StageMix for LS9 released

Re: StageMix for LS9 released

Got my new-to-me 1st gen I-Pad connected to the LS-9 yesterday, so I took it to the show I was providing sound for last night.

(I was filling in for a band Steve Tarak normally handles, "The Bishops". Good musicians and they understand stage volume/working together with the soundman to get the best sound out front. Steve has a good gig working with them)

During monitor setup, I sat the I-Pad down while I was trouble shooting a bad cable and it went to sleep.
Turning back on and reconnecting takes a minute or 2 (which is a lifetime when you have a band staring at you), so be sure to set the auto-lock in I-Pad settings to "off" (or at least 15 minutes) so it won't time do this.

Once the show got going, it became obvious that where they had me set up FOH was not really in the coverage area of the speakers. Grabbed the I-Pad, found a place a spot at a table closer up and finished the night there.

Had quite a few "What the hell are you doing.....Oh...wow...Cool!" conversations.
Being able to mix from where I could hear was really nice.
This thing is going to all gigs with me from here out.

It is a very cool app Steve. And a huge thanks to you for your help as my son graduated from basic training in San Diego (hi all you California providers...loved that place).

Steve is also a very talented provider, good friend, gear head ( !!! ) and has a great rig.

Add a great sense of humor, and you've got a true pro in him.

Anyone else notice their console behaving sluggishly with Stagemix connected? Last night, I kept pushing buttons and having to wait for the console to "wake up" before anything on the screen would respond. This happened when Stagemix was or had recently been running; further into the show, with the ipad having been asleep for a while, I had no further issues.

I got the chance to work with Kirby Yarbrough tonight, mixing a big band on his LS9 for a local community event. He provided the event with a really well thought-out powered QSC system with all the bells and whistles, along with an LS9-32 accompanied with an iPad2 for running StageMix. We had musicians trickling in somewhat at the last minute (15 piece horn section Big Band... including an awesome 92 year old trumpet player!) and had to hit the ground running with no sound check at all. . . Their director just picked up the mic and introduced them, and counted off the first chart... off we go!

I got levels roughed in quickly on the console (located side stage under a tent due to logistical & climatic obstacles) and then grabbed the iPad and took a walk into the audience... where I stayed for most of the rest of the night !! I have owned and used a Motion Labs Tablet extensively for mixing with studio manager... and this is SOOOO far above and beyond that, it's not even funny! The ability to grab multiple faders is so awesome, it feels natural within seconds. Pulling up the EQ and shaping it quickly with your fingers while still being able to be incredibly precise is just awesome!

The light weight of the iPad2 also let me comfortably hold it for a few hours without any discomfort. My LE1600 with bump case felt like a cinder block after 10 minutes and constantly needed recharging. I ran the iPad all night (Started @ 80% battery) and took it down to only 70% by the time we were loading out!

An enthusiastic TWO THUMBS UP for StageMix from me... would I like it to do some more stuff? Yes, of course I would... but they are headed in a really cool direction. I honestly haven't had such a fun time actually MIXING on a gig in quite some time... after a few minutes, you just fly around on the touch screen and it's just a really natural feeling interface. I was AMAZED at how connected and responsive the faders felt, along with the resolution they offered, it was just brilliant!

Kirby runs a super tight ship and provided an awesome night to a very appreciative community tonight. Thanks again man for having me out... it was a really fun night for me!

Anyone else notice their console behaving sluggishly with Stagemix connected? Last night, I kept pushing buttons and having to wait for the console to "wake up" before anything on the screen would respond. This happened when Stagemix was or had recently been running; further into the show, with the ipad having been asleep for a while, I had no further issues.

No sluggish consoles issues for me. I have been using mine in conjunction with the consolev at FOH during the show as a quick way to get to my EQ racks and have noticed no change in performance. The iPad has a delay in fader movements on channels that are linked, but what else can you ask for at this point-it's great leap in the right direction for a console that can ce hard to follow.