Slow loading of home page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Slow loading of home page

Is it just me? It seems that the main page http://www.soundforums.net/content/?t=i&threadid=i seems to take a looooong time to load up! I'm on a 25 meg connection here, and other websites I frequent are very quick to load up! Once the main page loads up, any further navigation in the forums seems to move along just fine without any delays.

Are you still noticing any issues loading the home page?

The issues were related to a vB database query where our mySQL server would freeze up for a while every time it ran. Once the process finally finished/timed out, the home page would load.

I don't think this is the same problem that the OP was having, but I noticed that the images on the front page are being scaled by the browser. Usually I don't notice because I'm on fast internet connections, but it may be a problem for slower connections. I think having two versions of the image, one thumbnail and one full size when clicked, will help the front page load faster and help with server bandwidth. There's also a good chance there is a vBulletin plugin or option that would generate the thumbnails on the server and serve up the cached scaled version when a thumbnail is needed and the full size image when the thumbnail is clicked. Just a suggestion.

I don't think this is the same problem that the OP was having, but I noticed that the images on the front page are being scaled by the browser. Usually I don't notice because I'm on fast internet connections, but it may be a problem for slower connections. I think having two versions of the image, one thumbnail and one full size when clicked, will help the front page load faster and help with server bandwidth. There's also a good chance there is a vBulletin plugin or option that would generate the thumbnails on the server and serve up the cached scaled version when a thumbnail is needed and the full size image when the thumbnail is clicked. Just a suggestion.

Good point, I've never paid much attention to that. I'll look into it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.