Trees/Forest

Dick Rees

Curmudgeonly Scandihoovian
Jan 11, 2011
St Paul, MN
I attended a short concert given by a piano playing friend, sponsorship by a local (large) music store to celebrate their long relationship with Steinway. The CEO prefaced the event with some apt remarks, thanking the Steinway CEO and giving a nod to the local acoustician who had hung some drapes and put up some diffusers along the walls in a pleasing geometric pattern.

I spent the entire time listening to a stellar artist on a very decent instrument playing in a room with no HF and 50dB white noise from the HVAC.

(grump)

Re: Trees/Forest

Dick Rees
user-offline.png

Curmudgeonly Scandihoovian

As far as the room is concerned had the opposite happen, lovely old recital room here was refurbished and all the soft furnishing and "odd" looking roof and wall panels were removed now it's an echo chamber in a not nice way, complete with well maintained Bechstein.

As far as the room is concerned had the opposite happen, lovely old recital room here was refurbished and all the soft furnishing and "odd" looking roof and wall panels were removed now it's an echo chamber in a not nice way, complete with well maintained Bechstein.

Lol!!! "Great Acoustics" is code for sounds good with a solo violin and no more that that! Every hall that advertises this sounds like a gymnasium with amplified music.

John I know you record in studios, this place sounds like an Eventide plate with a drunk drummer hitting it, the "odd" looking panels were old absorbers and bass traps that had been put in for classical radio broadcasts first in the 30's and then later in the 50's what we have now is a 80'x 60'x 25' box with bare walls and a wooden floor and huge windows down one side, sure you can sit 80 people in it now but don't try playing anything inc a violin, of course there's no budget to sort it now G

John I know you record in studios, this place sounds like an Eventide plate with a drunk drummer hitting it, the "odd" looking panels were old absorbers and bass traps that had been put in for classical radio broadcasts first in the 30's and then later in the 50's what we have now is a 80'x 60'x 25' box with bare walls and a wooden floor and huge windows down one side, sure you can sit 80 people in it now but don't try playing anything inc a violin, of course there's no budget to sort it now G

This is similar to someone inheriting a nice violin, then "improving" it by sanding off the original finish and coating it with epoxy. The sad thing is that it's not just an analogy. I've actually seen this done.