Si Expression

Re: Si Expression

Corrected. Sorry about that, I have a DBA for both. In the interest of discussing the Expression 3, I'd rather change it then be a PITA! :p

Last edited:

Well after reading this thread, its appears I am the lucky one with a perfect running Si expression 3, this was not the case when i first received the console, it froze and bogged down numerous times. After reformatting my sd card and updating the console to the newest update (which took about 10 times ), ive been golden. Ive run 3 shows with no problems. I have been saving scenes, saving to my sd card and saving to the internal sd card with no problems (save times are about 10 seconds ). I have been using up to 24 inputs and 11 outputs with the my router plugged in and running the visi app at the same time. Its been great.

My first 'real' show with mine will be in a week - 1,200 person outdoor show in Providence. I will most defiantly have a backup console, but hoping for the best. One of the drivers for the move to the Expression was to meet the requirements for 5-6 foldback mixes where my previous digital or analog setup could only support 4 while still have EFX sends. I'll report back how it works out. When you say it 'took 10 times' did you mean it took 10 tries to successfully update the firmware?

What I found odd when I had my SD card issue, was when I hit 'format SD card' it displayed "proceeding/processing" or such on the 3rd line of the display, but I do not think it ever formatted properly. After I reseated/retaped the card in place, when I went back to did the format SD card in the console, the text wasn't displayed, just a black line though where the text was previously. I'm able to reproduce this, and it appears to be correctly formatting it.

I've had the Expression 3, "1.04 build" for three weeks now and I am impressed! couple of issues with the app that needs some ironing out, thats expected with how fast they pumped these puppies out, I did hear of a bad batch of SD cards in some of the boards out there depending on the serial # ... hoping for some online editing from the editor software, Ive used the board twice now and will probably use a lexicon MX 400 with it this weekend... it does seem the tap tempo buttons are a lil cranky if you dont get the tempo right the first time but if I wait a couple seconds and re-tap it works fine... Now if that darn case from Calazone I ordered would just get here...

Nice to find a thread for the Expression !

Last edited:
After 2 lockups last weekend during a service while using the cue sets, I upgraded to V-1 build 6 on Friday. I had a very great service this morning without any lockups and very smooth operation. Everything is saving to the SD Card and USB drives. I was also unable to do that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 2

So I can't seem to find it in the manual or on the web. How do you set up the side chain for the gate on the si expression? Is it actually a side chain, or simply a key in filter? I can't seem to figure out a way to setup a side chained channel in the virtual si compact either.

I now have an Expression 2, apparently less trouble than the "3". Has any one used the i Pad control yet It is not quite as ‘straightforward’ as originally thought. The Si Expression has a network port on the back which must be connected to a Wi-Fi router. The desk and ViSi iPad App must then be configured to talk to one another. To my surprise, the desk does not have inbuilt W-Fi server capabilities, it will not work without connecting a separate router. Typical cost of a good router is about £70.00 (sterling). This would have to be connected on-site at each gig – not a drama but an inconvenience. Once the initial set-up between Router, Si and iPad has been correctly achieved, I would expect this to store for subsequent use , so it should be plug in and go in theory at least

I now have an Expression 2, apparently less trouble than the "3". Has any one used the i Pad control yetIt is not quite as ‘straightforward’ as originally thought.
Oh really? I thought it was pretty simple... as far as network equipment goes.

The Si Expression has a network port on the back which must be connected to a Wi-Fi router.
I would consider this normal.

The desk and ViSi iPad App must then be configured to talk to one another.
This amounts to basically allowing the iPad and board to find one another on the network (assuming each received DHCP addresses from the WiFi router) and selecting the desk you want to communicate with. Not that big of a deal.

To my surprise, the desk does not have inbuilt W-Fi server capabilities, it will not work without connecting a separate router.
I would not consider it normal for any mixing console to have a built in WiFi. Network standards for wireless transmissions change surprisingly often. Yet Ethernet networking has been with us for a LONG time. This allows you to update to the latest version of network hardware without having to replace your whole mixing console. I would consider this to be a bonus!

Typical cost of a good router is about £70.00 (sterling). This would have to be connected on-site at each gig – not a drama but an inconvenience.
I generally carry my own router with me and I expect to do this kind of thing, ergo it is not that big of a deal.

Once the initial set-up between Router, Si and iPad has been correctly achieved, I would expect this to store for subsequent use , so it should be plug in and go in theory at least
It does seem to automatically re-discover the mixer after you allow the iPad to go to sleep, so you may need to re-sync with the board to get all the channel labels to come up correctly each time. It does not seem to "store" any information to speak of.

The bigger issue with this system is that you only have access to fader levels. You can NOT get to the channel EQ, dynamics, etc from the iPad. I find this to be completely unacceptable. Thankfully I was just using it for a basic talking head gig with a couple inputs and a handful of outputs. I would not be happy using this thing in a proper band situation.

Oh really? I thought it was pretty simple... as far as network equipment goes.

I would consider this normal.

This amounts to basically allowing the iPad and board to find one another on the network (assuming each received DHCP addresses from the WiFi router) and selecting the desk you want to communicate with. Not that big of a deal.

I would not consider it normal for any mixing console to have a built in WiFi. Network standards for wireless transmissions change surprisingly often. Yet Ethernet networking has been with us for a LONG time. This allows you to update to the latest version of network hardware without having to replace your whole mixing console. I would consider this to be a bonus!

I generally carry my own router with me and I expect to do this kind of thing, ergo it is not that big of a deal.

It does seem to automatically re-discover the mixer after you allow the iPad to go to sleep, so you may need to re-sync with the board to get all the channel labels to come up correctly each time. It does not seem to "store" any information to speak of.

The bigger issue with this system is that you only have access to fader levels. You can NOT get to the channel EQ, dynamics, etc from the iPad. I find this to be completely unacceptable. Thankfully I was just using it for a basic talking head gig with a couple inputs and a handful of outputs. I would not be happy using this thing in a proper band situation.

I/we are not.

Geri O

I'm kind of impressed that Soundcraft managed to take the Si Compact that they've had for several years, slash the price by 2/3, replace it with a "new" that is virtually identical to it except for a few bells and whistles that could virtually have been a software update on the Si Compact............. and then release buggy software when the virtually identical Si Compact software has been completely stable for 2 years. Kind crazy they were able to mess up a such a small upgrade. Perhaps they used a new chip or something that required significant changes under the hood, but if they did you'd think they could have come up with some better additional features!

I'm kind of impressed that Soundcraft managed to take the Si Compact that they've had for several years, slash the price by 2/3, replace it with a "new" that is virtually identical to it except for a few bells and whistles that could virtually have been a software update on the Si Compact............. and then release buggy software when the virtually identical Si Compact software has been completely stable for 2 years. Kind crazy they were able to mess up a such a small upgrade. Perhaps they used a new chip or something that required significant changes under the hood, but if they did you'd think they could have come up with some better additional features!

Most people appear to be letting them off the hook since the latest firmware appears (by all reports) to be stable. Still, I tend to agree that it is not like Soundcraft to release something that isn't ready for prime time.

IMHO, the Allen & Heath Qu-16 will be pretty tough competition for the 16 channel Soundcraft Si. The integrated recording in the A & H is a real winner to many people.

So unfortunately, in the last few days i have had 3 lock ups, running version 1.6, this is ridiculous now, i was doing great when i went to 1.4 and never had any problems. I cant believe soundcraft put this product out this way, highly considering selling it if a new update doesn't appear soon.

And to think i gave it such a great review in the interview Harmon did with me.

So unfortunately, in the last few days i have had 3 lock ups, running version 1.6, this is ridiculous now, i was doing great when i went to 1.4 and never had any problems. I cant believe soundcraft put this product out this way, highly considering selling it if a new update doesn't appear soon.

And to think i gave it such a great review in the interview Harmon did with me.

One "Aww shit" erases 100 "ad-a-boy's" ;)

Hopefully Soundcraft cleans this up for you quickly.

For those of you using visi with your expressions... I need help
Just put together an IEM rig with the expression at the heart.
I bought an Airport express thinking it would be about as plug and play as you can get.
I can't get the router and the console to talk to save my life. What I am worried about is
a bad HiQnet connection in the console somewhere. I don't get either led on at the Ethernet port.
Do any of you get a light when the cable is connected, but before the router is configured properly?
That is my understanding of what should happen from the (extremely vague) manual.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, I fixed it. I ended up opening it up to look for loose connections. Lo, and behold, the internal cat-5 cable was never fully connected. I gave it an extra push then I heard the click and all was right with the world. I feel a lot better knowing that I was not the incompetent one, but worse about what other connections might be about to fail. Serious QC tsk, tsk.