Soundcraft SI Expression

Re: Soundcraft SI Expression

Yes Pre-Fader is post eq,mute, it can also be configured anywhere you need on each channel... sounds like you got it going on !
Cool, thanks.

Has anyone done much recording with these? MADI seems powerful, but the MADI cards for PCs are insanely expensive - hard to justify spending as much for a card for a laptop as the laptop costs.

I've heard rumors that the console could be hacked so that more than one module could be used at a time. Any truth to this?

it seems i m entering very late in this discussion, as i bought a Si Expression3 on new year. Its kinda stupid question. if i buy mini stagebox 16 for my si exp3, so then m i able to use 48 mics simultaneously or is it just a stagebox for distances between stage and FOH console? ......and which option card should i go for? :?~:-?~:???:

The mini stageboxes come with the MADI card required to use them. The Expression 3 can process 66 inputs so you would be able to use all 48 without a problem.

Probably would want to go with the CAT 5 card... Fiber optic cable more expensive... Stage box will add additional mic pre's to what you have already available on expression... In your case a total of 48 ;)

I have Cat 5 and it seems more robust than the optical cable. Also every input and output is assignable. So you have 48 mic pre's and 32 routable outputs, not including AES.

I have Cat 5 and it seems more robust than the optical cable. Also every input and output is assignable. So you have 48 mic pre's and 32 routable outputs, not including AES.

Tactical fibre is much more stout than regular CAT5e until you get to connectors & termination.

I've run miles of TAC12 optical as a video utility hand.. I've seen it run over with hand trucks, fork lifts, etc. Several years ago a manufacturer ran fibre across an open road case, close the lid and had guys jump on the top, all while the fibre continued to pass video and audio.

Tactical fibre is much more stout than regular CAT5e until you get to connectors & termination.

I've run miles of TAC12 optical as a video utility hand.. I've seen it run over with hand trucks, fork lifts, etc. Several years ago a manufacturer ran fibre across an open road case, close the lid and had guys jump on the top, all while the fibre continued to pass video and audio.

Tough stuff. What about the termination? Are you saying the fiber termination is less robust than an RJ45?

Soundcraft Si Expression and multi-track recording just don't seem to be a great way to go. Soundcraft didn't really make this mixer a particularly attractive package for that purpose (as compared to the other offerings in its price range).

Is anyone doing this? I have heard about getting the MADI cards to accomplish this, but I am not sure I have ever heard anyone who is actually doing it.

Tough stuff. What about the termination? Are you saying the fiber termination is less robust than an RJ45?

Termination is the weakest point, and if you damage a fibre at the connector you need special training, tools and clean work environment to reterminate it. That said, if you treat the ends of the run like your gig depends on them, you'll probably not have any trouble. I asked the guys from Game Creek Video (ESPN contractor) how often they have to repair TAC12 and was told "only when the video utility guys fuck it up." IOW it takes some stupidity (pulling the cable while ends drag on the ground or around bleachers & seating) to do damage. Game Creek has some rubber boots that go over the fan out & terminations and keep the fibre connectors from catching on stuff.

They're really fairly robust, you just can't be a ham-fisted nitwit. It's not 'volunteer-friendly' but that's about it.

Probably would want to go with the CAT 5 card... Fiber optic cable more expensive... Stage box will add additional mic pre's to what you have already available on expression... In your case a total of 48 ;)

The mini stagebox is only cat5 MADI, and comes with the card. No thinking or choice required.

EDIT - I wanted to be sure on this, and after doing some research, it appears that there is an optical option for the mini stagebox. However, I can't find a SKU from Harman for it - they only list one SKU for the cat5 version. Not sure if they decided not to build the optical option, or what. I will investigate.

The compact stagebox can be cat5 or optical, and does not include the MADI card.

I have Milspec cat5 and I guarantee it's just as durable as Milspec fiber. After all, it probably conforms to a similar spec.

Last edited:

The price has come down a good bit on these as well! The price of my expression 3 was $2999 and 15% off at at guitar center sale made it $2550! Excellent deal on this board in my opinion!

Hola Todos quiero hacerles la siguiente consulta. Hoy me encontraba utilizando la consola soundcraft si expression 3 y en la mitad de show comenzó a generar un ruido similar al pink noise, puse en mute todas las entradas de linea y el ruido seguía tuve que apagar la mesa para que dejara de hacerlo. Si a alguno le paso o si saben que es les ruego me comenten gracias a todos.-

Soundcraft SI Expression

i bought a si expression 3 with aviom card on all ok except 1 think, only the master vu meter shows lvl up to -12 dbu from - 12 to 0 dbu nothink , rest vu meters works fine , does anyone have same think ?

Mateusz Ciesiółka;47599 said:
Is there any different between Si Expression and Si Performer? They look identical (except housing color).

I installed an Si Expression 1 in a convention hall kind of thing last year and have used it for maybe a dozen gigs ranging from a couple mics for speech up to an average rock band and I like it a lot. For a small input list its fine but once you have to start using layers its easy to get lost bc it doesnt have scribble strips. The iPad app drove me nuts at first bc all it supported at the time was faders - no dynamics, eq, etc. They have fixed that with recent upgrades.
I just bought a Performer 3 and a Performer 1 for my own gigs and I can say there are a lot of differences. The build quality feels much better on the performer - the faders and knobs just feel better. Aside from that the Performer has scribble strips, VCAs, Mute Groups, full 4 band parametric on each input and output (the expression only has 2 band parametric with lo & hi shelf). The Performer is definitely a higher end console all the way around.

I installed an Si Expression 1 in a convention hall kind of thing last year and have used it for maybe a dozen gigs ranging from a couple mics for speech up to an average rock band and I like it a lot. For a small input list its fine but once you have to start using layers its easy to get lost bc it doesnt have scribble strips. The iPad app drove me nuts at first bc all it supported at the time was faders - no dynamics, eq, etc. They have fixed that with recent upgrades.
I just bought a Performer 3 and a Performer 1 for my own gigs and I can say there are a lot of differences. The build quality feels much better on the performer - the faders and knobs just feel better. Aside from that the Performer has scribble strips, VCAs, Mute Groups, full 4 band parametric on each input and output (the expression only has 2 band parametric with lo & hi shelf). The Performer is definitely a higher end console all the way around.

I went to Sweetwater in Indiana last week to check out the Expression and Performer desks in person and you are so right! The difference in quality is nite and day. The Expression faders and knobs feel like a cheap Alesis mixer or something. So glad I actually was able to put my hands on them before making a purchase!! I'm sure the Expression does a good job but the Performer makes it look like a toy.

I just bought the Expression 2 and I really like it. Simple layout and very simple operation which is perfect for all the novice operators at church.

Just a few gripes...
1) ALL the fader knobs are loose, apparently by design. If I was to turn the console over - not that anyone would - they would almost fall off. And any pressure on the upper or lower part causes them to tip and lift off.
2) It's a little ambiguous how long the soft power button needs to be pressed to turn the console on. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Once I held it down for too long and the console dropped into firmware upgrade mode.
3) Only stereo inputs - TRS 1/2, 3/4, and effects returns - can be assigned to a single input fader. All other stereo stuff is done by linking a pair of channels, which wastes a fader. Soundcraft, if you allow it for TRS inputs, why do you prevent linking two XLR inputs and assigning them to one fader? And furthermore, why can XLR inputs only be linked 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 etc... Why not allow arbitrary adjacent linking including 2/3, 4/5, 6/7 ...? These days with DSP, this shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

I just bought the Expression 2 and I really like it. Simple layout and very simple operation which is perfect for all the novice operators at church.

Just a few gripes...
1) ALL the fader knobs are loose, apparently by design. If I was to turn the console over - not that anyone would - they would almost fall off. And any pressure on the upper or lower part causes them to tip and lift off.
2) It's a little ambiguous how long the soft power button needs to be pressed to turn the console on. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Once I held it down for too long and the console dropped into firmware upgrade mode.
3) Only stereo inputs - TRS 1/2, 3/4, and effects returns - can be assigned to a single input fader. All other stereo stuff is done by linking a pair of channels, which wastes a fader. Soundcraft, if you allow it for TRS inputs, why do you prevent linking two XLR inputs and assigning them to one fader? And furthermore, why can XLR inputs only be linked 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 etc... Why not allow arbitrary adjacent linking including 2/3, 4/5, 6/7 ...? These days with DSP, this shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Michael,
I just installed an expression 3 in a local dinner theater, so I've been learning it as I go along. There is an FAQ or,tip of the day that addresses your #3. Basically you link 2 channels to make a stereo pair, and then in the fader setup page, you simply delete the second fader of the pair. It's not really perfect, but I did it for their music playback channels and it seemed to work ok.

It's not a bad console overall. Some things are a little clunky and odd, but for a <$3k console the build quality is good and it gets the job done.

https://www.facebook.com/SiExpression/posts/192378790929240

Hi Michael, There is an FAQ or,tip of the day that addresses your #3. Basically you link 2 channels to make a stereo pair, and then in the fader setup page, you simply delete the second fader of the pair.

Thanks very much. Tried it and it works.

Once the second fader of the pair is deleted, it seems like there is no way to set that inputs gain and pan (even, say, through the touch screen). I guess I could assign the input to another fader layer so I can select it. Am I missing something?