This looks so dangerous...............

Re: This looks so dangerous...............

View attachment 13518
this isn't staged - from fb:evil:

Ya know, I'm struggling to see the "real" danger in this pic that's floating around. The bumper is sitting on some kind of custom sled attached to the frame of the forks(as far as I can tell), the arrays are strapped fairly well, and that lift is probably lifting about 1/3 of it's capacity.

Evan

Ya know, I'm struggling to see the "real" danger in this pic that's floating around. The bumper is sitting on some kind of custom sled attached to the frame of the forks(as far as I can tell), the arrays are strapped fairly well, and that lift is probably lifting about 1/3 of it's capacity.

Evan

Yeah i saw the reply on FB from one of the crew on that gig and it was clear from his description that this was a creative but safely executed solution to a challenging gig. Not everything that looks hinky IS hinky.

Evan

This assumes that each one of those lifts has the engine running and an operator in the cab. Telehandlers are designed for moving things, not holding things still for long periods of time.

This also assumes that those cabinets are rated for a 9-box groundstack (just because you can fly a rig that long doesn't mean you can stack it that high - compression forces and tension forces are not the same, and may be handled differently by the rigging hardware)

While the load is likely perfectly safe, it's against OSHA rules to leave a load suspended while away from the controls, as well as having any load over people's heads. The position of the crowd, directly below the hung speakers would be my biggest concern. What if a hydraulic line fails and the load drops unexpectedly? Yeah, it's rare, but it certainly could happen. There's no mechanical stop to prevent it.

While the load is likely perfectly safe, it's against OSHA rules to leave a load suspended while away from the controls, as well as having any load over people's heads. The position of the crowd, directly below the hung speakers would be my biggest concern. What if a hydraulic line fails and the load drops unexpectedly? Yeah, it's rare, but it certainly could happen. There's no mechanical stop to prevent it.
Motor lifts, chain, steel and other common rigging hardware can break too. Obviously this rigging solution requires more inspection, supervision and care to keep safe, but it would appear to be in the "good enough" category, even though it makes us cringe.

Motor lifts, chain, steel and other common rigging hardware can break too. Obviously this rigging solution requires more inspection, supervision and care to keep safe, but it would appear to be in the "good enough" category, even though it makes us cringe.

And most of that hardware states on it something to the effect of "not for hoisting loads over people". From the manual for CM Lodestars:

Tie off the load with auxiliary chains or cables before access to
the area beneath the load is permitted. As an alternative, the
system may be designed such that malfunction or failure of one
hoist’s load bearing components does not cause load loss and/or
overloading of any other hoists in the system. Note that in such a
system, hoist performance and function must be monitored visually
or with use of load cells.

How many of us do that?

And most of that hardware states on it something to the effect of "not for hoisting loads over people". From the manual for CM Lodestars:

How many of us do that?
That way if something happens, they have a "way out", because you did not follow the instructions properly.

How many of us do that?

There is always the CM Loadstar hoist that is intended to "hold" loads over people...at least in Germany.

According to VPLT.SR2.0, D8 Plus chain hoists are used to lift loads during set-up and have the special
characteristic of being able to hold loads at rest above people, without using a secondary component. The
Lodestar D8+ has a minimum of 10:1 design factor, double brakes, and a clutch outside of the load path
(when power is disconnected), per the requirements of the German Code of Practice, VPLT.SR2.0.

There is always the CM Loadstar hoist that is intended to "hold" loads over people...at least in Germany.

There is also the tactic of dead hanging the motor after it has lifted the load into position. I have not seen this done often, but I have seen it done an a show with 135 motors in an arena where some of the points were 80' in the air. Once the whole rig was at trim the riggers went around with snorkel lifts and put a second piece of steel between the load and the building.

Mac

There is also the tactic of dead hanging the motor after it has lifted the load into position. I have not seen this done often, but I have seen it done an a show with 135 motors in an arena where some of the points were 80' in the air. Once the whole rig was at trim the riggers went around with snorkel lifts and put a second piece of steel between the load and the building.

Mac

We did essentially that for a famous builder of business jets (now owned by a snowmobile maker). We flew PA over a prototype aircraft and and "safetied" the *bumpers* to building steel. If the hoist let loose it would simply rest on top of the bumper and top PA box.

Mac

This is a very common practice in the UK. They safety every motor point to the steel, just in case.

Evan