SSL jumping into Live sound market with big digital console

Re: SSL jumping into Live sound market with big digital console

The market will decide. It seems there might be some attraction to providing continuity between the studio environment and access to studio tools when performing live. Don't know how strong that attraction is.

JR

The market will decide. It seems there might be some attraction to providing continuity between the studio environment and access to studio tools when performing live. Don't know how strong that attraction is.

JR
This attraction seemed to work for AVID's Venue consoles. So why not for the SSL at a higher price point.

JR

This attraction seemed to work for AVID's Venue consoles. So why not for the SSL at a higher price point.

IMHO I don't think this is the angle that SSL is aiming for (I haven't looked at their marketing for their new console yet) and I think there is a big difference between the attraction to the VENUE line vs the attraction to a SSL live sound console vis-a-vis continuity between studio and stage. Only a very small percentage of music mixes are mixed on consoles anymore (let alone SSL's)....

To me, it boils down to the fact that VENUE/Pro Tools is(was) a software platform vs SSL is a "tone".

The VENUE platform is based around the idea that if you do nothing its going to be "clean". Clean sounding EQ's, clean preamps, clean compressors/gates etc. If you want to add some sonic flavor you have a huge selection of choices from established plugin manufacturers.... a lot of artists already own and love a lot of these plugins.

I think the SSL will be more in line with the Midas line in that it has its own sonic character.

I remain suspicious of any modern audio path that has a sound character of it's own.

JR
You illuminated this subject before with the fact about Midas soft clipping circuits in the preamp sections. I use a ton of different plugins in the studio, with a lot of newer ones aiming for this "tone" signature. This can be helpful in familiar mixing situations. For instance I know how the UAD Helios EQ low frequency "bump" settings will do do drums or guitars. Now a new Waves Plugin is set up the same way. Again, useful in being familiar. The curves and distortion characteristics are specific. Now for me, I would not really want an entire $100K+ console that had all these "characteristic" sounds unless I was mixing a very specific type of music.... Maybe not even then.

Which ones don't?

Any that deliver low distortion and flat frequency response should sound pretty similar.

There are some subtle differences like overload characteristics, control laws, even EQ filter bandwidths, but they should pretty much act like a straight wire with gain so output very closely resembles the input with desired changes (EQ) or something is broken.

Note: there is some art involved in the ergonomics of control laws and the like. Otherwise they all would be the same.

JR

View attachment 6592

SSL Live. | Solid State Logic

Interesting to see the big studio dog jumping into live.

Lots of IO and processing, aiming for high end applications. Was interested to see that it includes Automixer functionality.

USD $84,000 - $130,000

In your opinion, is there much market for a new desk in this high end bracket, given what already exists?

My initial thought was that they're aiming for customers like big TV Networks who produce their own live events and shows with studio audiences. Here, at least, those mixing duties are often handeled on Studer Vistas today. Why wouldn't SSL want to try to get a piece of that market?

Didn't Peter Gabriel use this desk for a portion of his last tour? After all he does own the company.

I've never used either console, but what is the silver handle looking thing on the side that looks the same as what digico have? Hardware sharing between the two companies or is it some sort of standardised connector?

I'm pretty sure it's a handle. For lifting.

I'm fairly excited about this product.

I like the SSL C-series consoles, so that bodes well for this product.

From what I have seen so far (which is not a lot), a few things stand out:

1) Its cheap for the amount of audio processing paths it has. This is Digico SD7 territory.
2) The layout looks interesting.
3) I like products designed around MADI (or any protocol specifically designed to carry audio). I don't understand why everyone is so keen to jump into Audio over IP for console snake applications. Its like running all your ethernet on powerline adapters because you can...
4) It has a large amount of local IO, specifically in the MADI department.
5) Blacklight sounds interesting. Sounds to me like they are just taking some regular optical madi SFPs and applying some CWDM, but thats a nice way to reduce cabling.

from the SSL Live Description...

"There are three front panel rotary controls to adjust brightness of the console: one each for the screens, control LEDs and light strip. These brightness controls respond to automation to aide blackouts."

Okay, that is something i've never seen before. sounds like a great thing for theater work.

Digico has on surface knobs for screen and lamp brightness.

Who says things aren't mixed on SSLs anymore? Top 40 guys sure do. Studios definitely still have them and buy them, especially Duality/J.

IMHO I don't think this is the angle that SSL is aiming for (I haven't looked at their marketing for their new console yet) and I think there is a big difference between the attraction to the VENUE line vs the attraction to a SSL live sound console vis-a-vis continuity between studio and stage. Only a very small percentage of music mixes are mixed on consoles anymore (let alone SSL's)....

To me, it boils down to the fact that VENUE/Pro Tools is(was) a software platform vs SSL is a "tone".

The VENUE platform is based around the idea that if you do nothing its going to be "clean". Clean sounding EQ's, clean preamps, clean compressors/gates etc. If you want to add some sonic flavor you have a huge selection of choices from established plugin manufacturers.... a lot of artists already own and love a lot of these plugins.

I think the SSL will be more in line with the Midas line in that it has its own sonic character.

I don't think that SSL will market this console based on the tone. I think it will be feature set, flexibility and integration. And I do think that there are studio consoles still in use out there. Otherwise companies like SSL, Lawo, Neve would be out of business by now. We will see about the market for the desk, the price point is not too high for some professional markets. So I bet on bigger tours, convention centers and so.

Gesendet von meinem HTC Vision mit Tapatalk 2

Digico has on surface knobs for screen and lamp brightness.

Just about every desk has that. What Brian meant was that when one of the techs calls up a cue on their desk where the theatre goes very dark, the lighting on the desk can be programmed to follow, so that the techs/surrounding audience members aren't blinded by the desk lights/screens. Much like your smart phone does when you're using it in a dark bedroom, for instance, but with the SSL desks you get to program exactly when it happens. Clearer now?:)

I don't think that SSL will market this console based on the tone. I think it will be feature set, flexibility and integration. And I do think that there are studio consoles still in use out there. Otherwise companies like SSL, Lawo, Neve would be out of business by now. We will see about the market for the desk, the price point is not too high for some professional markets. So I bet on bigger tours, convention centers and so.

Gesendet von meinem HTC Vision mit Tapatalk 2

The studio market has been slow/no growth for years.. While the live SR is not exactly hot as a firecracker any new incremental business for SSL is more sales, and it's not that much of a stretch these days.

JR