Time to upgrade my amps...

Re: Time to upgrade my amps...

I don't know... "burst power" vs "real power"... hmmmm My subs have more than kick coming through...

Yes, they do... but I bet your bass guitar/synth/whatever doesn't present the peak power demand that the initial hit of the kick drum does; nor does the kick drum present the average power demand that the bass does. And remember, the reason for this amp behavior is NOT the topology of the power supply or amp circuit, it's to keep the 20amp line cord.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I would like to use the advanced DSP functions but do not have the confidence to do so yet.

It would be awesome to have a "sticky" ITECH help thread.

The sticky should be a wiki... What particular things do you need help getting going? I could make something simple for the wiki as a quick start guide I guess. I suspect it is System Architect that is the stumbling block for you and while its a bit daunting to use at first, it's literally just drag and drop for a small amp rack. Give yourself a couple hours to fiddle with it and you should be able to get everything running just fine. I had some experience with Soundweb Designer which may have helped me out, but with several left clicks and a few right clicks you can have a single amp set-up in no time.

If you have any specific questions just start a thread and ask. If you are wondering about limiter settings I would suggest a search of the old PSW would give you the info to make educated decisions about how to set limiters, and you'll probably learn something on the way.

Shouldn't that limiter be at 2400w @ 2.6 ohms if you are running (3) SRX 718s per channel?

The RMS limiter has a default (and configurable) attack time of 10 sec. Setting it to 2400w. will ensure it never engages. Unless he's doing EDM or some genre with continuous, high level LF, I would dump the RMS limiters entirely and use the peak voltage limiters, somewhere in the 110-130v range. If Matt needs the RMS limiters, I'd suggest 1200w to start with and monitor with System Architect to watch how often the limiters kick in. It is possible to screw yourself with the ITech limiters.. you can keep a continuous amount of power running to the subs and still suck the life out of them. Eventually the coils will start to fail.

If one is into RMS limit on a continuous basis, either the setting is wrong or there's Not Enough Rig for the Gig™.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

The RMS limiter has a default (and configurable) attack time of 10 sec. Setting it to 2400w. will ensure it never engages. Unless he's doing EDM or some genre with continuous, high level LF, I would dump the RMS limiters entirely and use the peak voltage limiters, somewhere in the 110-130v range. If Matt needs the RMS limiters, I'd suggest 1200w to start with and monitor with System Architect to watch how often the limiters kick in. It is possible to screw yourself with the ITech limiters.. you can keep a continuous amount of power running to the subs and still suck the life out of them. Eventually the coils will start to fail.

If one is into RMS limit on a continuous basis, either the setting is wrong or there's Not Enough Rig for the Gig™.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

But if you are setting the RMS limiters don't you have too add the continuous wattage rating of each box?
So the SRX718 is 800w @ 8ohms, that would be 2400w @ 2.6ohms running (3) SRX718's per channel?

What am I missing here? (besides my mind)

They'll be in power compression before you give them 800w. long enough to engage the limiter a couple of times. Just because 800w doesn't make the voice coil do an immediate Joan of Arc impression, doesn't mean that more useful output is being delivered.

Last edited:

Not necessarily.
I often run a PL380 on a 15 amp circuit loaded to 2 ohms on sub duty and have never had a problem. Having said that, the amp was never driven to the edge. It is certainly not ideal, but it can work.

+1, outdoors with 2@728 on each side of the amp, 20 A breaker.

I'm sure I could pop the breaker, but I haven't yet.

But if you are setting the RMS limiters don't you have too add the continuous wattage rating of each box?
So the SRX718 is 800w @ 8ohms, that would be 2400w @ 2.6ohms running (3) SRX718's per channel?

What am I missing here? (besides my mind)

What everyone is missing is that even though Crown is asking for a wattage @ an impedance, it is still converting it back to a voltage behind the scenes. So whether it is 800 watts @8, 1600 watts @4 or 3200 watts @2, this is all the exact same voltage limiter.

Embrace the DSP!

I bought all Crown XTI2000's for my Meyer Ultra Series system for a few reasons. One is that I can switch out an amp if there was failure without much thought AND if I ever had DSP failure in a M1a or B2a I could get xover settings out of the XTI's with a little thought. There's not that much DSP built into those units- XOVER, Delay, EQ (2 bands?), Limiting and Routing (Stereo, Bridge and Internal Y). Of course the default is DSP off.

I don't use the DSP but it's nice to know I could save a show if my processing failed.