Stolen Truck Batteries for the second time!

Re: Stolen Truck Batteries for the second time!

I do know a couple people who have super glued razors to items. One was a car stereo and the other a vanity license plate that was stolen multiple times. Both of them had attempts to be stolen again with bloody results.

I do know a couple people who have super glued razors to items. One was a car stereo and the other a vanity license plate that was stolen multiple times. Both of them had attempts to be stolen again with bloody results.

I have two stories to share.

One is about a guy who had those fancy extra high-beam lights attached to the front of his truck and several pairs were stolen. He drilled a hole in razor blades and used them as "washers" inside the bumper. Apparantly, someone tried and gave up...

The other is about an old geezer in my neighborhood. He has one of those old-style agricultural tractors where the fuel filler cap is at the bottom of a pipe behind the cab. After several cases of finding the tractor with no fuel, he made a whole cluster of fishing hooks and hung it inside the pipe. Someone did try reaching for the filler cap. Ouch!

Oh man, that sucks but a fun little project could be had here: Simple circuit to detect loss of voltage, relays a signal to a module located in your building that then plays very loud gunshots over a couple of speakers. Then, just follow the doodoo trail to find the little scumbags.

Instead of playing gunshots through speakers, take this video (Home Alone 2 TV Trick Funny Scene - YouTube), edit out the replies and play that. Works every time.

As satisfying as booby-trapping with razor blades, fish hooks, or whatever may sound, please don't do it. Probably illegal too, but don't do it because it's just wrong.

JR

As satisfying as booby-trapping with razor blades, fish hooks, or whatever may sound, please don't do it. Probably illegal too, but don't do it because it's just wrong.

JR

And will probably incite someone already having only minimal morals to want to hurt you or your stuff more.

I'd rather a long, tight area to snake arm into - with some sort of spring-loaded handcuff and cell dialer. Maybe a hidden camera as well for comic relief.

Perhaps the equivalent of a bank dye pack, but instead of explosive, just use contact.... The miscreant and anyone who handles the hot battery after the fact, gets his/her hands coated with some incriminating persistent ink color. If you want to be clever you can make it black light ink so the criminal doesn't know (s)he is self incriminating until later, but good old very visible red or blue dye should help ID the bad guy(s), and maybe discourage them in real time if they notice what is going on.

JR

Spotting blue will do.

It doesn't wash off, and is cheap.

Also works on coworkers tool box drawer pulls. Not many people look at their hands before wiping their face.

I once lived in a very popular college foot travel route. Well someone was kind enough to leave a grocery shopping cart out front of our place. With large groups of students constantly walking by often we decided it was a good idea to grab some mustard and liberally apply to the push bar and sit on the porch. I cant remember how many people fell for it but it was hilarious. Group after group just had to push the cart. Hardest part was keeping a straight face.

+1, I won't say that alarm's are a complete waste. We had a break-in at our retail spot and after reviewing the surveillance footage I was able to determine that the perp was able to get in, grab what he wanted and get out before the alarm would have even sounded, I believe the glass triggers set the alarm of instantaneously, but door triggers have a hold period.
I was referring to car alarms, not building ones. You need to have a good monitored premises alarm with cameras for large amounts of pro audio gear and insurance co's expect it.

JR

We also need to remember that emergency workers usually try to disconnect the batteries of a vehicle when responding to a car wreck. Booby trapping the batteries is even worse than booby trapping a lot of other stuff.

They also tend to just cut the wires so if its rigged to only go off if the battery is removed (Blue ink Packet with a pressure release)