slowness of the X32 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim McCulloch

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Wichita KS USA
I've noticed that the servers take a loooooooong time to render the X32 Discussion thread in the Jr Varsity forum. Is vBulletin sufficiently robust to handle this (over 625 replies) extended topic?

The rest of the site loads comparatively fast.

Re: slowness of the X32 thread

I've noticed that the servers take a loooooooong time to render the X32 Discussion thread in the Jr Varsity forum. Is vBulletin sufficiently robust to handle this (over 625 replies) extended topic?

The rest of the site loads comparatively fast.

I don't notice the speed difference. I'm not on a great internet connection at home, but I ran a check of the X32 thread and some others on Pingdom. They all came in with similar load times.

The X32 thread pages are larger in size than a lot of others on SFN though. A lot of the posts in the thread have larger images inserted inline. So on a slower connection, you might notice a delay from those.

It'll be a long time before we need to worry about our servers failing to deal with the demand! I'm not sure that it will ever be a problem with our rig right now. (Thanks Jeff/Phil!) So far it seems like vBulletin is the best option for Forum software. By default, not all of the posts are loaded at once (depending on your personal settings). They'll be split up into pages, and the posts that aren't displayed won't be pulled from the database.

The only thing I notice is a few extra redirects... I don't know if we keep page load times, or have some way to display them.

David?

Most browsers have debug tools to display page load times and other useful information. If they're not built-in, there's probably an add-on for that.

Here's a screenshot from Pingdom of load times / sizes of this thread and the X32 thread's first page:
Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 11.18.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 11.17.52 PM.png

And here's some more detailed information on the X32 thread's first page:
Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 11.19.28 PM.png

David, it took 17 seconds to load the X32 thread with a fresh browser (Firefox 14.0.1), but about 1 second to display this thread in tech support forum. I experience similar delays fully loading the X32 page with Opera Mini on my Android phone.

Oh well, not the end of the world but 'tis a curiosity.

Or close it and rename it "pre-release x32 discussion" and then start new threads with post release info.

That way the historical reference is still around without slowing down the server too much.

Fwiw, I haven't noticed any delay.

takes less than 2 seconds for me.
certainly not long enough that I notce a difference between it and other threads.

Jason

David, it took 17 seconds to load the X32 thread with a fresh browser (Firefox 14.0.1), but about 1 second to display this thread in tech support forum. I experience similar delays fully loading the X32 page with Opera Mini on my Android phone.

Oh well, not the end of the world but 'tis a curiosity.

Well, I'm with you! I hadn't looked at that thread in a while, until I saw this thread.

XP Pro running Firefox 14.0.1. I haven't timed it, but it takes significantly longer to load than other threads.

Maybe it's because we're in the center of the country! Or could it be the heat? :cool:

Well, I'm with you! I hadn't looked at that thread in a while, until I saw this thread.

XP Pro running Firefox 14.0.1. I haven't timed it, but it takes significantly longer to load than other threads.

Maybe it's because we're in the center of the country! Or could it be the heat? :cool:

Tim, Thomas,

The page in the thread I ran testing on was about 3x the size of this thread because of all the pictures in it. As a result, it will definitely take longer to load on a slower connection. On the connection I'm using right now, I can't notice a difference, but it could be measured. (Comes out to be less than a second)

There's not much we could do there. We could require all pictures in posts to be thumbnails to keep that size down, but I think the best bet is to leave it how it is.

I'm not loading any slower on that thread either. The one shortcoming of the forum software that becomes glaringly annoying in hybrid view mode is that the thread tree doesn't park on the post you're actively viewing. This forces you to have to start from the top of the tree and then scroll down to find new/unread branches.

I'm not loading any slower on that thread either. The one shortcoming of the forum software that becomes glaringly annoying in hybrid view mode is that the thread tree doesn't park on the post you're actively viewing. This forces you to have to start from the top of the tree and then scroll down to find new/unread branches.

I'll make a feature request with vBulletin for that. Hopefully it'll make it to a later release!

Don't know if this is related but the OP from Eric Hill on his BOB X-32 was missing to me for most of the day. It only showed up as a quote in a reply. I searched around to find the original post and could not find it. Just now when I checked the forums again I noticed it was visable. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.