Synergy horns vs Line arrays

Vladimir Kuzmin Sr.

Sep 4, 2021
Russia
We can discuss the topic of competition between the two principles of sound amplification: so-called synergy horns and line arrays, who will win as a result. Who can say what?

I agree that we may have different tastes, but probably the main purpose of the sound system is to deliver the sound signal to the audience as accurately and efficiently as possible. From this point of view synergy horn systems are preferable, in my opinion.
Recently on Prosound Web there was an article https://www.prosoundweb.com/tech-to...vzHoFH_COcz4HOIHzANvCycsfpZJZ6gTTgZn08C0cDXdo with discussion in Danly Sound Labs Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1305077852863150 where Tom Danly gave a detailed commentary. It is impossible not to agree with Tom.

I agree that we may have different tastes, but probably the main purpose of the sound system is to deliver the sound signal to the audience as accurately and efficiently as possible. From this point of view synergy horn systems are preferable, in my opinion.
Recently on Prosound Web there was an article https://www.prosoundweb.com/tech-to...vzHoFH_COcz4HOIHzANvCycsfpZJZ6gTTgZn08C0cDXdo with discussion in Danly Sound Labs Users Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1305077852863150 where Tom Danly gave a detailed commentary. It is impossible not to agree with Tom.
Yes, we know Tom does great things and puts out some impressive products. Each has their own pro's & con's and when buying any speakers, you need to know your market. If you going after Touring Bands, Danley is on the very bottom of the acceptability lists. But I know many regional operators who are using Danley at community/regional festivals with success.

The benefits of Synergy Horn is that 1-2 box can do a job, but at the downfall is that you need to own several different sized boxes to meet the different venue sizes.

The benefit for Line array; you can scale it up and down at different venues and having redundancy in speakers and amps. But the down side is that if you don't input the correct venue measurements and the array program is going execute the incorrect array angles.

I was skimming at a couple Jericho horns, each requires multiple amps to run (I'm not to knowledgeable on this product line). I know d&b Q's & V's pretty alright, but not an expert, and I can run 2x V8/V12s off per amp channel; thus I can do an 8 box hang off a single 4ch amp.

Thanks for your opinion. The main advantage of Danly's synergy horn is the near-perfect coherence of all signal components, which does not degrade with distance from the source and is maintained for every centimeter of the sounding area. This is not the case with the line array. It does not have the claimed cylindrical shape of the emitted wave front, especially the J shape of the line array. Almost all line arrays have multiple interference, which leads to a large irregularity, at each point the sound can be different. The sound only becomes approximately coherent at a great distance. I also don't understand linear arrays with a small number of boxes. In that case it's just a bunch of boxes. Line arrays have some controllability in the vertical plane and none in the horizontal plane. Danleys have no controllability at all. If Danley could figure out how to control the directivity of the radiation, that would be great and along with high signal coherence would provide great benefits. All I see so far is an increase in the size of the boxes.

I can't read the Facebook post, not being a member, but surely we're comparing apples with oranges here?

Function One had some great boxes, and still do - and for the kinds of shows I do, I have no problem with a single box approach - and those Function One units could be used upside down if you needed to angle sound to certain places, as the bass end spread more than the HF. Line arrays really can't be replaced for larger venues simply because the distances and heights make single boxes difficult to align in time. The idea of wide but narrow in height works when you have to get more level to particular points. I've been very pleased with my constant curvature VRX boxes, but as so many people tell me, it is not a line array. I know it's not, but it is perfect for certain things - and for 6 months each year it is in a 1400 seat venue that is wide, 35 rows deep, but really low in height. Ground stacking deafens the front row if you turn the system up to reach the back. With a cabinet maximum height of around 5m, the JBL works brilliantly - it's loud at the back and not deafening at the front. Sonically - I'm happy with it. We still have some Q come through and ground stacking these is a killer for the front rows. Possibly even dangerous levels 1.5m in front of them. I'd not sit there! No other support system for these fits the venue. I know the line array folk hate my VRX, but the only way to Fly a few Line array boxes would force them into the curve my VRX have - they too would not be operating in line array mode in my venue.

If you rent systems, line arrays are scalable, and if you can always fly them, they're right most of the time. Ground stacking just makes the front too loud, unless you have a way to get them up high.

I don't think that most people would argue that a synergy horn/point source would likely lead to better sound quality/audio measurements in most applications. Where that option falls down is in scalability/adaptability to different venues vs a true line array. There's pros and cons to both options--unfortunately there a many other factors involved with live sound than *just* the sound quality. Danley has really filled out their products lines over the years. The new Jericho J7 and J8 cabinets will give most small-to mid/size line array applications real competition. My personal opinion is that DSL will continue to make inroads in this space in coming years.

Reactions: Tim McCulloch