Secondary kick mic ....

Re: Secondary kick mic ....

So what's your suggestion and how do you use it?

It totally depends on the drum, and what I am going for.

Some combinations I have used in the past couple years (though keep in mind I do a lot of recording so not all of these are ideal for SR):

D6 in, PR40 out
D6 in, Subkick out
D6 in, AT3525 condenser out
D6 in, X1 condenser out
D6 in, RE20 out
PR40 in, D6 out
PR40 in, Royer 121 out
PR40 in, SM57 beater side out
Beta91 in, B52 out
Beta91 in, D6 out
Beta91 in, Subkick out

I don't have any great magic formula, I usually just listen to the drum, and think about what I am going for, then pick a combo that I think will get me there. The D6 is usually involved most of the time for pop/rock/country styles.

I'm a little late to the party and am not responding to anyone in particular.

I own these kick mics:
  • D6 - sounds great on just about everything, kicks with and without holes in the resonant heads. Can get a nice jazz sound, rock sound, or metal sound depending on EQ.
  • e901 - a hit or miss mic, but when it's good, it's AMAZING. Requires varying amounts of EQ to sound like I want, and generally it's more drastic EQ than the D6. Some kick drums just don't work with it.
  • e902 - kind of like a D6, but not quite there. Seems to be good on bass cabs and on kick drums if I have to. I sometimes use it with the e901 to get a thump/click combo.
  • SM91 - only own it becuase it's on riders. Works ok.

Mics I used to own:
  • D112 - sounds like someone slapping the drum head with an open hand. Not cool unless you're a metalhead.
  • Beta52A - sounds OK for jazz kick sounds and on bass rigs, I just hated it because it takes up so much space so I sold it

My first choice these days is the e901, and if it doesn't work out, then the D6. I have a pile of D6s and they get used on floor toms, bass rigs, etc.

Just the other week there was a drummer with no hole in the resonant head, so I stuck the e901 on the beater side kind of under the snare aiming at where the beater hit. It sounded great.

Well I bought a D6, and hated it. Too woofy in the wrong freq, no real definition, and the diaphram breaks if there is too much spl .... great design criteria for a kick drum right there. Phenominal on guitars when it fits the mix or have a wierd muddy guitar player.

I've never heard that complaint before. Always worked great for me through good and even "ok" PA systems. I got my first D6 when it was accidentally drop shipped to me before it was announced by Audix after I had ordered an additional D4. So far, I haven't seen a need to switch to a different "kick - out" mic. Always good solid punch with plenty of low-lows and decent click when needed. I usually supplement it with a Beta 91/91A, but it also works fine on it's own.