Soundcraft UI12 wifi connection issues

Re: Soundcraft UI12 wifi connection issues

Promise ;) ?

I did force the first round of updates before testing yesterday. Will give it some time and try again.

Dave

We can certainly hope. For one of my computers the update disabled my wireless network card, so I plugged in wired network. The next day I had a notification that Windows had installed more updates. I disconnected and moved the laptop off my desk and it then automatically connected to the wireless access point. I also had some printer issues that were corrected in a Windows update. I hope whatever problems you're having will be similarly fixed.

We can certainly hope.

So, Windows 10 Pro seems to have stabilized on my laptop (knock on wood). Just a suggestion for anyone considering the in-place upgrade - update all your drivers FIRST and know what make and model of Graphics & Network cards are installed before beginning the process.

Back to the earlier question, Edge does not work 100% with the Ui Control Software. I can, for example, toggle Mute and Solo buttons with no problem, but scrolling across the Faders just doesn't work. I can move a Fader a notch in either direction, then it stops.

Maybe it's a setting somewhere, but my touch screen works perfectly in Chrome.

Dave

Back to the earlier question, Edge does not work 100% with the Ui Control Software. I can, for example, toggle Mute and Solo buttons with no problem, but scrolling across the Faders just doesn't work. I can move a Fader a notch in either direction, then it stops.
Thanks for checking that out, Dave. I suspected that it may not work 100% because I know that our own HTML5 server in our MediaMatrix NION platform is not working 100% with the Edge browser either. It works really well with Chrome and several other browsers, but not so well with Edge.

So, I am hoping that this is an issue with the Edge browser specifically that Microsoft will address in the future.

So, I am hoping that this is an issue with the Edge browser specifically that Microsoft will address in the future.

Happy to help, Josh!

I haven't spent any more time in Edge because....well, why WOULD I :roll: ? I've avoided Microsoft's browsers as much as possible - especially after the April 2014 vulnerability notice.

Scroll down to the "Performance" section of this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

...and you'll see Edge recently scored below Firefox and far below Chrome for HTML5 compliance.

Dave

I've found iPads are somewhat of a mystery and doing a "forget the network" on the iPad will help. Then just select the network again and it will automatically set itself up again.

Happy to help, Josh!

I haven't spent any more time in Edge because....well, why WOULD I :roll: ? I've avoided Microsoft's browsers as much as possible - especially after the April 2014 vulnerability notice.

Scroll down to the "Performance" section of this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

...and you'll see Edge recently scored below Firefox and far below Chrome for HTML5 compliance.

Dave

Of course! Why didn't I go look on Wikipedia earlier... Thanks for the pointer!

Yes, why would you indeed! I have avoided their browsers in general since there are typically much better ones to choose from. This is certainly obvious from what is posted in that link.

Thanks again Dave!

Just a FYI. After installing the latest firmware from Soundcraft my iPad seems to be considerably more reliable on the internal hotspot. We have done 2 gigs with no drops.

Have been reading all comments re ui16 dropouts on wi fi
we are using hard wired network connection and have given ui16 fixed ip on network.
soundcraft do not reveal the MAC address of the unit but this was discovered from network.
we use a 'tesco' hull android device to connect via draytek wireless unit in church.

have experienced dropouts on a few occasions normally solved by reconnect of device occasionally a reboot of ui16 has been required- not helpful whilst in use.
have noted that, helpfully, when losing connection ui16 maintains state.

have learnt to keep smartphone on standby and if critical keep it logged on as back up.

having two devices connected together does slow two separate screens to be shown at same time . Nice to watch faders on one device follow actions on other.

device in use now every Sunday 3 times and gradually team gaining experience.
sitting front of house allows much better control of sound and adaptation of voices than sitting away on a remote balcony.
Any further comments on wi if issues welcome.

we had wondered about network traffic.

spb

Is there a continuation of this thread somewhere? Or did it really just screech to a halt last October? We who have been tempted by this oh-so-close product are still struggling with reliable connectivity most of a year later.

What galls me about this is that Soundcraft seems to be expecting live-sound people to also be IT experts. I've been using the Internet for over 20 years (and some dial-up modem file transfers before that) and have successfully both made physical repairs/upgrades to my hardware and configured various modems and routers, but this thing is making my brain hurt.

The manual is not especially helpful, and even vendor help articles seem to dive into the acronym jargon right off the bat. One post (on Gearslutz, where the mixers have an astounding 69-page thread with more than 2000 comments and 200k views) recounted, over two pages, a step-by-step obtained by phone with a Soundcraft tech person.

It shouldn't be that technical for the end user. Where, 16 years into personal computing's second century, are the setup wizards we need to plug and play this kind of prosumer device? The difference between having to manually configure everything Internet just a few years ago and the auto-sensing-and-setting we generally enjoy now is stark.

From my perspective, one should be able to plug a quality dual-band router into the ethernet port, string a second cable from a LAN port on the router to a laptop, ask the mixer to configure, and have all three control modes up and running.

This mixer is a game-changer in its potential, but its Achilles heel is the IT stuff.

I'm glad this thread is revived, too. I've got a UI16 hardwired to a router using a Windows 10 desktop using Chrome and an Android tablet using the router's wi-fi (not the UI16 hotspot). The hard-wired Ethernet connection to the router drops as both the desktop and the tablet show "Connecting". Not good just running sound, but even worse trying to play canned music on cue. I cannot figure out what triggers this. I've even disconnected the router from the main network so when the AT&T connection loses Internet access, it should have no effect. But I still get the problem. Rebooting the mixer is needed sometimes. I'd sure like an answer or a firmware update or something.

I'm using this in a church service. Also using the recording feature for the sermon. The recording volume is always very low and I can't figure out how to get it higher. I've adjusted gains so the Pastor's mic is high and the master is low and the other way around (mic on 0dB and master almost to the top) and seem to get the same result. I have to amplify 40dB with Audacity before posting the mp3 to our website.

Agreed. This issue is not getting better. In fact, it is way worse.

Using the UI16 with an iPad (10.0.2) never more than 10 yards from the mixer with an upgraded antenna, in a gig environment with minimal external networks, (2-3 maximum), the connection constantly drops to a point where it simply won't connect, or if it does, it asks for the UI16 password which, even when entered correctly, refuses to accept.

It makes the unit as it as useless as a boat anchor. We've done shows with absolutely no control over the sound. We all know what that's like.

Any suggestions on what to do?

We are gigging for a month in the Caribbean so access to other parts and equipment is very limited.

Just to add to the discussion.

My UI12 has experienced the same thing Jim Ward talks about ever since I bought it. (December 2015). In my case I am connected 100% of the time to the ethernet port and don't use the built-in wireless. When the unit drops I lose both the wired and wireless interfaces.

I updated the firmware but the issues persist. From what I can gather the network interfaces (Wired/Wireless) drop off the network. I have tried to ping it but no response. I ran NMAP against it, ignoring lack of a ping, and it came back with nothing.

There was a period recently where I was able to run it without dropping for a couple of months but it has started dropping off the network again. I haven't found a solution yet. I am wondering if the unit is experiencing some sort of overload on its networking interfaces which cause the unit to shut down networking. Sadly I don't know of any internal logs to look at which might give some details on what is happening.

I am the Sound Engineer for the Walsall Jazz Orchestra and I can confirm exactly the same "Connecting" issues with the UI16 both on wired and WiFi connections. The wired connection seems a little better if I disable the WiFi on the laptop and just use the CAT5 cable; perhaps only dropping out with the "Connecting" message only four or five times during a three hour gig. The SAMSUNG tablet connected by WiFi drops out every few minutes. Both are scary if you have a solo and need to adjust the level of a channel. I have checked the WiFi signal strength from the UI16 and that seems consistently good despite the browser loosing connection. I did purchase a much larger WiFi antenna but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

What I find strange is that when I first purchased the UI16 it did not drop out at all. The first couple of gigs were fine, but then I did a firmware update. Could it be that Soundcraft need to look at the firmware and diagnose the problems we all seem to be having?

Hi. I'm new to this forum, so still learning the ropes! We use the Ui12 for our church PA, and have had all the same problems discussed here with disconnections. We have tried all manners of solutions; different channels, raising the mixer to give direct line of sight to our laptop and iPads, connecting via a separate router using WiFi, and via a Cat5 lead. Nothing has given a consistent connection.

Just yesterday, after a particularly frustrating morning, our resident computer geek used his laptop to 'interrogate' the Ui12 with a DOS box. Although familiar with DOS (gives away my age!), I couldn't follow the speed at which he did this, so I can't describe what he actually found, but what came out was that it was the Ui dropping the ball somewhere in its software programming for the connection.

Now, I realise that this is a relatively cheap mixer, but Soundcraft really need to get their act together and check their firmware very carefully, as this fault has caused heartache and frustration for an awful lot of people.

Ok I'll jump into this re-awakened thread.

On my Ui16 I have shut off the internal WIFI, set up the LAN connection with a static IP address and use a either a TP Link Archer C7 or Netgear R7000 WIFI router with no issues. On the routers I have shut off the 2.4g band and only use the 5g band with a hidden SSID.

That set up works great and is solid unless I walk out of range.

Reactions: Klaus Zimmermann
Ok I'll jump into this re-awakened thread.

On my Ui16 I have shut off the internal WIFI, set up the LAN connection with a static IP address and use a either a TP Link Archer C7 or Netgear R7000 WIFI router with no issues. On the routers I have shut off the 2.4g band and only use the 5g band with a hidden SSID.

That set up works great and is solid unless I walk out of range.
So its 2023 - and I am having exact same issues as most here with the Ui16 years ago. Seems like they did sweet FA to fix anything.
Previous band I was in we used the Behringer XAir unit, and stupidly we sold this when we split. Since forming a new band years later I had to re-purchase a mixer and went digital again, however the Ui16 was a good deal and reviews on both Soundcraft & Behringer seemed equal. Im left pretty dissapointed TBH, we had no where near the drop out & connection issues with the XAir that i'm having with this unit, and the fact you need to keep going into your browser to connect? How hard is it create an app? As someone else here said, you need to be an IT professional to work this thing and de-bug the issues. Anyway - rant off.

So its 2023 - and I am having exact same issues as most here with the Ui16 years ago. Seems like they did sweet FA to fix anything.
Previous band I was in we used the Behringer XAir unit, and stupidly we sold this when we split. Since forming a new band years later I had to re-purchase a mixer and went digital again, however the Ui16 was a good deal and reviews on both Soundcraft & Behringer seemed equal. Im left pretty dissapointed TBH, we had no where near the drop out & connection issues with the XAir that i'm having with this unit, and the fact you need to keep going into your browser to connect? How hard is it create an app? As someone else here said, you need to be an IT professional to work this thing and de-bug the issues. Anyway - rant off.
For anything close to a reliable connection with those you need to set up an external WIFI router. Anything operating in the 2.4g WIFI band is asking for issues in a crowed room full of cell phones.

Reactions: Robert Mez