Tips for making SRM450's sound less offensive?

Chris Gruber

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Rodgers-town, Wisco
Besides burning them, is there anything I can do to make them more palatable for a rock band over their SRS1500 subs? Its a house rig and I would rather not use it but the client doesn't want to pay for my rig. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Tips for making SRM450's sound less offensive?

If it is the house rig, it is also what the patrons are used to hearing there. Make it sound as good as the last time they were their and the patrons will be happy.

If it is the house rig, it is also what the patrons are used to hearing there. Make it sound as good as the last time they were their and the patrons will be happy.

That shouldn't be too hard, they normally run the rig into the subs then out to the tops with no processing. I have permission so I figure I'll patch in the Driverack and do a little work.

That shouldn't be too hard, they normally run the rig into the subs then out to the tops with no processing. I have permission so I figure I'll patch in the Driverack and do a little work.

It sounds like you are in a band or do sound for a band. What are the band requirements? Do you have a rider? What does it specify? If the house rig isn't up to the task, trying to make it work will probably compromise your sound and the success of the gig. If you are an 'above average' band for the place, explaining to the owner that you have 'above average' requirements might help him understand why he needs to hire in the proper equipment.

CAT D9 eq.

I raise you a D10.

d10good.jpg

It sounds like you are in a band or do sound for a band. What are the band requirements? Do you have a rider? What does it specify? If the house rig isn't up to the task, trying to make it work will probably compromise your sound and the success of the gig. If you are an 'above average' band for the place, explaining to the owner that you have 'above average' requirements might help him understand why he needs to hire in the proper equipment.

4 piece rock band, drums, guitar, bass, vocals playing classic and modern rock covers. The bar owner contracted me to mix for a band(I've worked with them before, good guys), I explained that his system will more than likely be less than adequate. He still wants to use it, so this is basically a walk on, although I am bringing my FOH and mic package. I just figured I would try and improve on whats there and see what happens.

Don't try to pretend that they can play loudly, and you should have an OK night. Better those than a pair of Bose L1M2 sticks :)

I agree. I have used the SRM450s successfully for full bands on many occasions and they work. Just don't push into the limiters too much, don't put stuff in the mix that doesn't need to be there.

Greg

4 piece rock band, drums, guitar, bass, vocals playing classic and modern rock covers. The bar owner contracted me to mix for a band(I've worked with them before, good guys), I explained that his system will more than likely be less than adequate. He still wants to use it, so this is basically a walk on, although I am bringing my FOH and mic package. I just figured I would try and improve on whats there and see what happens.

If I were asked to do a gig and I didn't think I could make it work with the existing equipment, I would kindly decline and say something like this, "I am unable to mix this band for you, since I know their requirements and what your system is capable of, and I don't want the resulting poor sound to be a reflection on me or my mixing abilities."

One school of thought is that you should start with big things before working down to the details.

Big things like the foundation, HVAC,...pretty much the entire structure.

The other school of thought is that with 2 treads working at once you can flatten whatever you want.

Having owned SRM450's, we used them for my bar band as our speakers on sticks before upgrading to QSC 122i's. For vocals and keys they're fine and can get loud up to a point for 50-75 people. We used them for monitors until the end of last year.

Given you don't have keyboards, what besides vocals would go in there? Since you have Subs, vocals, bass gtr and kick would seem to be fine. Are the amps loud enough on their own, or do they need to be mic'd/DI'd into the PA? I'm guessing that if the stage volume is enough for everyone to hear each other, the SRM450's will be fine for vocals and slight enhancement.

Yes, there are better speakers, but there are also far worse. Some of you may remember i upgraded from JRX115's, and at the time really appreciated the improvement in sound quality.

Oh, and I'll see your D10 and raise you a D11N.

Attachments

• D11n1.jpg
    D11n1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

Is the cost the issue or does the bar manager not want to move the existing PA? I work with a way above average musician that likes to play small rooms. The rooms are small in production budget so I am constantly loading gear into a venue for no extra pay. I do it for me. I can't stand sitting back and not getting what I want out of a PA system. I'll admit that I'm not a good businessman in these areas, but in the end the artist and their fans are appreciative. Our fans can hear the difference, where most bar managers can "taste" the difference (and I'm talking about anything audio related here)

Is the cost the issue or does the bar manager not want to move the existing PA? I work with a way above average musician that likes to play small rooms. The rooms are small in production budget so I am constantly loading gear into a venue for no extra pay. I do it for me. I can't stand sitting back and not getting what I want out of a PA system. I'll admit that I'm not a good businessman in these areas, but in the end the artist and their fans are appreciative. Our fans can hear the difference, where most bar managers can "taste" the difference (and I'm talking about anything audio related here)

If the quality is important to the artist but not the promoter, the artist should insist on a suitable system or REFUSE to take the booking. If the promoter does not want to pay for the rig and quality production is important to the artist, he should hire it himself and pass on the expense in his fee. Period. If this doesn't happen you will be schlepping free gear for the rest of his career.

Last edited:

Tim - agreed, but is this band at a level where they can ask on gear, or are they happy to get the gig, and asking is either out of the question or could make them lose the gig.