Tips for making SRM450's sound less offensive?

Re: Tips for making SRM450's sound less offensive?

I work with a way above average musician that likes to play small rooms.

It's up to the artist to decide if he wants to play small rooms and sound bad or play small rooms and sound good. The choice is his alone.

Kip is basically meeting a need that's not being paid for, and that is the basis for my comments.

Have fun, etc.

Tim Mc

This has been making me laugh. Having done 14 shows in May on 14 different systems, all as walkups as a BE, several truths come out:

1. Every bar/ listening room with a small PA thinks they spent a lot of money on it, no matter what type of RPS it really is.
2. None of them care what you think is wrong with their system, or that things are better elsewhere, or that you personally own better.
3. As long as you are not out of the bounds pf what they are used to or feeding back constantly, no one could care less about your precious mix.

Not being appropriately diplomatic about any of the above will be seen as a negative and will likely result in neither you nor the band neing welcome back. You can make the argument that you don't need a gig like that, but it is probably not the job of the tech to be making that decision for the band. My goal is to make sure that in every room I am remembered as the guy who came in, quickly and efficiently set up for a good show so the band could do their job. Once you have done this and are a known factor, then you can get away with asking for more.

I just thought that I would love to get responses to more than 2 out of 4 of the advances I send to places like this, and that more than 1 in 4 truthfully describe what they have. How many traveling techs acting like a sound god does it take before they don't want to talk to any of us? I still believe that one of the reasons bands hire me is because I can get results from just about anything thrown up. If every place had a great system that meets all the points of my rider, then I wouldn't really need to show up, nor would the band need to pay me.

The best way to make SRM450s sound better is to use the old grey EONs for a few weeks then - hey presto - the SRMs will sound good.
M

I wasnt offended in any way Tim if that is what you are clarifying. I stay pretty busy with a decent wage because I choose to donate what is needed here and there. Luckily I work with people that have tech riders and it gives explicit instruction on what I will be doing. Also, knowing the state of the our economy in regards to the small rooms that we play it makes more sense for me to supplement what I need, when I need it and no cost to the venue. A great sounding show puts people back in the seats and sells more records at the show (and since I engineer the records too, that part is important to me). I have never had a venue manager get pissed at me for a going sounding show. I'm also lucky that we we don't play bars- it would be inappropriate venue for a singer-songwriter.

I own the gear, why not use it? I won't take on any costs such as renting a truck, but if it will fit into the jeep I have never minded taking it along.

That shouldn't be too hard, they normally run the rig into the subs then out to the tops with no processing. I have permission so I figure I'll patch in the Driverack and do a little work.

You can help them with a drive rack. If they'll let you patch it in, go for it.
I sometimes take my LS9-16 with me to walk ons just to make my job easier.