Scene Manager - Public Beta Release V 0.1.5

Re: Scene Manager - Public Beta Release V 0.1.5

Good morning Kevin,

I have loaded your handy work, but I am having trouble trying to use it. I know you are very busy, but if you get second or two, I would like to get a few pointers.

James

Hi James,

I'm planning on creating a manual when I get a chance but the functionality comes first :)

heres a quick guide.

Patch List Creator

when you are on the patch list creator select which lists you want created by ticking the boxes on the left hand side, then press the load from file button and select your scene file. This should now display the list.

if you then press the print / export button you can save the lists to all different types of formats or print it.

Utilities Page
this let's you change the skin (colour scheme)

OSC Page
allows you to experiment with the OSC protocol that the desk uses. To use this you have to first set the IP address of the X32 by pressing the set x32 IP address button, then press the test connection button. If it passes you can now talk to the desk.

That should get you started , if you want help in any specific area let me know and I will help :)

Kev

Kevin, Thank you. I have gotten your program up and functional, but I was stumped when it came to the parameter messaging. I have set and tested the IP address, and all is good. I hate to take up any more of your time, so I will just wait til the manual hit the store shelves. I might try to toy around with some of the OSC stuff. If I screw anything up I can just initialize the X32 back to factory. I should stop when the console starts to smoke, Right? Again , Thanks for you insight.

James

Kevin, Thank you. I have gotten your program up and functional, but I was stumped when it came to the parameter messaging. I have set and tested the IP address, and all is good. I hate to take up any more of your time, so I will just wait til the manual hit the store shelves. I might try to toy around with some of the OSC stuff. If I screw anything up I can just initialize the X32 back to factory. I should stop when the console starts to smoke, Right? Again , Thanks for you insight.

James

Hi James,

I will give you an example too get you started.

download the OSC manual from the behringer site

go to page 10

just above half way down you will find a line that starts "/ch/[01..32]/mix/fader"
this address controls the fader position.

so enter your x32 IP address into the scene manager app. Then press the test button. Then go to the OSC page and type

/ch/01/mix/fader. Into the address box.

then type any number between 0 and 1024 into the parameter 1 box and tick the int box.

now press the send command button and your fader on the x32 will move to the appropriate position. 0 = -oo and 1024 = 10dB.

you cannot do any damage , so have fun. To reset the console just initialise it in the setup page.

Kev

OK,
I'm standing in the tub and I'm about to turn on the power. Is there anything I should know before hand? Just kidding!
I will give it a go.
Thanks Again.

James

Evening Kevin,

I seem to be having problems connecting to the X32. I enter the IP address into your scene manager, and select the test tab, and nothing happens. I go and reenter the IP address and it has defaulted back to an incomplete IP address. So I repeat the process, with the same results. Do I need to have Xcontrol running in the background, because it will connect just fine. Everywhere I am asked to enter an IP address, I do, then test the connection. I have loaded scenes saved on my PC into your scene manager, but I can't finagle any response from the console. Do I need to have the remote button on the console lit? Do I need to have the IP addresses the same, except for the last block of digits? Scratching my head here.
This isn't something that I need to have working right now, so take your time and do what you need to do, and get back to me when you can.

Thanks again,

James

Sorry to hear you are having problems , lets see if I can help solve it :)

I will explain what is supposed to happen and maybe from that we can find the problem.

So lets start at the beginning . Firstly you PC must be connected to the same network as your X32 before you run the Scene Manager application.

When you start the application it automatically detects your PC's IP address and displays it in the bottom left hand corner of the screen . (see this screenshot)

ip1.JPG

You then press the Set X32 IP Address button and it displays a text box with the first three blocks of the IP address auto populated to save you typing it in (see this screenshot)
ip2.JPG

You then press the Test Connection button and you should get a pop up saying the test passed and it then displays the X32 ip address and X32 details along the bottom of the screen as you see in this screenshot.

ip3.JPG

So, if this isnt working heres a few things to try

confirm that the IP address being detected by the software is the same as your PC (if you open a command window in Windows and type IPCONFIG /ALL it will display your IP address.
Make sure the first three sets of numbers for the PC and X32 match.

In my case the PC is 192.168.11.2 and the X32 is 192.168.11.5

Does Xcontrol work OK ? What operating system are you using ?

You can also look at this thread http://soundforums.net/junior-varsity/6245-x32-xcontrol-routers-wifi.html for more detailed diagnostics.

Let me know how you get on in case this is a software problem :(

Kev

Hey there Kevin,
First, I am using Windows 7, and Xcontrol does work.
I have the X32 connected directly to the computer via an ethernet cable, no WIFI. My PC does connect to the outside world via WIFI, but not the console
In Xcontrol, the IP address shown for the computer is two, 192.168.1.101 and 169.254.247.68
The X32's IP is 169.254.189.27 and it connects to the PC just fine. I don't have a subnet or gateway set on the X32, because it isn't hitting a router. Do I need to add something on the X32?

Second, the IP that registers for my computer in Scene Manager is 169.254.247.68. I have opened network connections on the PC to look for data transfer in the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION, and when I press the test button, I see data flowing, but it doesn't connect. The address prompt in Scene Manager always starts with 169.254.247, no last digits, so I retype the address of the X32, 169.254.189.27, press TEST and..............

I looked in the IPCONFIG/ALL, just to see if there would anything there, and here is what I found. Now, DO NOT waste your time with me on my trivial matters. I have a friend that is an IT GURU. He can help me with this, but below is the screenshot of my PC IP.

Thanks Again, Please, please,,,,,a mind is a terrible thing to waste, so don't waste yours on me. I will get someday!

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\James David Herrick>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JamesHerrick
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoWould these have something to do with my non connectivity?
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.md.comcast.net.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.md.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 94-39-E5-85-B5-C3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e4ba:f42b:efae:f873%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 04, 2013 8:37:21 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:37:21 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 227817957
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-2E-36-C6-18-03-73-B6-6E-B7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-03-73-B6-6E-B7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::18a3:8917:83fe:bd1b%11(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.247.68(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 236454771
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-2E-36-C6-18-03-73-B6-6E-B7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.md.comcast.net.:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.md.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:c87:ed4e:b38d:68bf(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c87:ed4e:b38d:68bf%16(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{37C3B7C4-DDD5-49EB-AE74-1012841F364A}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

C:\Users\James David Herrick>

Last edited:

Yeah, I definitely think that the problem is with me and my computer. I can make it work, but I do not claim to know how it works. There must be some sort of incorrect setting in the network configuration. My computer guy is in Florida looking at his new house, and won't be home until next week. I will have him dig into this then. By the way, what would be the best OS for use with OSC. XP?, Windows 8? I would hate to have to upgrade my entire system that works right now with every installed programs and devices, just to get one program to work. My whole objective is to possibly find a way to have the console work hand in hand with my recording software, but I'm not intuitive enough to know if there is any feasible way to achieve this. I was hoping that Kevin had a magic trick up his sleeve with his Scene Manager, that would help me write the correct parameters into his software, to make my console and software work together, and maybe he does. I am not a programmer, and don't know the language well enough to step in and figure it out by myself. I have been reading as much as I can about OSC, to try and get familiar with it, but I am in over my head.
So, once I can get the computer and the console to see each other and talk back and forth, that will be a great starting point. But until then, I will just keep on slugging through the recording process the way I have been since I purchased the console. There may never be an answer to my problem, too many variables to make it work the way I would love for it to work, but I just gotta aim high.
Thanks to everyone for the insight and input. Kevin, I will keep a keen eye out for any progress updates with Scene Manager. Again, Thank you very much.

James

Hi James,

theres nothing strange that I can see in the details you sent :( but I'm not a network guru either

there is one thing however that I would try and that is change the IP address of your x32 to be on the same subnet as your pc . Eg try 169.254.247.69

there was a problem with the osc libraries and win xp and these are now corrected and infact this application was developed on a win xp machine, its been tested on win7 as well with no issues and I don't have access to win 8 so I can't test it :(

kev

Yeah, I tried that, it was a no go. I even tried changing the ip with xcontrol, and it connected. I even turned off the wireless connection on the computer that goes to the router, so the only devise visible would be the console, and connect directly through the ethernet cable. Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got it working.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was being blocked by the firewall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just tested the program and ALL IS *$(%ing Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, on another note. I saw something you posted on the X32net site about the LCD EQ. You had mentioned about using MIDI. My Axiom 61 can control the DAW with a preset that Cakewalk has installed with the program, but I have yet to get the faders to work correctly with the Behringer. The last firmware stated that there was a fix for Sonar, but I have yet to figure out what it was. If I open the midi mapper to see what the control surface of the Console is doing, could I .................I have no idea where I am going with this. Let me sleep in it and get back to you. I need to find the parameter guide for Sonar and see if there is anything there that I can put into use.
Well tomorrow, I need to go to hair doctor to see if he can implant the piles of gray lying on the floor here, that I have been pulling out!

Again MUCH THANKS. I will play with this in depth, and see if I can come up with something. Thank you Thank you Thank you

James

It was being blocked by the firewall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kevin,

I had the same problem ( windows 8) strange thing is that whereas the Xcontrol will work with allowing it to pass through the private network firewall - for scene manager permission is required to allow it to pass through the public network firewall !

Nick

Hi Kevin,

I had the same problem ( windows 8) strange thing is that whereas the Xcontrol will work with allowing it to pass through the private network firewall - for scene manager permission is required to allow it to pass through the public network firewall !

Nick

Thanks Nick , good to know .

I notice that you mention you are using win 8 , I dont have access to any windows 8 machines so I haven't been able to test the scene manager on it. Is it working OK ?

Thanks
Kev

Latest update on progress.

Thanks to all the people who were kind enough to donate scene files for testing I have finished testing the scene upload routine and it appears to be working fine.

I have now started working on the user interface and the screen shot below shows hows its looking so far .

latest.JPG

On the left of the screen it displays your hard drive filtered to only show scene files, you can then drag and drop them where ever you want on the show list on the right hand side. It can handle as many scenes as you want , and allows you to load and save shows.

Once scenes are the show list you can drag and drop them to reorder them and also create sub groups of scenes so that you can drag groups of scenes if you want to.

Hopefully I should be releasing this within the next week :D~:-D~:grin:

Kev

Good Evening Kevin,

First of all, the new user interfacing looks great. Can't wait to play with it. Now................

I have a question about clocking. Don't know if would apply here, but here it goes. I think that I am barking up the wrong tree.

Behringer has previously stated that the X-UF synchronization has been unstable, and can not be used for clocking, even though the driver control panel for the console has it listed as MASTER. On the setup page of the console, under "Config", I can not set the SYNCHRO" for the X-UF, just "LOCAL". So, my understanding is that the Master is the console and not the card, and it will not see the time signature of external clocks.
So if I wanted an OSC parameter, such as for a fader to follow the written volume envelope of a track in the DAW, the clocking would need to come from the DAW source. I am trying to have the console actually see the time code, not really the clocking???? So it really isn't possible to write a parameter for time code???? I didn't see anything listed in the OSC guide from Behringer, but I was told it was incomplete anyway. I don't know if you have any insight about this, or not.

Maybe this would be a question for the MUSIC GROUPS guys. I can set the coffee pot to start any time of day, yet I can't get a channel fader to follow a track fader. Ya know, I think it's just me! I should just set this console aside for live stuff and go buy a real recording console.

Enough of my yacking, you have bettter things to do.

Thanks,

James

Thanks Nick , good to know .

I notice that you mention you are using win 8 , I dont have access to any windows 8 machines so I haven't been able to test the scene manager on it. Is it working OK ?

Thanks
Kev

yes - seems to be ok - though have only played with the tester for a short time up to now.
A quick question - are you sending osc on a fixed port - is it 1024 as with the earlier version of the tester?
Another - interested to get the x32 to stream parm changes via osc rather than using get. The only osc command I can see for this is /xcontrol but cannot get this to work via the tester.
Sorry re any typos - sent from my phone!

yes - seems to be ok - though have only played with the tester for a short time up to now.
A quick question - are you sending osc on a fixed port - is it 1024 as with the earlier version of the tester?
Another - interested to get the x32 to stream parm changes via osc rather than using get. The only osc command I can see for this is /xcontrol but cannot get this to work via the tester.
Sorry re any typos - sent from my phone!

Hi Nick, that's good news that it works ok with win 8 .

Yes I'm using a fixed port of 1024 but it would be easy to change that to a user defined port.

Once I've finished the scene management update I will look at streaming changes in the tester , I've used /xicontrol in the tester before and it worked but you have to send the command every couple of seconds otherwise the x32 stops sending responses (by design)

Kev

Good Evening Kevin,

First of all, the new user interfacing looks great. Can't wait to play with it. Now................

I have a question about clocking. Don't know if would apply here, but here it goes. I think that I am barking up the wrong tree.

Behringer has previously stated that the X-UF synchronization has been unstable, and can not be used for clocking, even though the driver control panel for the console has it listed as MASTER. On the setup page of the console, under "Config", I can not set the SYNCHRO" for the X-UF, just "LOCAL". So, my understanding is that the Master is the console and not the card, and it will not see the time signature of external clocks.
So if I wanted an OSC parameter, such as for a fader to follow the written volume envelope of a track in the DAW, the clocking would need to come from the DAW source. I am trying to have the console actually see the time code, not really the clocking???? So it really isn't possible to write a parameter for time code???? I didn't see anything listed in the OSC guide from Behringer, but I was told it was incomplete anyway. I don't know if you have any insight about this, or not.

Maybe this would be a question for the MUSIC GROUPS guys. I can set the coffee pot to start any time of day, yet I can't get a channel fader to follow a track fader. Ya know, I think it's just me! I should just set this console aside for live stuff and go buy a real recording console.

Enough of my yacking, you have bettter things to do.

Thanks,

James

Hi James , this is not an area I have any experience in as I don't even have a DAW :(

When I've got my feet clear from some other stuff I will have a look and see what I can do :)

Kev