Suggest a mic mount for this grand piano

Tim Perry

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Utica, NY

This piano bar where my friends sometimes play is very small.

The lid cannot be raised. A mic cannot be permanently installed.

No one is willing to make a significant investment.

Last time I added a LDC w/shockmount for improvement laying on top using LP drum claw for weight.

Thinking about trying choir mics next time.

Re: Suggest a mic mount for this grand piano

Simple... a pair of Audio Technica ATM350 clip on condenser mics. They will clip right onto the metal frame of the piano... and will kick ass for you. I use them all the time like this, and get great results. No stands, claws or gaff tape needed... friendly even for the most stupidly expensive piano's I run into in D.C.

I also like the clip on suggestion; lots of options there.

I'm a little unclear on the rules of engagement - the lid can't be opened, nothing can be permanently installed. I assume you don't want to just put a mic stand over it.
icon_smile.gif

Also, there's always the old gaff tape bridge. Though I'm afraid you're going to get a lot of hammer noise; I usually like to to be able to adjust the mic position relative to the hammers to find a nice blend between attack and sustain.

One or two DPA 4061 lavs with the magnetic surface mounts. You can snake your hand in and stick them to the harp wherever.

I thought I was ignoring the OP's quote ''No one is willing to make a significant investment'' ... by suggesting a pair of $200 clip on mics... but you guys are blowing me out of the water suggesting Earthworks and DPA for a walk-on piano bar gig.

I'd hate to hear what you guys suggest to someone who is actually looking to spend some money!!!
icon_eek.gif

One or two DPA 4061 lavs with the magnetic surface mounts. You can snake your hand in and stick them to the harp wherever.

I thought I was ignoring the OP's quote ''No one is willing to make a significant investment'' ... by suggesting a pair of $200 clip on mics... but you guys are blowing me out of the water suggesting Earthworks and DPA for a walk-on piano bar gig.

I'd hate to hear what you guys suggest to someone who is actually looking to spend some money!!!
icon_eek.gif

Schoeps.

icon_eek.gif

Well, usually this is where the OP says something like ''I've got a busted 57, how can I make it sound great?''

icon_eek.gif

Well, usually this is where the OP says something like ''I've got a busted 57, how can I make it sound great?''

There's at least $10 bucks in the tip jar...can't tell what country the other money is from.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I was going to try a couple of countryman isomax 2-h... but this thread has inspired me to attempt a pair of podium mics, laying on their sides.

The problem with regular mic stands is they get knocked over by the crowd... last show he nearly got his teeth knocked out when a dancer backed into the stand.

If you have a couple of SM91's laying around you could always tape them to the lid. It's worked for me on occasions.

Peace

What about putting a bar clamp (like from woodworking) on the cross braces and then a clip on mic stand (the table top type or drum type) on the bar clamp?

You may already know this, but the Euro standard for mic mounts is 3/8''-16 (yeah, not metric!). So you could just make a piece of something that lays across the harp, have a 3/8'' bolt end sticking out somewhere where it balances, and screw one of those little mic adapter things (free with every Shure mic) on as your mic clip mount.