StageMix for LS9 released

Re: StageMix for LS9 released

Played with it. Perfect tool for running monitors on a one person gig. Dial in monitors from on stage, then head out to FOH to run the show. Super easy to set up. Simple interface: Levels, mixes, and EQ. Really, the bulk of what you need for monitors.

I am pleased.

EQ your headset microphones on a corporate gig ON the stage without having to drag a laptop around. wonderfull. I'll also be able to go next to the musos on stage when we're soundchecking next time (i'm touring a lot with ls9 on monitors) and this will be even if only psychological be a big advantage. loving it, absolutely loving it.

Hey,

Used it in anger the other night. They have a nice ipad follow desk cue so your eq changes as you click through your channels letting you use the ipad to eq things insted of the rotorys...... Amazing. Halved my fustration with the desk. Made the night easy. Eqed wedges from stage. Happy Kim.

I had a festival style event yesterday that allowed me to load-in early, line check and tune the PA. I left the LS9 on the stage and mixed our one hour set with the iPad (FOH and Monitors) using only 6% of the battery. I'm using a first gen iPad so the meters were a little sluggish from time to time but worked great, all things considered. I use the same mics, di's, cable for every show so the channel strip sounds on pretty well dialed in so it's no big deal if I can't access the Dynamics, Head Amp or Pans on each channel- I'm at a "push faders only" show at this point.

EQ your headset microphones on a corporate gig ON the stage without having to drag a laptop around. wonderfull. I'll also be able to go next to the musos on stage when we're soundchecking next time (i'm touring a lot with ls9 on monitors) and this will be even if only psychological be a big advantage. loving it, absolutely loving it.

The advantage is huge imho. Standing next to the musician tweaking his mix is priceless. This is a thing I always wanted to do and never was able to do on analogue desks.

Hey,

Used it in anger the other night. They have a nice ipad follow desk cue so your eq changes as you click through your channels letting you use the ipad to eq things insted of the rotorys...... Amazing. Halved my fustration with the desk. Made the night easy. Eqed wedges from stage. Happy Kim.

Yeah, much better EQ screen compared to the LS9 original UI.

LS9, next gerneration with an iPad taped to it ;-)

The band I play with is starting to get more gigs where we hire a sound guy instead of running sound from the stage. Hopefully this will be our very small footprint monitor split / desk. Very happy to keep control of the monitors on stage.

Used it last night.

Stage one: charity fundraiser with two co-chairs and organization head using RF HH at podium. Then, auction given by three celebrity types wearing RF lavs. System, flown delays and pole mounted boxes near stage. iPad connected to laptop via wrt54g router, remoter app, and tight vnc. Laptop running airfader, wired to router and then to console. Right tool for the job...where being able to ring out prior to event, then tweak tonality and dynamics during event while walking the room was a significant advantage. Not to mention, console was located in a closet, so a second person and walkie talkies would have been needed otherwise.

Session two: Once auction event was over, grabbed router and walked upstairs to get the band started. Mixer side of stage, iPad running stage mix. Obviously, not able to adjust dynamics or tweak effects using this method, but the interface is less cluttered and the metering is really nice. Adjusting monitor mixes or effects feeds takes a few clicks, but it was easy enough I could respond to monitor request sign language without leaving my cocktail table. Huge bonus is that now you can leave your effects on the encoders (rather than giving up faders). Fader control is not clunky at all and fine moves are really easy.

Compare and contrast: Airfader has meters too, but the lag of vnc makes it difficult to use them outside of checking to see that RF mics are turned on. For really tweaky sessions like mine, airfader vnc was great. Tweaking of vnc settings to reduce bandwidth required by graphics can reduce lag to minimal levels...where the refresh rate easily keeps up with clicking through menus. Stage mix is really nice. Reduced feature set compared to airfader but the bare bones interface keeps you from being nervous about hitting the wrong button. For instance, airfader puts the mute button right next to the button for closing the channel strip view...so you have to be careful there. Overall, two good tools for "some gigs I do." The airfader experience will be different if you host it remotely via laptop or pc tablet. Perhaps the metering would be better too. Naming your channels in each application is pretty essential for workflow verification. Airfader allows this to be done from the tablet. Stage mix requires this to be done from the console, but the bonus is that channel tag colors show up for a nice visual cue. Airfader allows scene manipulation while stage mix requires a trip to the console. Finally if you want to use airfader, get a bulletproof router with good antennas. Stage mix takes a skinny minute to resync, so vnc is a winner in this area. I didn't have issues, but there's no reason to mess with spotty control coverage.

I even spilt coffee on the iPad. No worries, ran right off the screen. All day on the iPad and still 50% on the battery remaining.

Last edited:

John- are you running an iPad 1 or 2? I had some lag in the metering as well on my iPad 1 and wondered if upgrading to a 2 would improve the metering.

Steve- if you arer going to do this with your band then your FOH guy can use the LS9 and you use the iPad simultaneously. You will just want to use the other layer so you can have independent EQ. You will have to share the head amps.

Got a deal on v1 after v2 was announced. I can't see why metering with stagemix would improve with v2. The meters are a nice indication of what is going on within the mix, bit can't see why the need to be perfect and instant. It's not as if I'm using stage mix to set head amp gains.

Yeah, John, I totally agree with you. Since I was doing a hour set each day of a two day festival I decided to take my console and leave it on the deck. The show is completely dialed in from months of touring so I only push faders at this point anyways. The reason I ask is because this being my first outing with it as well. I'm prodding around because every time the meters seems to hang up I got that nervous feeling that I might be about to lose connection. I eventually just got comfortable with the glitch since it didn't last for more than half a second.

I did lose a connection twice: Once during my sound check because I made the mistake of trying to run the Remote App at the same time forgetting that the air card is shared between the WAN and Bluetooth. Secondly, at the beginning of the first night I lost a connection for some unknown reason and had to walk up to the console and get close to the LS9 to reconnect.

Yeah, John, I totally agree with you. Since I was doing a hour set each day of a two day festival I decided to take my console and leave it on the deck. The show is completely dialed in from months of touring so I only push faders at this point anyways. The reason I ask is because this being my first outing with it as well. I'm prodding around because every time the meters seems to hang up I got that nervous feeling that I might be about to lose connection. I eventually just got comfortable with the glitch since it didn't last for more than half a second.

I did lose a connection twice: Once during my sound check because I made the mistake of trying to run the Remote App at the same time forgetting that the air card is shared between the WAN and Bluetooth. Secondly, at the beginning of the first night I lost a connection for some unknown reason and had to walk up to the console and get close to the LS9 to reconnect.

Kip
What router are you using? I had an range issue with my Cisco E1000 and then I upgraded to their E2000 and the range issue's went away.

Peace

Reception tends to go to hell at showtime. I think it is because of all the cell phones that come into the venue.

One thing you might try is turning off the meters. They take 99% of the bandwidth, control only takes 1%.

Kip, I did not notice any sluggish meters with airfader. Perhaps something is going on here. I plan to carry enough cat5 to get the router in a good location. Top of stack, edge of stage, etc. No burying the thing around racks in monitor land. Also I may try to pick up another eBay linksys wrt54g...this time with the high dollar external/remote antenna option.

As I get comfortable, I'll probably turn off the ssid broadcast for my network to prevent it from getting hit by the punters with iPhones. With better wireless coverage will only come more opportinities for other devices to get in the way. Wishful thinking but I also put "no internet" on my network names.

Steve- if you are going to do this with your band then your FOH guy can use the LS9 and you use the iPad simultaneously. You will just want to use the other layer so you can have independent EQ. You will have to share the head amps.

We'll only be using the I-Pad for sends on faders adjustments of monitor volume, so there shouldn't be any overlap with what the FOH guy is doing. Our mixes are basic and I'm good at keeping the band happy with their stage mixes. The plan is to handle the monitors (since we're good at it) and let the FOH guy focus on FOH.

Is there anything wrong with taping a Cat5 cable to the snake and putting the router on the stage instead of next to the mixer? (To make the wireless connection short, and hopefully, more reliable)
A signal on Cat 5 goes somewhere around 300 feet without trouble doesn't it?

You may just want to go with Cat6 cable if you are going to run it that long and if you're going to put one on there you might as well put two. Who knows what the future holds for affordable networking. If someone makes a comparable to the unit to Yamaha's remote input that is affordable than you might need a second line. Most of the cat5 and 6 wire that I see people use is plenum wire so that jacket isn't as heavy duty so having a spare taped on to it would never hurt.

I haven't done full tests with the iPad yet, but I was getting about 200 feet away from my LS9 with my MacBookPro and it worked great- no bars lost. Obviously it's a different aircard in the iPad. My router is mounted in the doghouse of the LS9 in an aluminum shelf surrounded by thick heavily painted wood and at 100 feet the iPad still had all it's bars. I'm leaving for a 6 weeker today so I just have plenty of data to tweak how this thing runs.
IMG_0419.jpg