Real-time spectrum analysis app for iPad

Dick Rees

Curmudgeonly Scandihoovian
Jan 11, 2011
St Paul, MN
I know the subject has come up before, but I can't find anything with a search. Looking for a free or low-cost app for iPad to give me something akin to the "SMAART Jr" feature on my StudioLive.

Any leads???

Re: Real-time spectrum analysis app for iPad

Studio Six

I know the subject has come up before, but I can't find anything with a search. Looking for a free or low-cost app for iPad to give me something akin to the "SMAART Jr" feature on my StudioLive.

Any leads???

Do you guys use an external, calibrated mic or do you trust the accuracy of the built in iPad mic?

Do you guys use an external, calibrated mic or do you trust the accuracy of the built in iPad mic?
The studio six developers has already implemented calibration for all the iThingie devices it can run on so it is much more accurate than a generic mic.

I run the app transfer function using a small digital line6 device (sonic port) that I connect to my aux outputs (one for the solo bus and one for the extrnal measurement mic). This setup works great and I've used it with both ipad and iphone.

If you are using a coreaudio compliant mixer like the x32 you can connect the iThingie directly to the usb port and go digital all the way. You can even use cubasis or auria to record the multitracks if you want to, or use the fx and amp sims for some real creativity!

The studio six RTA app works great for what it is, even with the built in apple mic. I use Smaart for tuning wedges and then when it's time to go on stage and tweak mixes I use the iPad for the console app and the iPhone for listening. I can hold them both in one hand without any issue and they accurate where they need to be. You can add the extra iOS interface for the several hundred dollars but I believe you are still getting a single channel measurement.

You can now by the SMAART Tools app for ipad and iphone without having to purchase the Studio Six bundle first. Just search for SMAART Tools in the app store. I think it's $50 and well worth it in my opinion. It's single channel so you can't do transfers but for most other things it's great. I do wish I could pinpoint frequencies with my finger on the spectrograph screen like you can on the RTA. Not sure why they omitted that. But if you use the two window mode you can do it. Also the app works on all your iOS devices with a single purchase.

I don't understand why people would buy Smaart without a transfer function.

I'm a happy Studio Six transfer function user, and I saw no point in getting the Smaart add on.

You will also want a calibrated mic (Dayton emm-6 is good and cheap), a sum to mono and split cable, a usb interface (art is good and cheap), and an apple usb camera kit.