So, what are some warning signs that a stage may be unsafe?

Re: So, what are some warning signs that a stage may be unsafe?

Not up to Code for outdoor use, where Code requires "Extra-hard service rated" cabling. The "J" is SJT stands for "Junior hard service." Indoors you can use it, outdoors you can't.
You didn't quote so I'm not sure who you're answering. If me, are you saying that no SJT IEC cord is legal outdoors? What are you supposed to use instead?

You didn't quote so I'm not sure who you're answering. If me, are you saying that no SJT IEC cord is legal outdoors? What are you supposed to use instead?

IEC cords are covered elsewhere as they supply power to a connected device. Junior hard service cords are not permitted outdoors when used as service cords, extension cords' stage drops, etc.

IEC cords are covered elsewhere as they supply power to a connected device. Junior hard service cords are not permitted outdoors when used as service cords, extension cords' stage drops, etc.
So, again - are my 25' 14 gauge SJT IEC cords legal or not? How about if they were even longer?

So, again - are my 25' 14 gauge SJT IEC cords legal or not? How about if they were even longer?

If it's the cord that is connected to the device and it doesn't run on the ground or in trafficked areas, yes, they're permitted. If the cord has to run on the ground you need to run a properly rated cable to the device, coil up the IEC and then plug it into the rated cable. You'd probably get away with it on stage (powered monitors), but not for powered speakers on sticks IF the IEC cord was run on the ground.

The Code deals with the way something is used as well as what it is.... but in most situations an inspector will probably find other violations before he/she complains about your scenario. Remember, though, that SJT will fail sooner than extra-hard service cords due to abrasion, UV, oil, water and other things cables are exposed to outdoors and that if the failure of the outer jacket exposes the conductors the cord MUST be replaced. Also, any failure of the SJT cable that results in injury or property damage will up the liability finger-pointing.

In any case, Ron, you should consult your local Authority Having Jurisdiction as they may have a different local interpretation of the Code or the locale may have adopted more/less stringent local Code.

[...] you should consult your local Authority Having Jurisdiction [...]
That'd get you blackballed around here at my level. "C" (and below) level rooms just love having that kind of attention drawn to them. It's not unusual to see portable cord (even zip cord) permanently run and even stapled down. I guess I'll go back to "don't ask, don't tell". ;)

And yes, any jacket damaged, tape wrapped power cords I may (or may not ;)) have stay home.

Last edited: