Power Connectors

Chuck Simon

Junior
Jan 19, 2011
I want to update/expand my current AC capability and I would like to carry an assortment of 220 volt plugs. It seems I still run into the old three prong range plug more often than anything in the bars and clubs I work in that even have 220 volt receptacles. What are some of the most common plugs/connectors that you guys run into and suggest carrying?

This is a tough question, because not only can there be many different connectors in use, it also seems that electricians like to use the wrong connector for the job, either wired wrong or otherwise.

Also note, it is illegal to draw 120V off of a receptacle wired for 240V without a neutral; the only way to get 120V is to use the ground as a neutral, which is NOT a current-carrying conductor, and can be undersized, etc. Don't do it.

Common plugs I see are L5-20, L6-20, L14-20, L14-30, L21-20, L21-30, NEMA 5-15R (Edison), 5-20R, 14-50R (range plug with neutral), 14-30R (dryer plug with neutral), 6-30R and 6-50R (dryer and range without neutral), 14-60R (like a range plug with neutral but 60 amps, rare), camlocks, and some of the pin connectors hotels have, but they have their own plugs for them.

Of course, you can NOT use any of the plugs with a '6' in them, since there is no neutral there.

I bring adapters for the dryer plug, range plug, and some of the twist locks if I need. I have a big inventory at the shop, so I try to get the information on what connectors are available when I advance a show.

Modifying venue electrical systems is generally frowned on unless you're a licensed electrician, so if you need "big power" then it's best to have an electrician tie you in. You might complain that it's expensive, etc, but if the show is big enough to warrant the big power, it should be big enough to pay an electrician, or be in a venue with a house electrician.

Edit: And, ALWAYS meter every plug you connect to, hot to hot, hots to neutral, hots to ground, and neutral to ground. You wouldn't believe how many plugs I've seen where the neutral is the third phase of a 3-phase supply, or the neutral and hot are swapped, ground is hot, etc etc. One wrong move and your entire rig is blown up, so be careful.

Last edited:
Re: Power Connectors

Please excuse my ignorance for asking, but, as you probably know, out here in the real world the 10-50P is used quite often in portable power distribution, broken out into individual circuits with the common serving as the ground. Often that is all that is available and is often located on stage for that purpose. Of course they are usually older buildings. What are the dangers of doing so?

Well that certainly makes sense! Not that I want to be the first to experience such a disaster, but has that actually happened? Is there any way to safely use a 10-50P when it is all that is available?

Also note, it is illegal to draw 120V off of a receptacle wired for 240V without a neutral; the only way to get 120V is to use the ground as a neutral, which is NOT a current-carrying conductor, and can be undersized, etc. Don't do it.

Common plugs I see are L5-20, L6-20, L14-20, L14-30, L21-20, L21-30, NEMA 5-15R (Edison), 5-20R, 14-50R (range plug with neutral), 14-30R (dryer plug with neutral), 6-30R and 6-50R (dryer and range without neutral), 14-60R (like a range plug with neutral but 60 amps, rare), camlocks, and some of the pin connectors hotels have, but they have their own plugs for them.

Of course, you can NOT use any of the plugs with a '6' in them, since there is no neutral there.

Getting 120V from a 240V receptacle is perfectly safe and legal provided you are using a step-down transformer to do so. What you aren't allowed to do is use the equipment safety ground as a return path.

That's a good list of the connectors in common use, although it is missing the "California" connectors, commonly found on generators (like an L14-50, but with a different twist style).

Getting 120V from a 240V receptacle is perfectly safe and legal provided you are using a step-down transformer to do so. What you aren't allowed to do is use the equipment safety ground as a return path.

That's a good list of the connectors in common use, although it is missing the "California" connectors, commonly found on generators (like an L14-50, but with a different twist style).

Looking at the diagram, I'm actually a bit wrong in the OP. The 10-30 and 10-50 are the dryer and range plugs, but I also commonly see 6-30 and 6-50s. Neither the 6- or 10- receptacles are legal, although the 6- receptacles would be with a transformer. The 10- series have no ground, which a transformer wouldn't help.

I'm sure Phil was going to suggest that the ungrounded plugs are legal if a distro is connected to an external ground source, but you won't catch me venturing there or offering such advice....

And while I do see a lot of the 50-amp twists on peoples' power distros, I have never seen one mounted permanently in a building.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, and you should assume I know nothing. Nothing I say will make you an electrican, nor should anything I say about electricity be put into practice by anyone other than a licensed, code-knowing electrician.

Last edited:

I was not going that far on purpose Silas.

I know. But sometimes, it's better to let people know why it's wrong and show them what would be right, just so they know, and can spot trouble in the future.

There was a thread about discussing topics like electricity and rigging, where people can die, and whether these topics should be avoided. If the people reading this never read anything saying "no, that's wrong, this is right" then they'll probably keep doing it wrong...

And while I do see a lot of the 50-amp twists on peoples' power distros, I have never seen one mounted permanently in a building.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, and you should assume I know nothing. Nothing I say will make you an electrican, nor should anything I say about electricity be put into practice by anyone other than a licensed, code-knowing electrician.

We see lots of 50 amp CS connectors in buildings/outdoor venues here. We also see a couple 14-50Rs here and there but unfortunately we don't see enough CamLocks. Lots of Lugs in hotels and an occasional Hubbel 26520 3-phase 60 amp/600 volt connector.

Most of the power we see is 63A three phase 415V or single phase 230V ceeform, with smaller gigs having 13A sockets. There appear to be considerably fewer kinds of plugs on this side of the pond.

So the local outdoor event has a 10-50R. I explained to the organizer that this plug is not to code and does not have a safety ground. He was nice about it and said he would check with the city electrician. They came back and said the plug should be fine as is. I got the standard answer, "It has worked for every other band the past 15 years, and everyone who plays here knows to bring the right plug." I told him that they could change to 14-50R and it would be perfect. Still no go....

Shall I simply make an adapter to 14-50P and tie ground with neutral, or do I push this farther with them?
What do you guys think I should do?

Attachments

• Nema 10-50.jpg
    Nema 10-50.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0

Don't fool with it. It's right or you don't use it. A lot of licensed electricians do stuff that does not meet code and don't give a shit unless an inspector reams them a new one. And if this guy works for the city, he and the inspector may be in each others' pockets.