The Economist on Concert Pricing and Industry

Marlow Wilson

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Montreal/Ottawa
http://www.economist.com/node/17963345

Quote: said:
For the hottest acts, the concert business is good. Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have little problem selling tickets. Yet trouble lurks below the stratosphere. Pollstar, a research firm, estimates that the 50 biggest worldwide tours grossed $2.93 billion last year--12% less than in 2009. StubHub, a large website on which tickets are traded, says the average concert-ticket price dropped by 18% between 2008 and 2010.

Nothing really groundbreaking here, but it's interesting to see it getting mainstream attention.

Re: The Economist on Concert Pricing and Industry

http://www.economist.com/node/17963345

Quote: said:
For the hottest acts, the concert business is good. Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber have little problem selling tickets. Yet trouble lurks below the stratosphere. Pollstar, a research firm, estimates that the 50 biggest worldwide tours grossed $2.93 billion last year--12% less than in 2009. StubHub, a large website on which tickets are traded, says the average concert-ticket price dropped by 18% between 2008 and 2010.

Nothing really groundbreaking here, but it's interesting to see it getting mainstream attention.

Hello,

Nothing really groundbreaking here, but, it's interesting to see it getting attention...... I wouldn't label the ''Economist'' as ''mainstream''.

Cheers,

Hammer

I wouldn't call the ''Economist'' ''mainstream''

Cheers,

Hammer

I consider it to be mainstream as a purveyor of news and analysis. It's not specific to any industry or segment and covers business and politics.

I read it along with the New York Times, the Globe and Mail (Canadian) and Le Monde Diplomatic (French). I find local papers to be a waste of time for the most part.

The Economist is indeed mainstream in the business world and widely respected in international circles. Circulation is about 1.6 million copies per week.

Dave

I don't read it, and it has a definite audience that they appeal to, but it is a credible publication.

Not exactly news that the music business is run amateurishly... it is run by all the folks who couldn't make it playing in a band.
icon_lol.gif

JR