Road Case Acronyms

Cole Lofink

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
NJ/NC
www.sonuspro.com
What are some of the acronyms you guys have on your road cases. Although I would enjoy to see or hear some humorous ones I'm more interested in serious ones. By serious I mean clearly labeled so crew knows whats inside. So the right cases get in the truck and get to the gig.

<u>Heres what I'm using thus far;</u>

PWR-000 (cases containing power cables)

MIC-000 (mic and di boxes)

OBR-000 (out-board racks)

LED-108 (Case 1 containing 8 LED Pars)

Now I need acronyms for my; wireless mic racks, audio trunks, lighting trunks

Consoles are labeled with model number; CX8-244 (Crest X8 24mono 4 stereo)

Re: Road Case Acronyms

I got this 3 letter then 3 number thing going on so it lines up nice in Excel.

How many of each of these do you have? If you only have one mic box... writing MIC-000 is a bit dopey looking to me. If you only have two of them... then MIC-1 , MIC-2 would seem a bit more practical then mic-001.

I know some guys who color code their different systems, which makes it really easy to use them in combination, without the struggle of making sure everything gets back where it belongs. Example... everything in the ''A'' rig is marked blue in some way (e-tape is used mostly) ... the ''B'' rig will be yellow and so on. It's simple, and effective. Then just label the case BLUE-RF, YELLOW-LT.. etc.

I mentioned this on Facebook, so some of you may have seen it, but when putting boxes in to your inventory computer, it is better to use labels that make sense both to you and your customers, when they review the invoice.

What we learned we should NOT do is put it in the computer with its shop name. ''What is a Ye Olde Socopexe Trunke?'' asked a customer recently.

If I remember rightly, ours is something roughly like this:

0-999 = guitar/bass amp case

1000-1999 = keyboard case

2000-2999 = rack

3000-3999 = drum case

4000-4999 = utility case

etc.

If you run out of numbers, you have one hell of an inventory.

Our cases are mainly labeled with what is in them.

DR-1 -> Drive Rack

FX-1 -> FX/Dynamics Rack

PS-1 -> Console Power Supply

EQ-1 -> Monitor EQs

Main PD -> Main Power Distro

Sub PD -> Sub Power Distro

FOH Amp Racks are just labeled 1-24

MR-1 -> Monitor Amp Rack

SC-1 -> Audio Snake

SN-1 -> Lighting Snake

AC-1 -> Audio Power

MC-1 -> Monitor Cables

M1 -> Motor Power

LWB-1 -> Long Work Box

R1 -> Rigging

F1 -> Feeder

CC1 -> Concessions Case

XT-1 -> L Acoustics 15XT Monitors

Arc1 -> Arcs

If you have more than one case of each (which we have lots of), just up the number.

The Band gear that we transport is normally just labeled with a number.

Because our entire rig is a rental package we put laminated labels on each box stating what is inside of it. I have trunks named such things as ''Front Fills'', ''FOH Snakes 1 of 2'', ''Pit Snakes'', ''Mic Stands'' and 26 other equally descriptive names.

I find this much less confusing than any letter and number code. They're fairly durable (they've lasted 430 shows and 15 months so far) and they can be changed whenever you need to with minimal effort.

Because our entire rig is a rental package we put laminated labels on each box stating what is inside of it. I have trunks named such things as ''Front Fills'', ''FOH Snakes 1 of 2'', ''Pit Snakes'', ''Mic Stands'' and 26 other equally descriptive names.

I find this much less confusing than any letter and number code. They're fairly durable (they've lasted 430 shows and 15 months so far) and they can be changed whenever you need to with minimal effort.

The locals aren't going to take the time to learn any particular numbering system. In that case best to just say what's in it. The big number/letter help when calling a pack but for contents best to put what's in the case on in in some way. Jake's laminated tags are popular as is gaffer.

The locals aren't going to take the time to learn any particular numbering system. In that case best to just say what's in it. The big number/letter help when calling a pack but for contents best to put what's in the case on in in some way. Jake's laminated tags are popular as is gaffer.

We do the whole gaff with sharpie on it.

All cases have numbers on them for the truck pack, and then they are labeled with a big thick sharpie what goes in it.

Evan

Weekend warrior (and swamp yankee) that I am, I never saw fit to come up with anything but a plain-English description on the case: Amp rack, FX rack, mics, etc. Just white gaff and black sharpie. Like Jake said, it's less confusing.

Weekend warrior (and swamp yankee) that I am, I never saw fit to come up with anything but a plain-English description on the case: Amp rack, FX rack, mics, etc. Just white gaff and black sharpie. Like Jake said, it's less confusing.

Much less confusing. That is, until plain-English doesn't suffice. But that's a whole separate thread. We found these little hand-written labels all over the place after the Tokyo stop.