the building too, and possibly the entire neighborhood (or anyone who shares the transformer). I'd look at other things like bad wiring, perhaps a loose neutral.

There's nothing a power conditioner would do to help this situation anyway, with the exception of an Automatic Voltage Regulating UPS.

If bad power was killing amps, it would be killing all the rest of the electronics in the building too, and possibly the entire neighborhood (or anyone who shares the transformer). I'd look at other things like bad wiring, perhaps a loose neutral.

There's nothing a power conditioner would do to help this situation anyway, with the exception of an Automatic Voltage Regulating UPS.
Or maybe the amps are prone to failure-and the "power" gets blamed-as it always does--------------------------------

I can't tell you the number of times I have heard "Oh that's bad power" in my years in the industry-yet only once have I seen that actually happen.

I was working with a wedding band and all of a sudden "all hell broke loose" in the sound-and the instruments etc. Hums-keyboard losing patches distortion etc everywhere.

I stuck a meter in the wall and it was 70V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that would do it. I checked several other places in the building and they were all around 70V. After a few minutes it popped back up and everything was fine.

Yeah THAT was bad power.

Not always. Excessive harmonic content can cause some SMPS units to run hot, which could push a design that has minimal thermal headroom to fail prematurely. The effects of overvoltage will vary depending on the power supply design, with global power supplies tending to be rather tolerant of overvoltage at a nominal 120V. As more and more equipment has global power supplies, less and less will show adverse effects from overvoltage events.

I'm a bit curious as to the nature of the "bad power" and the nature of the failures. PG&E has a nice compilation of the various voltage fluctuation standards, which is worth a read, at least for context. Linky

Or maybe the amps are prone to failure-and the "power" gets blamed-as it always does--------------------------------

I can't tell you the number of times I have heard "Oh that's bad power" in my years in the industry-yet only once have I seen that actually happen.

I was working with a wedding band and all of a sudden "all hell broke loose" in the sound-and the instruments etc. Hums-keyboard losing patches distortion etc everywhere.

I stuck a meter in the wall and it was 70V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that would do it. I checked several other places in the building and they were all around 70V. After a few minutes it popped back up and everything was fine.

Yeah THAT was bad power.

Dam delta primary.