Rcf hdl 20a

Re: Rcf hdl 20a

I don't get why people are banging on about RCF and DB systems. They're really crap. When a company "invests" in this it speaks volumes about their lack of knowledge and professional integrity. As an engineer who works around the planet I see a pattern in the kind of people who buy this stuff. They also have to keep telling everyone how great they think it is because it's absence on technical riders says enough. I actually specify " RCF and DB are unacceptable". If you're short of cash and just need to make a noise then say so. Don't try to convince people it's a good noise, it's not.

I don't get why people are banging on about RCF and DB systems. They're really crap. When a company "invests" in this it speaks volumes about their lack of knowledge and professional integrity. As an engineer who works around the planet I see a pattern in the kind of people who buy this stuff. They also have to keep telling everyone how great they think it is because it's absence on technical riders says enough. I actually specify " RCF and DB are unacceptable". If you're short of cash and just need to make a noise then say so. Don't try to convince people it's a good noise, it's not.

To which RCF or dB Technologies products are you referring?

We're RCF/DB dealers. We're also invested heavily in JBL VerTec. We sell what people want to buy, and we own some DB T4. We don't try to convince promoters they're JBL or Meyer or l'Acoustic, but we're also not in control of what promoters are willing to pay. If your artist has any clout (i.e. selling out venues) you can get whatever you want, if not you get whatever the promoter is paying for. Sorry, but that's reality.

We try to get clients to hire the right rig for the venue and show, but we can't hold a gun to their heads to make them do so.

Last edited:

Damn, I'm impressed. Do you not see that you're exactly on the flip side of the equation?

The reality is that they make noise and it's good enough. I personally dislike the VRX systems more than any other system on the planet (which is saying something since I've dealt with a Carvin "system" before) but they work, they sound fine for the price point and can be made to appropriately do their job.

RCF systems are fine. DB systems are good enough. The people who deploy them often aren't. A mobile church setup came through my school and they ran DVA T4s in such a way that they sounded stunning. They are going to be back in a month or two, and I actually can't wait to hear a tuned system in there again. In fact (Tom and Evan are going to kill me for this), they sounded better than the Q1 arrays I heard just a few weeks ago. The DVA T4s simply don't get as loud, which is perfectly fine for a church.

Last edited:

Damn, I'm impressed. Do you not see that you're exactly on the flip side of the equation?

The reality is that they make noise and it's good enough. I personally dislike the VRX systems more than any other system on the planet (which is saying something since I've dealt with a Carvin "system" before) but they work, they sound fine for the price point and can be made to appropriately do their job.

RCF systems are fine. DB systems are good enough. The people who deploy them often aren't. A mobile church setup came through my school and they ran DVA T4s in such a way that they sounded stunning. They are going to be back in a month or two, and I actually can't wait to hear a tuned system in there again. In fact (Tom and Evan are going to kill me for this), they sounded better than the Q1 arrays I heard just a few weeks ago. The DVA T4s simply don't get as loud, which is perfectly fine for a church.

Oh dear..........
I'm speechless

All of it. It's rubbish and sounds like rubbish. My point is that it's just not professional gear and people who are pushing it are not doing their reputation any favours,

All of it. It's rubbish and sounds like rubbish. My point is that it's just not professional gear and people who are pushing it are not doing their reputation any favours,

While I don’t really like the HDL20, the TT range from RCF is excellent. Our TT22a’s and TT2a’s perform better than our Nexo PS15s MK1’s.

The DB Technologies T12s and T8s are a BIG step up from the older and much less powerful T4s.

I have attended blind shoot outs with dB Technologies T12’s against some of the name brand boxes. On the score sheets everyone one picked the DBT12s, everyone! Boxes like Nexo Geo 12S, EAW KF730(XTA 226) , D&B Q1 don’t sound as good, go as loud or throw as far.

Newer box like D&B V Series, Flex Array(Lake), JBL VTX20, L- Acoustics Kara are ofcourse a little better.

Welcome to the forum - the place where provocative, unsubstantiated generalizations are fodder for lots of fun. :)

I have never heard an RCF or DBTech product first hand, but when I was shopping for systems a couple years ago, I spent a fair bit of time in the prediction tools of the DBTech and the NX/HD tools. I trust the opinions of a number of folks that some of the boxes indeed do sound great, however the prediction software (at the time - I haven't looked recently), was truly garbage. I ended up buying JBL, largely for cross-renting ability.